Two sight posts or two targets?

samuelshoun

Well-Known Fanatic
Is it better to focus (sharp vs blur wise) on one of the apparent front sight posts and line it up with a single target image, or focus entirely (sharpness and eye alignment both) on the front sight and aim at one of the two apparent targets?

I'm extremely close in left-right dominance, with a slight left eye dominance, and I'm right handed. When I started shooting with both eyes open, I was confused by the two target images (couldn't ignore one easily) so I just started leaving my eye alignment at target distance while sharpening up the front sight. But I'm beginning to suspect this is not ideal.

So in short is it better to see two targets or two sight posts?

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
cover your non dominant eye (tape over the shooting glasses works) but leave both eyes open. After a while your brain will learn to interpret the correct "picture" as far as shooting goes.
after the brain figures out the new concept...you will see the correct number of things... the dom eye will work the sights and the other eye will still add to perhiperal and depth perception.

Most folks say focus the sights (hard focus on the front) and lay those sharp sights over a fuzzy target.

samuelshoun

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the tip. Eric Fuson actually told me to do that same thing earlier today, which is what really got me thinking about it.

I'll try it a while and see how many targets I start seeing. Sounds like I should see two.

Latest posts