Tis The Season!

BenchMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
Dunno about anyone else but the first hard frost besides killing all the creepy crawlies, means more time in the shop and not getting a case of heatstroke from a hot pot!

Anyone else roll their own?

20130311_064430.jpg 20130311_064430.jpg 20130312_084653.jpg

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Nice, do a bit of reloading at a friend's house. Where do you get your lead to make bullets? Do you coat them, or just shoot the lead ones?

Tend to agree with 41 Charlie, not sure I have more $, but sure have a lot more fun at the range.

Got any pictures of the alchemy setup?

BenchMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice, do a bit of reloading at a friend's house. Where do you get your lead to make bullets? Do you coat them, or just shoot the lead ones?

Tend to agree with 41 Charlie, not sure I have more $, but sure have a lot more fun at the range.

Got any pictures of the alchemy setup?
I get the precious from a number of sources one of which is mining a local berm, they melt up just fine. When I get a 5 gal. bucket or two of jackets i take them to the scrapper. Who just happens to have broken batteries and wheel weights in bulk.

Depending on location good finds can be had from roofers and plumbers who are "gentrifying" old buildings. One find I had was from an old chemistry classroom. Though they are getting harder to find wheel weights are the best option, because they are the "ready mix" of the lead prospectors finds. All the ingrediants needed to make a great cast bullet for low pressure applications like .45ACP and below 1100 fps. In others can be had from the lowly wheel weight.

No pics of my casting area, who wants to see a pic of a colman stove with a pot on it? Or better yet one of me dancing around cause I bumped the ladle skimming slang and dumped the works on the floor? There is alot to be said of working for Uncle Sugar, one of them is KISS, I can have the whole kit broke down and packed away in 10 mike's. ;)

Coating you ask? I have been getting away from the lube press and Lee's tumble lube applications as of late after reading articles on powdercoating and that is the direction I'm heading in. I like the shake and bake idea and withe less mess from making my own beeswax lube( my own formula on bullet pictures with blue crayon coloring) powder coating seems less time consuming. They still need to be sized but one push through and done with no sticky mess.

A couple of good articles on the coating process can be found in Handloader magazine, the Oct. 2016 and Feb. 2018 issues respectively.

While not as accurate as jacketed stuff, they will still run plates and punch paper just as well. :D

BenchMonkey

Well-Known Fanatic
Fluxing and skimming first thing in the am. 0430 local, got a do it before the littles stir. 12lbs. Good clean stuff. All said and done, about 350 228 grain round nose pills for the stockpile.

20181118_071018.jpg

Latest posts