Underwood Ammo

dennishoddy

I bought the Underwood 10mm ammo for my new M&P series 2 for bear defense. With bears you want penetration so I got the monolithic 200 grain in solid copper for that reason. After watching tons of videos and knowing the Alaska Game Wardens are issued 10MM firearms with those bullets as an option, that is what I chose.
The price doesn't scare me one bit if the bullet performs as required if/when a griz is coming at me.
We spend a lot of time in the back country out west in our RV where bears can be and are an issue.
I was carrying a Ruger Redhawk in .44 mag with my 230 grain handloads that are rocket ships in a chest rig when hiking, but it's only 6 rounds. Reading accounts of bear attacks, sometimes that is not enough capacity. The .44 mag is certainly more capable than a 10mm by far, but attacks can come in seconds. The ability to get back on target quicker after recoil and put more rounds into the animal is critical, hoping to hit the CNS and stop the charge. Mountain lion the same. They typically attack from ambush positions overhead if possible.