Using dedicated "Brassers" in a match

I have read about different ranges that have a rotating person on their squad as dedicated brass recovery person, or "brasser"

I have never seen this done, but it would be awesome if we had something like this in place. How great would it be for someone to hand you your brass back after you shoot each stage?

If you think about it, most of our squads have 10-12 minimum and I'm proud to say, that most people I've squadded with are great at resetting a stage quickly...so much that sometimes everyone goes out and a few come back because all the targets are done before they can get there.

I just wondered if anyone has ever shot any matches where this occurs and how well this works or doesn't

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
There's a few guys at tri city that do this quite often and it works pretty well, but..... the stages there usually always have designated shooting boxes so the brass always ends up in the same spots.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
If you look at match videos from Arizona, it's very common there. Probably a regional thing. I bet if we ran squads well, it would work.

dennishoddy

We used to do that at the Ponca city Range several years ago.
Always turned out that the same one or two people would be shagging brass for everybody else by the end of the match and when the "shaggers" shot, nobody picked up theirs.
So now it's every shooter for themselves after the match.

I think it would only work if it rotated to be fair with the exception of those that physically can't

mikey80

Negative Approach
Jason Grant said:
I have read about different ranges that have a rotating person on their squad as dedicated brass recovery person, or "brasser"

I have never seen this done, but it would be awesome if we had something like this in place. How great would it be for someone to hand you your brass back after you shoot each stage?

If you think about it, most of our squads have 10-12 minimum and I'm proud to say, that most people I've squadded with are great at resetting a stage quickly...so much that sometimes everyone goes out and a few come back because all the targets are done before they can get there.

I just wondered if anyone has ever shot any matches where this occurs and how well this works or doesn't
this happens at matches that are held on public ranges, in my experience.

You have to brass at The High Desert Classic.

If you dont, some other cheapskate will pick your brass up.

TerryKendell

Well-Known Fanatic
Go watch the cowboy action shooters pick up brass on the second Saturday.

You need the following, Golf club with the head removed and a large tea strainer attached.(Small rocks fall threw) or a bucket with a rope attached to reach the ground with out bending over.
Harbor Freight peanut or nut picker upper (10.00)

Remember that they are only picking up 10 rifle rounds shot from the same location and 6-8 shotgun hulls. The pistol brass is removed at the unloading table.

Hoop

Well-Known Fanatic
I haven't shot many matches, but seems there is always the one range chicken that does a hell of a job of picking up everyone else's brass when they should be helping tape/re-set targets. They don't seem to mind pocketing that **** either.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
They don't seem to mind pocketing that **** either.
I don't mind them pocketing it either, Id just like to see them do it after the match

luke.reninger

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm cheap so if you want to pick up my brass and hand it back. I'll take it.

I hate seeing someone pick up brass between every shooter instead of resetting.

Personally, I think you should just do it all afterwords or pick up a few pieces after you reset a couple targets.

Dedicated brasser is an interesting idea but seems to distract from the resetting.

That persons job is just to pick up brass after one shooter, then rotate to resetting and so on

Jason Grant said:
That persons job is just to pick up brass after one shooter, then rotate to resetting and so on
except that very few people will not take a break here and there, grab a burger, take a pee, etc etc.
for every one awesome squad guy, theres 2-3 that are either too weak or old or lazy to do as much as others. I say that judgement free, not ragging, just observing

ShaneP

Looks good to me
If there is an open shooter on my squad, I'm talking real open shooter, not that 9 major sissy stuff ;), then I'll help them pickup after they shoot IF there are enough people to help tape/reset. I always wait until after the match and teardown to grab brass unless my squad is waiting for the squad in front of us etc.

Latest posts