Tuning 2011 mags

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been shooting a 2011 I got well used for 3gun and USPSA for about 2yrs now. I use 5 STI mags with TTI springs, followers and basepads. I also have 5 MBX mags. I have shot about 3k rounds thru this gun with literally 1 malfunction. I have never tuned any of the mags ever but thinking maybe I should buy the Dawson kit and do so before I have issues. I guess is the kit worth the $$ and should I even tune them if they are running? The measurements of the lips are not where they should be and they are not consistent from mag to mag. Also when inserted the bullet does not point straight into the barrel. So spend $$ on the tuning kit is good insurance I have been lucky to not have up till now? That's kinda my thought but I also hate to fix it if it isn't broke but I don't want it to break at a match expecially a major

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
Well all of mine have ran but they have also hit the ground many times. Been seeing more videos on mag tuning and figured it was maybe worth doing.

59nolimit

Well-Known Fanatic
jcameron996 said:
If it ain't broke don't fix it.

Sent from my 2PQ93 using Tapatalk
That has been my thought also just thinking I should do some preventive maintenance. And at today's match I had what I think was a mag related malfunction at our local 3gun match so maybe I missed the preventive part of it already

craigkim

Fanatic
I bought my Marauder last year at a point when you couldn't find preassembled mags anywhere. All of the custom places were out of stock. So, I had to buy tubes, springs, spacer plates, base pads, etc, and they wouldn't function well after a simple assembly, they had to be tuned, which meant I had to buy the tuning kit. Ugh. I learned that the gyst is that the stock magazines work pretty well and are reliable with 20 rounds. IF you want to get reliable performance and take that to 23 (may have even been 24?) you have to tune them or if you are assembling your own you will have to tune them.

Later on I was able to pick up several MBX and I prefer them to any of the magazines I assembled and tuned myself. I think I get 23 in them.

Latest posts