tough choices

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I have decided to change my collection a bit since the hand surgeries. Shooting 9mm is better for this repaired hand IMHO

I love what I own (brands and models) and intend to keep my collection as is in that respect.

here is the dilemma;
choice 1 is to convert a select few models from 45 acp to 9mm. cost about 2 grand / gun. work done by the original maker
OR

choice 2 ;sell off a few .45 acp models and reorder them as 9mm

Makers claim it is not a problem to convert them. That said,I am concerned about problems with the 9mm after conversion. TOugh decision

please weigh in. specifics appreciated
thanks
Rob

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
If done properly, there is no issues with taking a 45 and converting to 9mm
I'm sure you are talking about quality builders, I don't see any worry here.

Financially speaking, it may be a better despising to sell & buy new or have one built. The entire upper half of the pistol will be useless unless the ejector and mainspring are replaced. However, if I had one converted, I would want a ramped 9mm barrel. The cuts to a 45 frame would make the original barrel useless.

Tough call for sure.....I would talk to a Smith like Joe C and get his opinion.

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
If I were you I would sell the .45s and order a complete new 9mm.

But then I would sell all the 1911s and probably just order a custom Glock from Lou with an RMR because then you won't ever shoot your 1911s again. :(

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
If I were you I would sell the .45s and order a complete new 9mm.

But then I would sell all the 1911s and probably just order a custom Glock from Lou with an RMR because then you won't ever shoot your 1911s again. :(

I tried to warn ya.....

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
leaning towards offing a couple of 45 and getting new a 9mm if shooting .45 hurts(not trying that ammo until spring '19). also considering softer recoiling new ammo(I do not reload)

Last edited:

PhilaPop

Well-Known Fanatic
Here's my Kestrel along w/ my NHC Falcon, Bubba, Bubba, and Big Bubba. The NHC Falcon was bought used for $2,500 and it's a great shooter in wonderful condition.

.50 vs 1911.jpg

AZ Husker

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a stainless Dan Wesson Valor Commander in 9mm I am going to list for sale soon. PM me if interested. Much cheaper than converting one .45.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
wish I could @AZHusker. still on light duty for 1 more month--cash is low.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
of course-complicating the issue is the horrible market for used WC,NHC. decided to see how a trade @ the lgs would go. Not well. traded in 2 guns and ordered similar models(far less options than my original guns had) in 9mm. .Dealer went on GB to get sold for prices. Man ,the market is harsh. was given below 50% for the first time ever. Of course ,if I sold them on my own ,I might have fared a bit better...but not a HUGE difference and needed the $$ as a deposit for the new guns due here in April(giving me time to recover financially before the get here)... hoping the .45 acp (and a glove on the right hand )lets me keep and enjoy shooting all of my guns..period

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Trading pistols, as in a transaction with the dealer, is always a losing proposition for the individual. I guess one must keep in mind, a shop does have overhead. They may have to sit on the pistols for a while before a sale. And they should expect to have a return on the investment. and they are in the driver seat, so they can dictate the direction of the transaction.

boatdoc

Well-Known Fanatic
agreed Bender.BUT I was always happy with the $$ offered. Usually 60% .Now 40%. I usually trade vs consign for convenience and the lack of time and patience it takes to sell. same with =cars. not crying..just a bit astonished .done deal and I get 2 new 9mms. just have to pay a bit more green next spring