Tom Coburn talking with Democrats about background check bill

grayokc

Well-Known Fanatic
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2013/01/25/tom-coburn-talking-with-democrats-about-background-check-bill/?wprss=rss_politics

This is an excert -
Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) is working with Democratic senators on a bill that would mandate background checks for all gun buyers, with some limited exceptions.
In an interview Friday with a Tulsa television station, Coburn said he is working with Sens. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Joe Manchin III (D-W. Va.) on plans to keep weapons away from criminals and the mentally ill.
Coburn’s office didn’t immediately respond to requests for comment, but other Senate aides familiar with the negotiations confirmed his involvement. If a deal involving Coburn pans out, his ruby-red Republican reputation would lend significantly to any bipartisan effort to draft gun-control legislation.
“I think there’s lots of good things that can happen...."

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
grayokc said:
Sen. Tom Coburn (R-Okla.) is working with Democratic senators on a bill that would mandate background checks for all gun buyers, with some limited exceptions.
Does this not bother anyone besides me?

Remember, Coburn is not running again so he answers to NO ONE

I am here to tell you, background checks for all private transactions WILL lead to gun registration and further government control. Including but not limited to fees, taxes, etc or worse!

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
This is the worst part of our governmental process.
If he is not running for re-election we have almost no way to stop him from helping a cause, that his constituents do NOT agree with.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I sent Coburn an email last night on this. I told him that I won't support anyone that votes for any form of regulation of private sales and that I have pretty strong reservations about these "mental health screens". Anything more than interagency information sharing was a no-go for me and I didn't even really like that idea with this administration and the way things are going. Hell, we don't even know what the definition of "universal background check" is or what it will entail. Not that I really care anyway (no I didn't tell him that part) because I'm gonna oppose it. I also pointed out the 20,000+ laws and regs we have on the books now and that that's plenty. I'm in no mood to give up any more freedom in the name of "compromise" bi-partisan or not.

I also told him that I wanted him to support getting Feinstein's AWB bill to the floor for a vote without amendment. Let them vote on that ***** and also vote on it as-is. All or nothing. I want all of them on record one way or the other. It won't happen but...

rmuller

Well-Known Fanatic
call 405 231 4941, you will actually get to talk to a human. let them know you do not support universal background checks.
they will not need your name or any other information, the nice lady said that they are only keeping a talley of the number of callers that call either in support or against this measure.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
He responded today. Basically the mental heath system isn't communicating with the gun people so the background check system giant working. Also he says he believes that all firearms purchases should be subject to background checks. My state rep asked me today if I would be against background checks for firearm purchases. I told him no as long as the focus was on the purchaser and not the firearm. I do agree that the mental health system shouldn't able to hide behind the hippa curtain and should be forced to assist in background checks.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
ChrisC said:
He responded today. Basically the mental heath system isn't communicating with the gun people so the background check system giant working. Also he says he believes that all firearms purchases should be subject to background checks. My state rep asked me today if I would be against background checks for firearm purchases. I told him no as long as the focus was on the purchaser and not the firearm. I do agree that the mental health system shouldn't able to hide behind the hippa curtain and should be forced to assist in background checks.
Well I'd be for all of this if I thought there was any reason what-so-ever that we could trust our government. But regardless, I think something along these lines is very likely to pass.

nanotech9

Fanatic
how about a voluntary background check system, simplified... give us, private sellers a way to punch in a DL number or name and DOB if the buyer is willing. no serial numbers, nothing like that, and make it completely voluntary?

or is that a step too far?

I would rather not sell to a criminal if I can help it... but I dont want private sales to be subject to FORCED background checks that also potentially register serial numbers to the person. thats a very short step away from complete registration and confiscation.

Latest posts