Trimming 223 brass

Strokin04

Grits N Gravy
What is everyone using to trim 223 brass? I am trying to decide if I should get the Dillon or the Giraud trimmer. And if you use the Dillon, how are setting up your toolhead to do the brass prep stage?

Thanks,
Mike

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I just bought the Possum Hollow trimmer and the drill adapter to go with it. I haven't used it yet but hope to sometime this week. I'll post up when I do. But if I don't like it I will be buying the Dillon. For the price difference I just had to give the PH a try.

Here's video of what I got:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42nDelSKf8

Strokin04

Grits N Gravy
I just bought the Possum Hollow trimmer and the drill adapter to go with it. I haven't used it yet but hope to sometime this week. I'll post up when I do. But if I don't like it I will be buying the Dillon. For the price difference I just had to give the PH a try.

Here's video of what I got:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42nDelSKf8

I have the Possum Hollow and it works well but, I don't have a drill press so using a cordless drill can be a pain at times. The reason I was wanting to upgrade is that after trimming with the PH you still need to chamfer and debur the brass. But with the Giraud does it all in one step and the Dillon is suppose to be a really clean cut and not need to be deburred.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
OK I see.

Well I also have the RCBS CaseMate so I'm good there. But if your burr isn't real bad you could always throw them into the tumbler again with some walnut to take care of it. I would think an electric drill would be better than the cordless since they run at a higher RPM, it should cut cleaner with the higher speed. At least I'm hoping...

Strokin04

Grits N Gravy
OK I see.

Well I also have the RCBS CaseMate so I'm good there. But if your burr isn't real bad you could always throw them into the tumbler again with some walnut to take care of it. I would think an electric drill would be better than the cordless since they run at a higher RPM, it should cut cleaner with the higher speed. At least I'm hoping...

Good idea, I need to go pick up a electric drill and see if that improves things. Thanks Scott!!!

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
I spent $30 for an el-cheapo drill press at Big Lots which I leave on the highest speed available. You don't need much for trimming brass.

After trimming I throw them back into the tumbler for a few hours to get the chips out and lube off, no need to do any processing after that.

I do chamfer brass that I'm using for accuracy loads, but that's more OCD than anything.

If I move on to anything it will be the Dillon trimmer, set it up on the press with the sizing goodies and go.

gmar

Well-Known Fanatic
I use the Dillon Rapid Trim and its awesome if you're doing a bunch of cases.

rustin

Well-Known Fanatic
Dillon Trimmer mounted on a progressive press with case feeder is the way to roll if you shoot a lot.

Anything else is a third world excercise that requires too much individual case handling.

tran

Well-Known Fanatic
I still use an RCBS trim die and a file. I can do it pretty fast.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey Mike,

What did you end up with? I ended up with the Dillon and use it on my 650. The PH works, but it's still a PIA. .223 prep is just a PIA in general! :(

Strokin04

Grits N Gravy
I ended up getting the Dillon to use on my 550. Works great and makes sizing and trimming 223 brass a much easier process.

sschultz

New Fanatic
I bought a RCBS three way trimmer head and put a drill on the trimmer. I can do 4 or 5 cases a minute. If you look on youtube there is a guy that does the samething.
Schultz

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Well there Mr. sschultz I believe I've spoken to you a few time over on Beno's. I've got a new addition on the CZ I'll post up when I get a pic pretty sure you'll like but I only know of one right now :eek:nthequiet:

For what it's worth 223 case prep is a royal pain and I have yet to figure out a good way to take some of the hassle out, slickest way I've seen is the 650 with a casefeeder and the Dillon trimer set up but for the time being I'll have to use the RCBS and a drill until I get a GOOD raise at work! thinking it might be just as easy and worth the extra to order preped brass. Later,

Kirk

sschultz

New Fanatic
Kirk I realy need a 650 but I always seem to need other gun parts (6 inch 9mm upper for my P16, new 18 inch barrel for my AR, new scope for my 308 AR). The press always seems to get pushed to the back. So for now its trim with my RCBS and a Hornaday primer pocket reamer.

Schultz

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Well there Mr. sschultz I believe I've spoken to you a few time over on Beno's. I've got a new addition on the CZ I'll post up when I get a pic pretty sure you'll like but I only know of one right now :eek:nthequiet:

For what it's worth 223 case prep is a royal pain and I have yet to figure out a good way to take some of the hassle out, slickest way I've seen is the 650 with a casefeeder and the Dillon trimer set up but for the time being I'll have to use the RCBS and a drill until I get a GOOD raise at work! thinking it might be just as easy and worth the extra to order preped brass. Later,

Kirk

Kirk that Dillon trimmer will work on a $10 Lee garage sale press too.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh Scott I know I'm just too damn cheap to buy one! if I'd not gotten those Rudy glasses I could have gotten one lol Later,

Kirk

Ndenway

New Fanatic
I use the dillon rt1200 set up.

have a universal decapper in station #1 and the trimmer die in station #3.

for the loading tool head I put a lee collet die in station #1 to size the case id back up (the dillon size/trim die sizes the neck way down), powder in #2, bullet seat #3 and crimp die in #4(if loading a cartridge that needs crimping)

Latest posts