USTRA Tactical Rifle Match

robot

Well-Known Fanatic
Had a great time shooting this match. USTRA (http://ustacticalrifle.org) is essentially USPSA with ARs. The scoring system is also super simple. You need 7 points to neutralize each target. A=5, B/C = 4, D=2. Any difference is the amount of seconds you add as penalty.

Enjoy!

Chambers

actual GM
Looks fun. Interesting scoring, but it seems like a lot of math!

Is there ever any long range?

Chambers

actual GM
Ah, nevermind. Right on the website:

USTRA competition is geared specifically to commonly-issued “tactical” rifles, “practical” gear, and shorter-range, “urban” distances (e.g. these are not “sniper” or long-range precision events).

So I guess it's just hosing!

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I guess they're pretty loose on the 180 rule?

Looks like a blast! When Where and How much is the next one? Chambers, this is right up our alley. Lets go!

robot

Well-Known Fanatic
here, checkout this URL : http://www.custersportsmensclub.com/tactical3gun.html for more info, or you could setup one easily in your range by following the rules published on the USTRA website. Match fee at Custer is only $15. Really cheap considering the kind of stages they put up.

Scoring looks complicated, but all we look for is, as long as you have two hits and one in the A zone, that's automatically neutralized. if it's Charlie/Delta, then -1. We just count the penalties. scoring is VERY fast, and we score and tape as we walk downrange following the shooter.

some of the stages were 270deg bays, so 180 is behind the shooter. RO will try to stay behind the shooter but depending on stage design, might end up on the side.

the longest range we've ever shot is 135yards in the jungle stage.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
This match looks super bad ass! From the video I'm thinking that I'd get lost in the middle of a stage and have to send up a flare for help. lol...

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Looks like a great match! Do you guys set up those walls differently for every match or are they alwasy where they are at? That would be a tremendous amount of work right there.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
Okay, who's coordinating the first one of these and when is it?
this looks like a job for a man that is middle aged, not scared to rock a goatee, not scared to step out onto the ice even if it is dangerous, who oh who will answer this call???

robot

Well-Known Fanatic
SWAT Rodeo
Looks like a great match! Do you guys set up those walls differently for every match or are they alwasy where they are at? That would be a tremendous amount of work right there.

Jesse,

the guys at Custer do an amazing job every match! The walls are mainly around the bays, they have lots of them lying around and they usually reuse them. For instance, Bay 1, the walls are always there, they just move it around every match to create different mazes.

Custer also hosts a USPSA match the week before, so they setup for that match, and reuse the designs, change positions of the target here and there, add more paper and remove the steel plates for the USTRA match.

you should come by one time to shoot it! The one right after the SWAT Rodeo (LE/Mil only match) is the best! high round count 300-400rnds. I think that happens in July. I know it's a long drive but really fun.

Loke

Latest posts