Tristar P-120 T-120

Jcawthon

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone have experience with Tristar CZ clones? They're cheap, and on the production list. Obviously with a CZ or Tanfo you know what you're getting, but I like to look into other options. Looks like CajunGW does some work on the tristars and some of the parts are interchangeable with CZs. Thoughts?

This 'no SS' at the sectional has me thinking Production next year.

Chambers

actual GM
I was looking at those, seems like once you spend a few hundred bucks on go fast parts, the $150 cost difference is pretty negligible, and you'd have been better off with a SP-01, having better fit, finish, and parts availability.

That said, I still want one to play with. Can't have too many, right? I think they look pretty cool...

Rockon71385

Founding Member
I have no experience with them, but I'd rather let everybody at the match kick me in the balls than have to shoot 6 stages with a gun that doesn't work. Whatever you get, pick something that you can make 100% reliable or you'll end up wanting to throw it over the berm. A few hundred bucks will seem pretty insignificant after you've spent the money for gas, match fees, and ammo only to have your gun take you out of contention. Tristars might be fine, but if you can get something that has a stellar reputation in competition for a little more, I'd go with the sure thing. Just my .02.

Jcawthon

Well-Known Fanatic
Robbie said:
I have no experience with them, but I'd rather let everybody at the match kick me in the balls than have to shoot 6 stages with a gun that doesn't work. Whatever you get, pick something that you can make 100% reliable or you'll end up wanting to throw it over the berm. A few hundred bucks will seem pretty insignificant after you've spent the money for gas, match fees, and ammo only to have your gun take you out of contention. Tristars might be fine, but if you can get something that has a stellar reputation in competition for a little more, I'd go with the sure thing. Just my .02.
you forget I shoot a 9mm 1911, if you can make one of those run, you can make anything run haha. All good points sir.

Chambers said:
I was looking at those, seems like once you spend a few hundred bucks on go fast parts, the $150 cost difference is pretty negligible, and you'd have been better off with a SP-01, having better fit, finish, and parts availability.

That said, I still want one to play with. Can't have too many, right? I think they look pretty cool...
I've been looking at the SP-01. SP-01 or P120, I'll want to have the slide cut for sights. People seem to like them(the P120 and T120) on the internet, no issues with them running right or anything. I'll probably get one and be the guinea pig for you guys. The T120 has an aluminum frame, You think that would have wear issues?(it looks cooler)

Chambers

actual GM
I think they are either hard chrome or cerakoted, so I bet they hold up pretty good. The P120 might have better holster/parts compatibility (just a guess) than the T120.

You could probably get a decent fixed rear sight that would work and save some $. Drop in a 11.5 main spring, reduced power trigger return spring, firing pin spring, recoil spring, add extended firing pin, sights, and workover the internals...and probably end up with a sweet production gun for well under $600.

Do it so I can play with it...haha...

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Yeah, it did seem to make a bit of difference. It didn’t cost much and was very easy to install so it was worth it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Cajun gun works offers aftermarket support for them and most cz stuff fits them with very little adjusting. Smooth shooting and great value for the price. I had the P-120 for a while that I wanted to upgrade and use in steel challenge etc, but my priorities changed and I sold it to finance my new hunting habit. It was a great shooter when I had it though.

Latest posts