USPSA vs IDPA

Unionman

Active Fanatic
I have never shot USPSA mainly because I am a relatively new shooter and was introduced to IDPA first! What are the major differences and how do I get started in USPSA??????? Is there a division where i can run a pretty much stock STI Trojan in 9mm?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
USPSA has divisions set up so that any gun can be accomodated by one or more of them. It has few stringent rules. Come to a match, and we will help you get going.
Your best bet with that gun would be Single Stack division.

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
You don't have to worry about concealment or shooting from cover in USPSA. You also don't have to worry about retaining mags when reloading. Your 9mm 1911 works in single stack and limited 10, but you will be stuck with minor scoring. Minor scoring is A-5, B/C-3, D-1. Major is A-5, B/C-4, D-2. IDPA is time plus scoring. USPSA is based on hit factor with is score divided by the time it took you to shoot the stage.

Unionman

Active Fanatic
Sounds great! What is a good match for a first timer??????? Would love to get started.

I appreciate the input.
Also...... Is minor PF 125?

Unionman

Active Fanatic
I am in!!!!!!!

Are there club matches or......... Where is a good match to get started?????? I am in the Tulsa area.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
Not jumping topics put there are two proams in your neck of the woods one at USSA & one at oil capital this weekend. 9 mm is perfect for this. Course is all steel 10 rd max capacity, shoot as many targets as you can before time runs out. Just ask away if you have more questions.

SpaceFlunky

Well-Known Fanatic
im just gonna keep posting this in every USPSA/IDPA thread I see.

ScIUuvi.jpg

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
After proam see when the next USPSA is at USSA as well as steel challenge. You live in a great part of the state Jeff hughs @ USSA & Renalto @ Oil Capital are great guys and put on great matches. Pretty quick I am sure you will have ample 3 gun questions. Shooting in Oklahoma is limited by time & money there are lots of good pistol matches all around.
Good luck & have fun

Unionman

Active Fanatic
Thanks Corey!!!!! I appreciate the insight. I would love to make the Proam but gotta play firefighter this weekend at my real job!!! I will find something soon though!

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic
UCO Shooter said:
You should be able to run production with that gun and not have to worry about major or minor scoring!
When did single action pistols get put on the production list. Or am I missing something? STI trojan is a 1911,

Unionman

Active Fanatic
Keith..... I have spent a couple training sessions with Eric Fuson!!!!!! It has helped a ton!

Latest posts