To Expensive to Shoot

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
Not only is some ammunition hard to find some of it is just to damn expensive to shoot.

I have curtailed my shooting on a couple of calibers because I just can't bring myself to pay what it costs now.
For example a thousand rounds of South African (fracking surplus not US commercial) .308 can cost you $500.
Thats a lot of money.
I find myself not shooting what I already have because replacement cost is so high.

Are any of you experiencing this?

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
I had the S&W 25-5 45 Long Colt. The ammo was expensive, but, it was also impossible to find...I finally had to let thegun go...
Sure do miss it....

Steve

foxxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
prices online are coming down, but for the most part you are correct. Unless you are making some good money it is hard to justify going to the range once or twice a week or even a month for some folks if you can find your calibers. Commodity prices are high, demand from the two wars running, and folks voting for Obama really jacked the prices up over the last year. There are some that still have fifteen to twenty thousand rounds per caliber sitting in their basements. Then again they also have had a lifetime of cheap surplus to purchase. Young guys don't have that luxury.

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry Frost...Traded all the 45 Colt stuff this last weekend at the gun show....

Only thing I have left is the box of John Wayne Long Colt ammo...I keep forgetting about that stuff...

Steve

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
The days of really cheap surplus ammo are over.
The best thing going these days is 5.45x39 it can be had for $120 per thousand.

I know a guy buying it as fast as he can.
He is planning on buying a rifle to shoot it and when he gets down to the last 500 or so rounds he is going to sell the rifle with the remaining ammo.
He figures at worst he will break even on the rifle and make a bit on the ammo.

Cadillac

Administrator
I've gone to Midway and created an order for some .380. it is priced at $15 a box. They only allow you to purchase 3 boxes. When it finally does arrive it will, I hope, come in as a surprise.

My only doubt is that the price will remain. They'll probably find a way to purge all the older purchases by saying they were in the system too long.

I can imagine you could find at least some calibers in this way. They will have to ship it out almost as soon as it arrives.

you can't get much and you can't know when it will come in, but on that day there will be a little party in the back yard!

;)

Frost

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't know if I believe it or not but I have heard people say the shortage is not real.
It is a plot to take our guns by taking away ammunition.

Cadillac

Administrator

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
Perhaps they are under hush orders so that there would not be a nation-wide uprising by gun owners and advocates of 2nd Ammendment rights. I wonder what the NRA has to say about this whole subject. :idea:

jonyrotten

Well-Known Fanatic
i found some WWB .380 at my local hardware store, $30 a 50 rd box. i could only bring myself to buy 1 box, it's way down on my list anyway. we recently bought a S&W mp15 in .22LR to save money on ammo and since it's functionally equivalent to an AR unlike most or all of the .22LR ARs that have come out recently. be damned if i don't like it better than my bushmaster hahaha

jonyrotten

Well-Known Fanatic
Pops said:
I don't see why the manufacturers don't ramp up and "make hay while the sun is shining"?

any that i've seen info on are running 3 shifts 24 hours a day. they just don't have the capacity to keep up with the demand at the moment, especially with the "everybody buying anything available" mentality we have now

only alternative is add more manufacturing, but then when the demand goes away, you're stuck with a line or a whole plant you don't need anymore. wouldn't be smart on their part.

oops, double post :lol:

Latest posts