Ultra Lightweight .22LR AR

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a couple firearms on my very near future list. One is a CZ 712 so I can get started in 3 gun. The other is an ultra lightweight .22LR AR. It'd be cheap and fun to shoot and would help my gf get accustomed to shooting an AR. She says my BCM is too heavy and the "boom" is too loud and intimidates her. Yes, I'm using her as an excuse. :)

I've never built/assembled an AR so this is new to me. I've listed the parts I'm planning on using and would like input on them and also anything I might have forgotten. I'll probably put a red dot on it. I haven't heard much about the New Frontier polymer lowers. I believe the Plum Crazy polymer lowers are no longer being made. You guys have any input on the lower or anything I should think about here? I think it should come in around $600 without the optic and weigh under 3.5lbs.

New Frontier polymer lower with parts kit installed

Spike's Tactical forged charging handle

CMMG drop in .22LR conversion kit

Taccom ULW .22LR upper

Taccom ULW butt stock

dennishoddy

The S&W .22 AR is very popular, and reliable at the matches I attend.

If you already have a lower, look into getting a Nordic upper.

threegungeezer

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Tactical Solutions .22 upper on a Plum Crazy lower with a CMC trigger. The upper had the handguard replaced with a carbon fiber and as such is very light. All together it is a very light rifle. If you go the New Frontier(Plum Crazy) route you will most likely have to change at least the hammer.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
The S&W .22 AR is very popular, and reliable at the matches I attend.

If you already have a lower, look into getting a Nordic upper.

I've looked at the M&P 15-22. They look like nice rifles. They come in around 5.5lbs and I'd like to be able to get well under that weight. If I don't end up building this .22LR AR I'll probably pick up one of the 15-22s.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The taccom goodies make for a comically light .22! They are really cool.
Tim Ubl had one with him at the High Plains match & we were all checking it out.
It was ridiculously light. I'd honestly compare the weight to my kids' toy guns.

Very easy to forget it's not a toy.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Tactical Solutions .22 upper on a Plum Crazy lower with a CMC trigger. The upper had the handguard replaced with a carbon fiber and as such is very light. All together it is a very light rifle. If you go the New Frontier(Plum Crazy) route you will most likely have to change at least the hammer.

Have you had any problems with your Plum Crazy lower? I was in a LGS today and asked about ordering a lower and having it transferred to me through them. This place has the best prices I've ever seen but the service is horrible. If you know the exact firearm you want and walk in, pay for it and walk out, you're fine. If you want any sort of advice or help finding something or whatever you're SOL. I explained I was wanting to build an ultra light weight .22LR AR and use a polymer lower. I was speaking specifically about the New Frontier Arms polymer lower. As I was explaining what I was wanting to do, she got a smirk on her face like this guy's such an idiot it's amusing. The guy chimed in and told me that they're a piece of **** (I was clear I was wanting to build a dedicated .22LR AR, not a .223/5.56) and not worth anything. Then he threw his hands up in the air and said "you know what, I'm not going to talk **** and if that's what you want to do then do it but it will be a piece of junk." He did everything but come right out and tell me that I am a complete idiot for even considering it. There was no respectful discussion about why it might not be a good idea, or examples given of problems with these lowers or anything of that nature. Just insinuating I'm an idiot. Worst experience I've ever had in a gun shop. Really pissed me off. If you guys have knowledge of success or problems with these lowers, please let me know. I've thought about going with a forged lower but when you're talking about adding half a pound to a sub 3.5lb rifle, that's quite a bit. I don't know the exact weight difference between a polymer lower and a forged lower, but I think it's around half a pound.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I have one under my NC22 upper and haven't had problems. First thing I did was change the FCG to a milspec metal one. The plastic hammer will not work with .22 or .22 conversions and a milspec hammer will not work with their plastic trigger. I had a spare do it wasn't a big deal. It has been good so far for what I use it for. For $120 it cannot be beat IMO. Mine is PC, same as frontier as far as I could tell.

That guy sounds like a real fucjtard.

BigK674

Well-Known Fanatic
I would have taken my money and left. There's no excuse for crappy customer service like that.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I have one under my NC22 upper and haven't had problems. First thing I did was change the FCG to a milspec metal one. The plastic hammer will not work with .22 or .22 conversions and a milspec hammer will not work with their plastic trigger. I had a spare do it wasn't a big deal. It has been good so far for what I use it for. For $120 it cannot be beat IMO. Mine is PC, same as frontier as far as I could tell.

That guy sounds like a real fucjtard.

Thank you for your input. I'll order the New Frontier stripped lower and use milspec parts to assemble the lower. The guy at the gun shop told me I couldn't do that. He also said "I AM THE EXPERT ON AR-15S". I have previously purchased a firearm from them and it will be my last.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I ordered the New Frontier Arms lower from Joe Bob Outfitters. With the Slick Guns discount it was $39.40 and I added a Spikes lower parts kit to get free shipping. I'll order the .22LR conversion kit, charging handle and Taccom goodies before too long and assemble myself a 3-3.5lb .22LR AR. This thing should be fun!

threegungeezer

Well-Known Fanatic
I own 8 Plum Crazy lowers. I do not have ANY issues with them at all(the reason I have 8 ). They have gotten a bad rap from the doom sayers and fanboys but mine just plain work. I have replaced the trigger on most but I have some that are of the stock GEN1 configuration and still no issues. Now I don't shoot 10s of thousands of rounds every year but I am a competitve shooter and I am sure I shoot alot more than most of the mall ninjas. You can listen to the " I heard from somone who read on the internet,that they stink" or from someone who has used them for several years with no issues.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
3gg has got it. If they work, wonderful. if they don't, they're definitely cheap enough to buy another one, or 7. I plan on starting to shoot mine with a centerfire upper to see what happens, or doesn't happen.

dennishoddy

Thank you for your input. I'll order the New Frontier stripped lower and use milspec parts to assemble the lower. The guy at the gun shop told me I couldn't do that. He also said "I AM THE EXPERT ON AR-15S". I have previously purchased a firearm from them and it will be my last.

We need the name of this shop. most times its not the business, but the individual that waited on you that is the problem.
Problems with an individual in that shop, and some emails, might cure the issue with that shop, and you would go back.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
We need the name of this shop. most times its not the business, but the individual that waited on you that is the problem.
Problems with an individual in that shop, and some emails, might cure the issue with that shop, and you would go back.

The two I dealt with own the place. It was King's Guns in Cushing. They're often at gun shows.

Latest posts