truck gun

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
So my timing is awful, but nothing I can do about that.

I'm wanting to put together a "truck gun". My only requirements are:

1. AR platform
  2. fully collasped somewhere in the 29" range, no more and 31" long
  3. ~9.5" tall
  4. suppressor ready
I'm leaning towards 300 AAC to take full advantage of the suppressor, but I'm not set on caliber. 458socom would be sweet but that gives up lots of capacity to a 5.56 or 300.

Can you get a 16" that short or will I have to go to a 14.5"? Max distance for target engagement is probably 150m. I'd want to be able to 1 shot a decent sized whitetail at the range.

This would be a non-magnified setup. Some type of very rugged red dot with BUIS. Thoughts and suggestions are much appreciated.

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
leupold prismatic would be my first choice for non magnified optic. Aimpoint second due to battery life.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I believe when my carbine was an M4gery that it was at or somewhat over 31" long with the stock collapsed. It has a 16" barrel.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
BrandonM(TWSS) said:
A gun that stays behind the seat of your truck.
For...what? Defense? Impromptu hunting?

I never lived in a place where I didn't feel like a handgun was adequate. I've never lived out in the country so I don't know what all truck guns are used for.

dennishoddy

For...what? Defense? Impromptu hunting? I never lived in a place where I didn't feel like a handgun was adequate. I've never lived out in the country so I don't know what all truck guns are used for.

I do live in the country, and do a little farming, so for me a truck/tractor gun is primarily for the random varmint, but I think the common definition of a truck gun is a utility type rifle that you could care less if it gets scratched, etc. My first truck gun was a Rem 700 22-250. There were two on the rack, one the BDL shiny polished furniture, and next to it was the ADL plain Jane hardwood stock. The ADL got the ride home. It's pretty beat up now, but still shoots.

OUshooter

Well-Known Fanatic
poopgiggle said:
I'm a Yankee. Could someone explain what a truck gun is?
Handguns usually don't pack the punch needed for cattle chasing dogs/coyotes. Also the occasionally aggressive hog. The whitetail was just for reference purposes.

Like dennis said behind/under seat quick to get to and probably will have scraps, scratches and dings hence the need for a rugged dot.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
poopgiggle said:
I'm a Yankee. Could someone explain what a truck gun is?
That makes two of us on BS.

The truck gun version in the Gary, Ind. region where I grew up would have been any shotgun with the barrell cut off just at 18.25 inches. The two legged predator remains my biggest concern; in country, city, burbs. Anywhere.

I don't store any guns in my truck. Too easy for them to be stolen.

dennishoddy

When does truck season open this year?

Well, last year a guy was putting his marlin lever gun in the front seat of his truck, and attempted to decock it. His finger slipped off the hammer. The round penetrated his torque converter effectively "killing" his truck.
Shot placement is the key to a successful season.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Dux-R-Us said:
That makes two of us on BS.

The truck gun version in the Gary, Ind. region where I grew up would have been any shotgun with the barrell cut off just at 18.25 inches. The two legged predator remains my biggest concern; in country, city, burbs. Anywhere.

I don't store any guns in my truck. Too easy for them to be stolen.
Yep. Can you even hunt anything with a rifle there?

I went deer hunting out there once. It sure is painful watching those bigass corn fed deer play in the fields all day at 150 to 400 yards away when you have a good scoped .270 at home. I was there for a week and could have picked at least a dozen different deer that were "wall worthy".

Edit: O/P go for the .300BO, then I can drool on it. I want a suppressed SBR in .300BO badly!

MrTheBigOx

Well-Known Fanatic
Why is the blackout so popular? Sorry to get off topic just wonder

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
MrTheBigOx said:

IMO
same bolt & mag as standard AR (easy to put together)
Casings can be made from .223 casings
.30 projectiles are easy to come by
honestly the above doesn't really matter a 10.5 inch barreled suppressed 300 BO just sounds cool.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
Scott Hearn said:
Yep. Can you even hunt anything with a rifle there?

I went deer hunting out there once. It sure is painful watching those bigass corn fed deer play in the fields all day at 150 to 400 yards away when you have a good scoped .270 at home. I was there for a week and could have picked at least a dozen different deer that were "wall worthy".

Edit: O/P go for the .300BO, then I can drool on it. I want a suppressed SBR in .300BO badly!
In IN for deer,most people now use scoped modern muzzleloaders that can shoot to 200 yards. Effectively a single shot rifle. Very deadly indeed.
Or you can use any rifle chambered in a pistol caliber. My best friend now uses the Remington AR in 450 Bushmaster.

Latest posts