USCCA

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Respectfully, there's no such thing as "always the best plan." Half of all lawyers graduated in the bottom 50% of their class. Far, far fewer than half have ever defended a legitimately innocent person in a genuine lethal force self-defense case. Only a handful have ever done it more than once. And 0 got more than a 90-min discussion of self-defense law in law school.

Just because a lawyer says something doesn't mean they know what they're talking about.

Always STFU is great advice when you know in advance that all your clients are guilty because, well, they're criminals. Of course that's the advice from internet lawyers whose career is spent defending criminals.

But frankly, the random lawyer who has made his living defending drug dealers and murderers is not the lawyer I want on my side. I want a lawyer who actually understands self-defense law, preferably one who has actually succeeded in a lethal force case.

So, if you're a drug dealer/pedophile/wife beater/etc yes, absolutely STFU. You're guilty and nothing you say is gonna help. But if you're in a legitimate self-defense scenario you may benefit from spending some time beforehand considering, studying and thinking about what experienced self-defense law experts have to say - and it is more nuanced than a universal/unilateral STFU.

In addition, identify a competent self-defense lawyer in advance. Make them your lawyer. Then talk with *your* lawyer about what *you* should do if ever in such a situation. Don't get legal advice over the internet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No (competent) attorney would advise (or codone or NOT regret) their client to talk to the police at the scene without council

Sandtrap

Fanatic
I researched them all and found US Lawshield to be best for me. I've been to seminars and met some of their lawyers.
If you are going carry and have to use your gun you will be detained/arrested no matter the circumstances. having the proper type of lawyer on speed dial is well worth having.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm a USCCA Instructor (as well as NRA) but don't have USCCA Insurance. As above, get daily eMails from them which almost always are solicitations to sell something. What I do have is the name of an attorney that is one of my martial arts instructors who has defended numerous police officers involved in shootings. He's not only a friend but an excellent attorney with many years experience in such defense activities. An interesting background; martial arts instructor for military, federal and local police and a firearms instructor as well. An even more interesting personal defense background with knife and barehanded defense and offense. His course is tough but really good. I always leave with bruises, but after many years of martial arts experience can honestly say that he, from a practical aspect, is the best.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
cool post . looking up an attorney who specializes in self defense with a gun cases is a great idea

thanks

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
cool post . looking up an attorney who specializes in self defense with a gun cases is a great idea

thanks
I'm not sure I would have found him by trying a search. How it happened was interesting in itself. Went to the NRA Personal Defense meeting in San Antonio last fall. They offered a seminar on edged weapons so thought I would go. It was pretty good and the same guy put on an in depth 4 hour course that afternoon which I signed up for. He had some people attending that had been studying this form of martial arts for several years. One of whom was Harley Elmore, who was there to assist. Have done a lot of martial arts down through the years but nothing like this. It was Kali, and these guys (and one girl) were nationally known in this Filipino form of knife, stick and empty hand fighting. Went back home and did a search for a similar and recognized (Inosanto affiliated) school. Found only one and it started there. He was one of the instructors that also taught Jeet Kune Do. After a few months I got to know him and in personal conversation got his background as an attorney. As he found out more about my background (surgeon, former cop, marine, etc) got around to asking if he would be willing to represent me if involved in a shooting episode. Like a lot of things, it all slowly evolved. As is my training in Kali and Jeet June Do. No belts just a lot of hard work and bruises.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not sure I would have found him by trying a search. How it happened was interesting in itself. Went to the NRA Personal Defense meeting in San Antonio last fall. They offered a seminar on edged weapons so thought I would go. It was pretty good and the same guy put on an in depth 4 hour course that afternoon which I signed up for. He had some people attending that had been studying this form of martial arts for several years. One of whom was Harley Elmore, who was there to assist. Have done a lot of martial arts down through the years but nothing like this. It was Kali, and these guys (and one girl) were nationally known in this Filipino form of knife, stick and empty hand fighting. Went back home and did a search for a similar and recognized (Inosanto affiliated) school. Found only one and it started there. He was one of the instructors that also taught Jeet Kune Do. After a few months I got to know him and in personal conversation got his background as an attorney. As he found out more about my background (surgeon, former cop, marine, etc) got around to asking if he would be willing to represent me if involved in a shooting episode. Like a lot of things, it all slowly evolved. As is my training in Kali and Jeet June Do. No belts just a lot of hard work and bruises.
nice story. thanks for your service too Doc

Trump.45

Fanatic
Just imagine how much money could be saved in certain areas without having to use hard sell advertisements constantly.

chuck.panoff

Fanatic
I've been a member of ACLDN for the last 6-7 years. I've not had a defensive shooting incident.

The ACLDN is a membership organization started by gun owners
who banded together to start it.

Take a look at:

and:

The annual dues are very reasonable
and the benefits are very beneficial.

I heartily recommend ACLDN.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
been debating whether to join or not. seems like a good idea. Insurance is best bought and neve rused--kind of like guns for defense right?

what ar e your ideas and experiences with this group? do you feel it is worth the price of admission?
Check out US Law Shield...price was a lot more reasonable. If you guys know of a better deal of problems with US Law Shield please let everyone know.

pistolgrips

Well-Known Fanatic
You need to closely research both USCCA and US LAW SHIELD.

There are three levels of "membership" with USCCA, all pretty reasonable for what you get. Military, LEO, First Responders (active and retired) receive a substantial discount.

USCCA pays legal fees UP FRONT. You pick your lawyer - any lawyer. There are no "program" lawyers; they do have recommended lawyers in most states.

Do the research on US Law Shield.Unless something has changed in recent years, US Law Shield is a *reimbursement*program.

Plus- USCCA offers training (video and live), a bi-monthly magazine worth reading, forums, a yearly national meeting, etc.

In my book, USCCA is the only worthwhile program of it's sort. (Of course, you can "retain" Andrew Branca- IF he decides he will take your case. Only $49 : month, which on a yearly basis is more $$ than the highest level of USCCA membership.)

DO YOUR RESEARCH.

Sandtrap

Fanatic
I think you have it backwards, us Lawshield is no out of pocket no limit.

Last edited:

pistolgrips

Well-Known Fanatic
I think you have it backwards, us Lawshield is no out of pocket no limit.
There's no out-of-pocket expenses with USCCA. What I said - and if you read it- was that "unless something has changed" it's a reimbursement deal. And it was initially a reimbursement situation in many if not all states. Apparently not anymore. The drawback (as I see it) with US law shield is that you have to use one of their attorneys, at least that's the way I read it. Also, there are a bunch of "add-ons" on top of your $11 per month membership. USCCA has no add-ons. You get all of the same for the most part.
I said "do you research" at least two times. That's my point. Figure out which is best for you.

Latest posts