Tip on disassembling a 1911 w/ bull barrel / no barrel bushing..featuring Bul 9mm Cmdr.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I posted my preference for favoring a bull barrel (w/o bushing) over the traditional barrel bushing in another forum.
Since it is raining here, & I wanted to clean my Bul Armory Cmdr 9mm after last night's MN range trip, thought I should take a few pics & share them here.
Also wanted to show how nice the Bul pistol is..no machining marks, very nice workmanship on all the pieces, internally as well as externally.
My gunsmith gave me some small brass nails (tiny!) he uses to disassemble a bushingless barrel. I found straightening a paperclip, with a short 90 degree bend about 1/8" or 3/16" from the end is easier to hold onto. I kept dropping those small nails..fumblefingers.
Here's some pics.. 1st my "tool"..got alittle bent, should have straightened it for the pic..clip.JPG

Last edited:

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I bent my "tool as I was reinstalling the barrel, forgot that when you are replacing the barrel in the slide, you should put a thumb @ the back of the guide rod & push it forward, so the guide rod moves forward enough that the hole in the guide rod is PAST the front of the slide..then the clip can be easily installed or removed.guide clip.JPG With the clip in the hole in the guide rod (possible by pressing the guide rod forward , while it's still in the slide) the clip holds the spring compressed on the guide rod, & it can be easily removed. The barrel comes out easily, as long as you remember to move the barrel link to a horizontal position.

Just remember when reinstalling the guide rod, push forward (again) to remove the clip!
removal.JPG