Varget for AR-15

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a couple lbs of Varget leftover from when I was shooting long range matches. I really liked that it didn't seem to be as temperature sensitive as some of the other rifle powders.

Has anyone used it for 53 gr or 55 gr 223 loads. I have been collecting 223 brass and plan to likely use the 53 gr Hornady V-Max bullet. The loads I have seen on other forums use 25-26 gr of Varget with similar bullets, but none of these "Internet" loads give velocity of group size info.

I have zero experience loading 223 and I'm open to all suggestions.

dennishoddy

I have 4lbs of Varget in my loading cabinet. It was bought for the .243WSSM upper.
I don't shoot it that much, so am going to use it with some Nosler .55 grain bullets.
So, like you its going to be a new learning cycle.
Its supposed to be one of the favoite powders out there for the .223.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I've not used it. But everyone I've talked to that has said it really shines with the heavier bullets. 55s not so much. IMR 8208 is what I'm playing with at the moment. I really really want it to work because it's supposed to be even better than Varget as to temps. It does meter pretty well and.... it's really clean!

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
Quick follow up question. When shooting a new load to test group size, do you put a higher power scope on your AR?

I've shot sub MOA groups with my Burris XTR 1-4x at 100 yds, but I've also have shot some pretty crappy groups also with the same ammo. My guess is that it is my lack of skill with a 4x scope. I just don't want to discount the accuracy/load of a particular powder or bullet because I don't shoot good groups with a 4x scope.

dennishoddy

I haven't seen the data you have about the 55 grain. I saw a recipe on the lable for the 55 grain that convinced me to try it.
I'm tempted to try the new powder that is supposed to help with the copper fouling, although I've not experienced any of that.

xdnok

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a couple lbs of Varget leftover from when I was shooting long range matches. I really liked that it didn't seem to be as temperature sensitive as some of the other rifle powders.

Has anyone used it for 53 gr or 55 gr 223 loads. I have been collecting 223 brass and plan to likely use the 53 gr Hornady V-Max bullet. The loads I have seen on other forums use 25-26 gr of Varget with similar bullets, but none of these "Internet" loads give velocity of group size info.

I have zero experience loading 223 and I'm open to all suggestions.

While not the most efficient powder for 55gr bullets, it is VERY consistent. My load for 55gr Extreme bullets is 26gr Varget with 2925 fps velocity and nice little groups.

Wes

imhntn

Founding Member
I use 27 gr of Varget w/ 55 gr Vmax for prairie dogs and it shoots great. That is in a bolt gun though and loaded out close to the rifling.

dennishoddy

I use 27 gr of Varget w/ 55 gr Vmax for prairie dogs and it shoots great. That is in a bolt gun though and loaded out close to the rifling.

In my semi's I'll stay with the recomended OAL.
Bolt guns get a little dykem on the test round, and when I see its engaged the rifling, I'll back it off about .001.
The bench rest guys that actually rotate their rounds in a jig for consistancy want them to engage the rifling slightly, and adjust their loads accordingly. Thats not my ballgame, but something I saw and talked about when at the National Matches at Camp Perry a few years ago.
I was there as a volunteer, not a shooter.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
Quick follow up question. When shooting a new load to test group size, do you put a higher power scope on your AR?

I've shot sub MOA groups with my Burris XTR 1-4x at 100 yds, but I've also have shot some pretty crappy groups also with the same ammo. My guess is that it is my lack of skill with a 4x scope. I just don't want to discount the accuracy/load of a particular powder or bullet because I don't shoot good groups with a 4x scope.

I've found that if I pay attention to target size when compared to my scope I get the best accuracy potential. I was shown the wonder of shooting at the just over 2" post it notes at 200 yards which shows the slightest amount around the outside of the reticule in my TR-24. Try and match what you shoot at on the target to the dot/crosshair in your scope such that its easy to line up well.

hrt4me

Active Fanatic
I've found that if I pay attention to target size when compared to my scope I get the best accuracy potential. I was shown the wonder of shooting at the just over 2" post it notes at 200 yards which shows the slightest amount around the outside of the reticle in my TR-24. Try and match what you shoot at on the target to the dot/crosshair in your scope such that its easy to line up well.

good tip

Latest posts