To sell or not to sell my 2011

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
I can't say that I am crazy about the 2011. Maybe the question is, do I deserve a 2011? I'm a C class shooter and will probably always be a C class shooter unless I start taking it a little more seriously which is not likely anytime in the forseeable future. I have no reason not to like, it does what I ask it to do within my limitations. I took it to the range and did some drills with, then did the same drills with my M&P 40Pro, I thought I would make my decision as to whether or not I would sell it based on the results. Well, the 2011 came out ahead, but not by a landslide which doesn't help my decision making process. Sometimes I think I would like it better if I could turn it into a 21" or 24" Modified M2 for 3-Gun which is really my interest, I started shooting USPSA so I could be a better pistol shooter for 3-Gun. This thing is eating at me. Maybe I'll finish the year out and decide. I'm not looking for a magic answer to my delima because I don't think there are any, probably more just thinking out loud and I'm just thinking an average shooter such as myself could do just as good or bad with my M&P.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Skill is with the shooter, not the gun.
Look at Vogel. He kicks ass all over the place with a Glock.
Mickulek runs an M&P better than other pro's run their 2011's

If you'd rather have a tricked out M2, then sell that 2011 and chat up Cyrwus.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Matt Rigsby said:
Skill is with the shooter, not the gun.
Look at Vogel. He kicks ass all over the place with a Glock.
Mickulek runs an M&P better than other pro's run their 2011's
If you'd rather have a tricked out M2, then sell that 2011 and chat up Cyrwus.
That's the path I followed.

Good shotgun > good pistol > good rifle

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I have been in the same boat, and have also been dreaming a bit of trading my 2011 for an M2 that is race ready. Not sure I could do it, because my 2011 is a really, really great gun. It has never had a problem not directly caused by the ammo I make for it.

I don't think my 2011 adds anything to my shooting. I jumped on the bandwagon well before there was any "legitimate justification" for such a large and risky purchase just because I envisioned ending up with one further down the line. There is no way I can get the amount of money out of reselling that it cost me to buy in. That is a big deal at the moment, but I think if I moved on that I would not regret it. I do think that having an M2 would be much more beneficial to my overall shooting goals as they stand currently. I too am much more interested in 3-Gun.

WillR

Well-Known Fanatic
Finish the year out and make a more informed decision. You don't want it gone tomorrow and then next month be thinking man I'm going to have to get another 2011.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Mitch Gibson your Benelli SBE is not limiting you as compared to an M2. They are almost he same gun.

I would argue that a going from a plastic gun to a 2011 is a much bigger jump in performance that an Benelli SBE to a Benelli M2 full race package.

With that said everyone should own an Accurate Iron Full Race package gun.

Mike has a camo M2 all raced up and ready to go right now.

Mitch Gibson said:
I have been in the same boat, and have also been dreaming a bit of trading my 2011 for an M2 that is race ready. Not sure I could do it, because my 2011 is a really, really great gun. It has never had a problem not directly caused by the ammo I make for it.

I don't think my 2011 adds anything to my shooting. I jumped on the bandwagon well before there was any "legitimate justification" for such a large and risky purchase just because I envisioned ending up with one further down the line. There is no way I can get the amount of money out of reselling that it cost me to buy in. That is a big deal at the moment, but I think if I moved on that I would not regret it. I do think that having an M2 would be much more beneficial to my overall shooting goals as they stand currently. I too am much more interested in 3-Gun.
is the 2011 stock? I could use one. I gots shotguns

another thing, and this goes for everyone;

Try to stop thinking about guns as tokens having $ value. If you bought it in the first place, that means you can afford it. Especially since ammo etc will cost you WAY more over the span of several years..

Using your skill level to tell you what gun you "deserve" is totally contrary to why you upgraded in gun in the first place.

Lastly, Think about all the practice and dryfire you can do with your gun if you stop over-analyzing whether you should keep it or not.

Make a commitment, whatever it is, once you decide and dont re evaluate every couple months, a funny thing happens. You start shooting that gun better.. whichever one you decide to keep/use.

-this comes from intimate personal experience; Im not preaching.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
mike cyrwus said:
Make a commitment, whatever it is, once you decide and dont re evaluate every couple months, a funny thing happens. You start shooting that gun better.. whichever one you decide to keep/use.
So, practice with whichever gun you decide[d] on and get better with it an don't worry about what kind of gun I "should" have?

yeah; its like getting married. Youre afraid youll get bored, and things wont work out. But if you put the time in and do your part, you cant imagine shooting any other way..

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
Burk Cornelius said:
Troy, What is your 2011 worth, realistically? I mean if you sold it, what could you get for it?
hard to say Burk, at this point right now, I have a number in mind for what I would take for it right now, would I get it? probably not, I may have to put some more work into it.

mike cyrwus said:
Lastly, Think about all the practice and dryfire you can do with your gun if you stop over-analyzing whether you should keep it or not.

This was my problem, from the sectional to the OKC match the following month, I did no dry firing, I didn't even make it the range for practice. For some reason I just couldn't find the motivation, probably due to the fact of contimplating the future of the 2011.

WillR said:
Finish the year out and make a more informed decision. You don't want it gone tomorrow and then next month be thinking man I'm going to have to get another 2011.
This is probably the route I will take. Who knows, I may decide to let my 18.5" M2 go and add some money to get the race ready M2.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
Jesse Tischauser said:
Mitch Gibson your Benelli SBE is not limiting you as compared to an M2. They are almost he same gun.

I would argue that a going from a plastic gun to a 2011 is a much bigger jump in performance that an Benelli SBE to a Benelli M2 full race package.

With that said everyone should own an Accurate Iron Full Race package gun.

Mike has a camo M2 all raced up and ready to go right now.

I've been experiencing a lot of odd gun mounts this year with the SBE, and that has been an issue since the beginning. I just adapted to it. This year's experience is me being out of practice, but I'd like to try fitting a gun to my person. That seems to be extremely common advice for shotgunning. I can't get any stock shims for the SBE, as far as I can tell, to try and fit it to me. Ordered a set from Brownell's that were supposed to fit, but they didn't. I have not tried calling Benelli yet, but Kurt said that is hit or miss when we talked about carrier dog springs. Also, the Comfortech stock is something I want to experience, as well as a lighter shotgun.

mike cyrwus said:
is the 2011 stock? I could use one. I gots shotguns
It's a Dawson CRP with the hard chrome finish, and now it has a Warren adjustable rear sight and a blued extractor. There is also a chromed extractor for it. But you're supposed to be M&Ping until GM ;).

All that aside, I'm not unhappy with my 2011 at all, in fact I really like it and don't see actually getting rid of it. I just have a large variety of shooting to do and things I want to to try, and I am not in a legally binding agreement with this weapon. But I also don't have anything else to shoot Limited with. Sorry about your thread Troy, but this is all probably relevant musing.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Well Troy I have somewhat similar dilemma. I'm trying to figure out why I shoot markedly better with my G19 vs. my M&P 9Pro. It makes no sense, the M&P feels better, has a better trigger (not by much, Cyrwus did them both), has a markedly longer sight radius, FO front sight vs. the giant Trijicon golf ball sized HD front on the G19, and recoils less. But the G19 just hits better for me for some reason that I'm still trying to figure out. I'm pretty confounded actually, as I think the M&P is a better platform all around, but my shooting doesn't show that.

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm going to dig in with my 2011 and see what happens. I have always like my M&P's, probably so much that I don't give anything else a chance. I'm not opposed to a Glock, I have a G17, I just haven't shot it yet.

Latest posts