Torn about what to do with rifle

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
Here's what I have as is. Stag carbine, pretty much stock but with cut down fsb to allow 13" Troy rail, Magpul rifle stock with rifle buffer, and a Miculek comp. Trigger I messed with. Easily shoots moa, (on bags).

Here's what's laying around. 15" Troy rail, RCA low mass bcg, JP low mass buffer, and a Delton upper.

What I think I want is an 18" rifle gas gun. But I cannot out shoot what I have yet.

Here's where I'm torn. I know there is some benefit to the rifle gas gun, but I don't think it's going to create the epiphany with my skills I want as much as just practice. But a tiny part says I need that extra 2 inches, (even considered 20" barrel) to hold on target effectively. At this point, as a middle pack shooter, would my money be better spent on practice and ammo, or on what seems to be the standard for 3 gun, an 18" rifle?

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
18" will be ust as good as a 20" barrel. I went from a 20" down to an 18". 20" can feel like a broom handle. What distances do you shoot at your matches?

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Those low mass parts will impress your pants off, but you'll need rifle gas or adjustable gas to optimize them.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
All of us could use way more ammo and practice. But there is something to be said for confidence and enthusiasm for the guns and gear you're using. I always shoot better when my gun is chrome versus just blued. A Swarovski is always faster then a millet even at 1'. Confidence can be a killer!
Especially in bed or at a match.

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Bob sorry to kinda derail your post, but it is still on topic. Switching to the rifle length gas and 18 inch barrel will you have to change the buffer and spring out too or can you still run it the way it is? I'm seriously considering the change myself. I like my setup right now, but a part of me thinks I would be better off with the 18 inch barrel which leads me to what barrel and parts to buy.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Mike Gregorio (MG23) said:
Bob sorry to kinda derail your post, but it is still on topic. Switching to the rifle length gas and 18 inch barrel will you have to change the buffer and spring out too or can you still run it the way it is? I'm seriously considering the change myself. I like my setup right now, but a part of me thinks I would be better off with the 18 inch barrel which leads me to what barrel and parts to buy.
I get this a question a lot.

No, you do not have to change the back end when you change your gas system. As long as you have the correct spring/buffer/buffer tube combo, it's good to go. It doesn't matter what length gas system you run. The buffer & spring only have to match the buffer tube length, not the gas system. They are separate systems.

You can run rifle gas with a carbine stock, no problem. You could run carbine gas with a rifle stock if you wanted. Just make sure your buffer & spring are correct for your buffer tube length.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
The only time you may need to change buffers and springs is if you go with a low mass carrier and adjustable gas system, and are planning to tune the gun.

MG23

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks guys, I'm not going to get that extreme yet. Just going to switch out the barrel and gas tube. I already have a low profile gas block under my samson rail, Appreciate the help as always

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Tuflehundon said:
The only time you may need to change buffers and springs is if you go with a low mass carrier and adjustable gas system, and are planning to tune the gun.
Actually, you dont.

A low mass carrier & adj. Gas system will work fine with whatever you have now. Just tune it to what you have & your fine.

A std carbine buffer is 3oz. A jp low mass rifle buffer is 3oz.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
Wall said:
Actually, you dont.

A low mass carrier & adj. Gas system will work fine with whatever you have now. Just tune it to what you have & your fine.

A std carbine buffer is 3oz. A jp low mass rifle buffer is 3oz.
So just take the shake weights out of the H buffer and all is good?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Adam Balzer (ChargerArms) said:
So just take the shake weights out of the H buffer and all is good?
Why? This would just get you a std buffer, right? So why not just get a std buffer & not waste a good heavy buffer?

Basically, any buffer will work with a tunable gas system, you just have to tune it correctly. Most reliability issues arise from changing ammo to something lighter than what was used to tune the gas system. It needs to be tuned with the lightest shooting load that will be used in the rifle.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The real benefit comes from using as light a buffer/carrier combo as possible. The less mass reciprocating back & forth, the better in terms of muzzle rise/felt recoil. The tunable gas system allows you to put as little gas back at the bcg as necessary for operation. The rest goes out the muzzle end to work the comp.

Latest posts