Tool boxes and setups

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
Do you have a tool chest if so what kind?

I'm just starting on my own tool setup. With basic tools, but see that I've got a lot. I normally just handle basic car repair (oil, spark plugs, and tire rotation) along with basic drilling for holes around the house.

So I'm looking to find a basic tool chest to help organize stuff. What do you have for your setup?

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't cheap out on a toolbox. Whether a roller with stacking chests, or stationary. I've got a roller with a mid and top chest. SWMBO says that I display my tools, actually, a place for everything, and everything in its place. I know where to reach, and if any tool is missing. A missing tool is wherever SWMBO used it last.

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
That's a rabbit hole. One man's tool chest is another man's starter kit.

I have my "Go Bag" that handles most daily work but has enough in it to do about everything you are talking about. 3485Then I have my "tool chest" for the rest of the stuff. 3488Then the "tool boxes" for smithing tools. 3486And the all the other stuff goes on shelves. 3487
Its never ending and once you get started it will never be enough or "just right"

CJ

Well-Known Fanatic
I have this exact tool box CSPS 55", it's a great box with roller bearing guides. This one is on eBay for $499
Don't let the cheap price scare you, this is a really well made box, I think I paid $700 for mine 10 years ago "new"

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
This is my set up in the garage. With the bigger stuff like saws on shelves to the left. Husky is making some pretty decent boxes at very reasonable prices right now. If you're not going snap on I would check them out. There are deals to be had on craigslist as well. At work I've got a 72" lower with a 42" top both by husky. I'll try to remember to snap a pick mañana. Well made with ball bearing slides and double slides on all the bigger drawers.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a stainless box from Lowes. I like it, but it simply isnt bigenpugh. I have one below in the picture, it still isn't big enough. It's stuffed beyond capacity and i have some tools I don't useas often in a tote.

Look on facebook marketplace for quality used boxes. Buy a box twice the size you think you need.

Last edited:

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
Great suggestions.
Looks like I need to go ahead and clean the garage out. I'm beyond excited or maybe it's the coffee talking. I should drink it more often.

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
That's genius. I'm going to look into doing that.

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
These are my main toolboxes. I'm not going to show you my shop because it is a disaster and needs a serious reorg. I emptied a 1,000 sq ft storage building a couple of months ago and everything I kept got thrown into the shop...

These are old - really old. The newest top box was probably purchased in 1978 or so. The others came from my Dad's place. One bottom box he gave to me, probably in the '80s, the other set I got when he passed away. You can't buy anything like this anymore. Even the best, most expensive toolboxes are made with much thinner-gauge metal. My son used to shop craigslist for toolboxes. He found a couple of nice ones for about 25% of retail. I would definitely shop used before making a purchase. Nothing wrong with new, but auto mechanics tend to get into situations and have to sell and you can often find some deals. He picked up a Mac Tools 11-drawer 1000 series roller workstation for $900. I'm not sure but I think those things go for ~$4k new.

Also, I've gotten some killer deals at Sam's Club from time to time. I bought a very nice metal workbench with a butcher block top and two matching, diamond-plate storage boxes that roll underneath it (also butcher block tops) a few years ago. Prices are higher now, but even so what I got them for was a steal - I think $250 for the whole set. I ordered a same-size metal workbench top from Sears for about $100 and swapped it out to save the butcher block.