Transforming an M1 field into a 3 gun shotgun

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
Since both Accurate Iron and Red Neck Tactical are building guns for people based on this theme, and we both know what kind of gun can be had without needing to run out and buy the latest Benelli version. I thought the BS forumers might like to follow along on this ride to see what goes into taking a 28" hunting gun and turning it into a quick handling, 3 gun shotgun.

Mike, feel free to post your pics of the job and I'll do the same.

Please do not post pics if your name isn't Mike Cyrwus or Trapr Swonson, if you have questions direct them to the proper person you intend, so that I don't answer stuff intended for Mike, and he does'nt pretend to be me.

Trapr

shootingbuff

Well-Known Fanatic
This is cool and I am sure will save us normal guys dollars and provide the option of having a better product at more affordable price. Additionally it helps the locals and those supporting BS.
Can you say win win win?

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
The RNT SG will go from a 28" M1 Field with a generic LOP of 14.5" to a perfect fit for the shooter at 13". Once the new Kick eez pad is installed it will not feel noticeably different from a comfortech M2, and it will fit the shooters build.

BTW, the base price on the gun is 600.00 purchased on GB.com.

Trapr

Attachments

• m1 field lop to 13 in.JPG
    m1 field lop to 13 in.JPG
    482 KB · Views: 111

BLR

Well-Known Fanatic
I will be following this. I have a m1 28" field that is undergoing the change to a 3 gun shotgun. 24" barrel will be here today, Nordic 7 shot extension already installed, Nordic bolt handle on the way. get all of this together and it will be time to send it off for a little AI magic!

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
I'm waiting for the barrel to get back from being rethreaded after cutting to 19.5", then I'll post more pics. Should be this week.

Trapr

taymoor

Skilled Lover
Please include approximate costs for each step to us regular people. What an awesome thread!

taymoor

Skilled Lover
Ya. I've been creeping for a while. Now that I'm shooting more again, I'll start posting more. I'd hate to be talk on the forum more than I shoot, or people will call lame.

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
I will not include costs, because I don't want you guys to get into a bidding war between RNT and AI, Mike is a good friend and considered an extension of RNT, and he actually does the bolt shaving for us, I only charge what he charges me.

If you want costs call either of us.

trapr

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
Here is the completed LOP change with a 1" thick Kick Eez pad installed, properly fitted to the shooter with a good pad this gun will kick the same as an M2 with the comfortech stock and cost less.View attachment 2085
Total LOP now is 13.25"

Trapr

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Here is the completed LOP change with a 1" thick Kick Eez pad installed, properly fitted to the shooter with a good pad this gun will kick the same as an M2 with the comfortech stock and cost less.View attachment 2085
Total LOP now is 13.25"

Trapr

What Kick Eez pad do you buy? I just ordered a KZ111 pre fit pad from Brownell's to try on an M1. I liked the look of the Sporting clays pads better with the rounded corners but I didn't know what to order so I went generic. I need a pad for my Red NEck Tactical Nova too.

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
I generally order the Medium, black for synthetic stocks and brown for wood stocks, .75" or .5" for guys, since this one is being fit for a woman, I went with the 1.1" sporting clays model. you will have to grind the pad, but it comes out much nicer and you have rounded edges on all sides,plus you can round the toe of the pad. Its much easier whent eh stock isn't cammoed, because if you go a bit too deep you've removed camo from the stock and it looks ugly, with black you can sand the boo boo out and it looks good.

the Nova is a bit more involved if you've shortened the LOP, if not its just the same. BTW why is my pic not there anymore?????

trapr

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I thought that pic disappeared when I deleted your double post. I thought I was imagining things. After I deleted the double tap the thread popped up and it was gone. Being that I had a lot to drink I wondered if it was truely there or not. Why it dissapeared i don't know. Forum ghosts I guess.

Can u repost it? If not email it to me and I'll put it up.

What pad do I order for a stock M1. Is it a custom or the pre made ones? I'm still confused.

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
you need to measure the screw hole spacing, and then the width and length and order accordingly. The Brownells website will give you the correct dimensions when you pull up the different pads. screw hole spacing is less important because you can always redrill a new hole.

does that confuse you more???

Trapr

Chambers

actual GM
What pad do I order for a stock M1. Is it a custom or the pre made ones? I'm still confused.

The KZ111 is the prefit one for the M1.

Of course I had to grind mine because my Benelli stock was one of those (newer?) sling types. Grinding them isn't hard, but it is messy. You probably don't want to breathe in too much of that stuff.

I was considering a M2 for the comfortech, but I agree w/ Trapr, the kick eez is a great improvement.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Is the kick eez grabby? The pad on my SLP is pretty decent but you have to mount the gun perfectly, because once you get it on your shirt, it ain't moving. The comfortech pads are super nice in that you can slide them around where you want them. I kind of got spoiled to it in one short range session.

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
kick eez makes a product called "slick eez" that you can put on the pad if its too grabby. I've never needed it, but I have used it on other peoples guns.

Trapr

bigbrowndog

Red Neck Tactical
OK, original pic of LOP change with kick eez pad is reposted, and the barrel came back today so I put it together to measure overall length,.....41 3/8 inches, from end of mag tube to heel of recoil pad. 3 extended choke tubes later, Cyl, LM. and IM you really do not need more!!!

Still need to remount front sight
mount rear XS
open up loading port
shave bolt
C-Rums lifter
mod the bolt
polish the lifter
polish the extractor cut
mod the shell catch
polish the shell catch
etc.

But it looks like a 3 gun shotgun now, and it flies to the shoulder very quick, and points where I look,...I may keep it!!!!

Trapr
View attachment 2088View attachment 2089

Attachments

• LOP change with kick eez.JPG
    LOP change with kick eez.JPG
    245.2 KB · Views: 91
  • 41.375in.JPG
    41.375in.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 100

Latest posts