Utah non-resident CC permits

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I have seen people offering a non-resident Utah concealed carry license to people living here (and elsewhere) What is the advantage of having a permit from a state other than your resident state?

Maybe Rod Snell will chime in, I know he offers (or did) the Utah classes.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Utah has the most reciprocity for CCL & much cheaper fees than OK.
$65.25 application fee & $10 renewals (5 years).

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Utah has the most reciprocity for CCL & much cheaper fees than OK.
$65.25 application fee & $10 renewals (5 years).

I think there are 36 states that currently honor an OK permit. I don't see the advantage for an Oklahoman to get one (except for the fee)

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
If your planning an out-of-state move or subject to a quick transfer having a Utah non resident could bridge the wait.
Some states require 6 months residence to apply and Ok wants their card back when you leave.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
If your planning an out-of-state move or subject to a quick transfer having a Utah non resident could bridge the wait.
Some states require 6 months residence to apply and Ok wants their card back when you leave.

ahhhhh, makes more sense now. I just couldn't figure out what was so special about Utah. I guess they have the most lenient rules regarding non-residents

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
FL has reciprocity with 40 states...thats what I have and there are certain limitations as far as carrying a "weapon" vs a pistol. ie- North Carolina

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
As much as I need to get an Oklahoma CHL I really hate all the bureaucratic BS this supposedly pro gun state attaches to getting one.  Class time I can see, the utterly stupid range portion okay, but the fees associated with the process are retardedly high.  Added to this is the treatment some people have gotten from their county sheriffs and the whole process kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth.  "Keep" and "bear" to me mean it's mine and I have it on me respectively; it should not be harder to exercise a right than it is to file your taxes, but that's just my opinion.  

Utah's BCI (I think that's the department you work with) is the most knowledgeable and helpful state agency I have ever dealt with.  I had a question about a past name change and the person who answered the phone was able to help me in less than five minutes time.  I had my permit back to me in less than 30 days and when I renew it's only 5 or 10 bucks for another five years.  Plus when I got mine there were states that didn't take the OK CHL that were fine with the Utah non resident CHL.  

All that being said some states do not recognize non resident permits so I do need to go through the process regardless of my feelings.  

I feel better now after that vent, thanks guys!

michaelclm

Banned from the timer
The primary reason for my wanting it was to have a spare. I would like to keep my DL and Utah CCL in the car and carry an OK state ID card and OK CCL in my wallet. The reason for this is that one truly only needs (as far as I can see, anyway) a DL while he's driving. If I lose my wallet I don't want to be out my DL and CCL in one fell swoop. This way, I have my DL and spare CCL in the car until the ID and OK CCL can be replaced.

A caveat: As of July of last year, if you get the Utah non-resident permit, you must have a valid CCL in your home state of residence to renew the UT license. All future licensees must already have their home state's CCL in order to apply for UT.

The other reasons (cost, convenience, etc.) are all valid reasons and, as was stated, the primary reason that most people go the UT route.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
As of July of last year, if you get the Utah non-resident permit, you must have a valid CCL in your home state of residence to renew the UT license. All future licensees must already have their home state's CCL in order to apply for UT.

I was curious as to why there was a significant drop in adds for Utah Non-Resident CCL classes mid last year.

Wolf44

Fanatic
Just have to look at your 'needed' states and roll with it. Pretty much OK, TX cover most, then Non Res. FL or Utah.... will get you most sane places!