Urban Hunting

Underdude

Well-Known Fanatic
I need some advice......Where I live borders a state park. Yesterday from my balcony I watched a pair of coyotes snooping around behind my building. Not so unusual right? They were not afraid of me. I called the HOA and animal control as was told since there was no immediate danger they would not come out. There are pets and children around all the time.
If I had to use a firearm to stop an attack, what should I use?
My options are.....22lr rifle, 9mm, 40, and 44mag handguns, 243 bolt gun, or 32 Win lever gun. I'll skip the FAL. There are lots of dwellings around so overpenetration is an issue. I need some hunters advice.

Underdude

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not a hunter and refuse to shoot animals except in defense or to sustain life (food).
I was after an effective cartridge with little chance for over-penetration.

NO I'm NOT a bunny hugger, to each his own. Hunting makes the world go-round.

Schultz

Well-Known Fanatic
Shrapnel762 said:
I would throw some meat out and sit on the balcony at night with a .22 w/ subsonic ammo.

Being that you live in Kommiefornia this is probably your best bet.

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
First of all, do you have a comcealed weapons permit or are allowed to open carry there? If not, you will get yourself in BIG trouble even if defending yourself or family members. Coming to the defense of your neighbors or even strangers would be bad too, even with the "Hero" factor. That being said, I think it is safe to say that any or all long arms are out of the picture. If you are allowed to carry, stick with the 9mm or .40. Those are most likely what you would carry, right? The .44 Mag is probably a bigger piece than you would carry I am guessing and has the greatest chance of penetrating a dwelling. Remember, these are like dogs but are also pack animals- you saw two of them, there may easily be more. You should also carry a knife that is legal as well at the very least. Reason being that they can get up close and VERY personal pretty quickly. If you can't pull the pistol fast enough or wind up losing it somehow(a bite to the arm/wrist could easily cause this) that knife could mean the difference between life and death.

Hell, I live in the city here and have had a fox killing cats in our tiny yard- coyotes are out on the fringes of the city as well, you never know what can happen. We can't even shoot animals here in self defense- go figure. :roll:

The main points:

Know your predators
Play it safe
Play it legal
Practice, practice, practice!(as spoken to me by Dr. Frost Von Ramper, Cardioballistic MD)

Good luck to you, hopefully you will never have to deal with them. However, the coyote is the only predator in the country that has actually thrived instead of being endangered- there are more out there than all of us actually realize! :idea:

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
IF...I was to do what you are talking about, I would use the 9mm.

I would get some Glazer Saftey Slugs, and, make as close a shot as possible...

The Glazers are made to destroy themselves on impact with any hard surface. They are not suspose to richocet or penetrate things like walls...They are suspose to be used for home protection where stray bullets could cause problems.

The 9mm is not all that loud in an Urban setting...

Of course...you results could very...depending on users useage....and, I hold no blame...YEDDE, YEDDA, YEDDA....LOL

Steve

Underdude

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks people,

First, nope no ccw here, but I carry 95% of the time. I can get out of jail, not the cemetary.

Second, I don't want to be a hero, but I won't allow a kid to get hurt or killed.
Jail is an acceptable result to preventing that.

It pisses me off when no agency will help because there is no immediate threat.
I guess somebody needs to get killed before they show up.
Our tax dollars at work.

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
A less expensive way (considering jail time) is move to a state with laws that allow you to protect yourself.

Underdude

Well-Known Fanatic
Being considered. It's difficult to leave CA.
I can fish the ocean for a 5 mile drive, snow sports 3 hrs away, trout fish 30 min away.
Then there's the weather......

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
Underdude said:
Being considered. It's difficult to leave CA.
I can fish the ocean for a 5 mile drive, snow sports 3 hrs away, trout fish 30 min away.
Then there's the weather......

That definitely IS one of Kaliforniastan's good points though. As for me- now that I am in the melting season of Moscowchusetts, I wish I could migrate further north...

I'm gonna be needing a tub full of ice REAL soon. :oops:

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
Underdude said:
I thought Mass was as liberal as CA?
Gay marriage, guns and ammo restrictions?

Of course, and even worse in person- why do you think I am usually miserable and depressed here? :cry:

At least it might be more tolerable for me if I was living where my paternal grandparents lived- Nova Scotia and Prince Edward Island, respectively. I've seen a couple of real old pics of my Dad's maternal uncle on PEI where he and some of the family are all holding long arms with a huge line of Canadian Geese in front of them, with lovely snow all around the homestead. Looked like it would be a great place for me. :cool:

Now those damn things are the illegal immigrants that come down from the north in droves, laying huge minefields of cigar sized green turds wherever they land and feed...

I hates them godawful flying rodent varmints. :evil:

Dirk Pitt

Well-Known Fanatic
Underdude said:
I'm not a hunter and refuse to shoot animals except in defense or to sustain life (food).
I was after an effective cartridge with little chance for over-penetration.

NO I'm NOT a bunny hugger, to each his own. Hunting makes the world go-round.
Says the dude living in the bay area :lol:

Seriously though seeing as we live in one of the crapiest states ever I'd use a .22 if I was going to do it.

Underdude

Well-Known Fanatic
A fellow golden stater? What area you from?

Seriously, my mom was southern, grandad, dad, and uncles are military, don't eat tofu or sushi, don't surf, protest, get high, or suntan.
I shave my head, don't shave my face, don't drive a hybrid, or pay attention to "clean air days".
I drive a jeep, rarely wash it, blast my rock, country, and americana tunes.
I'm not PC, not a single race, I fly the flag, protect my family and myself fearlessly, love my country, hate our leadership, support Israel, help others when I can, and I'm not shy about being a gun owner. ABOVE ALL ELSE..........
I'm NOT a DEMOCRAT.
No offense to the good ones...
Did I. Leave anything out? Yup, I'm a really nice guy most of the time.....

Rant over for now. Thank you for listening........;-)

Underdude

Well-Known Fanatic
Oops, almost forgot......
Is 22lr effective on a coyote? Maximum effective range? Where should my shot placement be? By sight they looked about 25 lbs give or take a few.
I saw two, what's a normal pack size? Gotta be more than that right? They looked very healthy and there's no more rabbits around lately.

Dirk Pitt

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm in Los Angeles county about 45 minutes south of LA itself in the city of Torrance.

Clicker

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey I've got some HK MP5/40 mags marked Torrance. PD - small world huh.

Anyway back to yote issue i think it's nuts to go to jail or defend yourself in court over a shooting a wild dog. Why not trap it (them) and then dispose of the animal? Subsonic 22LR to the brain should suffice in this scenario.

The three S rule applies in this case: shoot, shovel and shutup.

Latest posts