Truck shopping

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm in the market for a used pickup and have been mostly looking at Toyota Tundras for their reported reliability.

Who here has experience owning a Tundra? Any other recommendations for a reliable truck that can be had for around $16k?

Basically I'm tired of having to borrow a truck every time I have to move anything.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
talk to Brian Carl Smith about the Tundras, He's a Mechanic & he drive one & swears by them.
You can pm him on here

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Brian said if he had to work on Tundras he'd have been out of business a long time ago.

dennishoddy

I bought a Tacoma in 95, drove it until this year. 351,000 miles no issues, didn't use a drop of oil when I sold it. Replaced it with a 2016 Tundra.
I did get a recall notice about frame rust in 2010 or so. Had it inspected, no issues with rust. If I remember right it was vehicles in the NE where they use tons of salt on the roads all winter. The stories of frames breaking are greatly exaggerated. There was a huge settlement that was agree'd to. It affected 2007-08 Toyota Tundra and 2005-10 Tacoma pickup trucks along with 2005-08 Sequoia SUVs.

Tundra's are designed for towing. You can't go wrong with one. I pull a 7700lb dry weight travel trailer and occasionally a tandem trailer with a 5500 lb tractor on it all over the place. Great trucks.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=93WHhrFwrn4

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the input everyone.

Damn Dennis, you could have driven your Tacoma to the moon and nearly halfway back! If it were just me I'd be looking more at Tacoma's, but I want the extra cab space and just don't like how short the bed is on a double cab taco.

dennishoddy

Lol, mine was low mileage. Guys on the Tacoma forums were pushing 3/4 million miles.
Tacos aren't made for hauling. Mine was a working farm truck. It had 500lb overload springs on it as well as airbags. In all those years of off-road driving it never got stuck. Constantly amazed at the muck it would go through. I did run aggressive mud tires.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
I won't be towing much, mostly standard around the house jobs really. Firewood, furniture, honey-do projects ECT.

My primary needs are room for a couple extra people in the cab, and a bed that's not microscopic.

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
My double cab tacoma has a 5' bed and I have found it to be pretty limiting with hauling. My previous truck was a ford ranger w/ extend cab and a 6' bed. A 6' bed in a small truck is a lot more handy.

jspeligene

Well-Known Fanatic
I have had great service out of F150, with very little repair other than routine maintenance, even with 250K miles.
I am biased, My brother (Brian) has the Ford dealership in Eufaula.

JoeF

Well-Known Fanatic
Have the frame fully checked, the 07-08 Tundras are the ones covered under the settlement program.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm going to inquire into the frame rust thing just to be safe, but before I even considered looking at this truck (or the others I looked at) I ran the VIN on the Toyota recall website and there is nothing open for it.

I really like it and am looking forward to many years of use.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
Jeff Speligene said:
I have had great service out of F150, with very little repair other than routine maintenance, even with 250K miles.
I am biased, My brother (Brian) has the Ford dealership in Eufaula.
I do have a soft spot for F150's. A '91 F150 with an inline six was my first vehicle. Those engines don't quit.

Latest posts