tip for success at long matches

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I know it is said that water is the best to drink and I know it IS necessary, but outside working (or playing) in the heat, Gatoraide will just take me farther than just water. I'll also admit I don't eat enough in the heat though and that may have something to do with it.

Edit to add: Hey Troy, when you talk to your people ask about potato chips. They seem to help too. My theory is that the starch is converted to sugar (= energy) and then there is the all important sodium then they contain helping out.

dennishoddy

I know it is said that water is the best to drink and I know it IS necessary, but outside working (or playing) in the heat, Gatoraide will just take me farther than just water. I'll also admit I don't eat enough in the heat though and that may have something to do with it.

True, potassium is supposed to be a good factor in the heat, and there is some in gatorade.
Not only does one have to be in the heat to get dehydrated, but you can do the same in sub zero temps. A friend got dehydrated at a 9000' elk hunt, and had to be carried out due to dehydration.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
True, potassium is supposed to be a good factor in the heat, and there is some in gatorade.
Not only does one have to be in the heat to get dehydrated, but you can do the same in sub zero temps. A friend got dehydrated at a 9000' elk hunt, and had to be carried out due to dehydration.
Was this the one you just went on? I've never got dehydrated in the cold, but I know it can happen. I know one dangerous way and you don't realize it when it's happening is when you are riding your motorcycle in the heat. I rode the the Mojave desert in August and damn near had a bad problem. You still sweat, but the wind dries it instantly and it's not really strenuous so it's easy to go too long. I was stopping about every 100 miles for gas, gatoraid and a smoke. Had left LA and when I pulled into Needles, CA the guy at the gas station had to ask if I was alright. I went into the bathroom and I was red as a beet. Had another gatoraid (2 on that stop) and splashed some water on the face. That stop took longer than ususal but I made it to Kingman, AZ. LA to OKC in August isn't a good idea unless you have plenty of time.

dennishoddy

It didn't happen on the latest hunt in the high country, but the hunt organizer had this happen to him about 4 years ago. FYI he doesn't drink alcohol. That can also be a factor.

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
Yup. Alcohol helps dehydrate you. For some reason, beer and coke type drinks are the last thing I want when in the elements. It just seems that I'm more thirsty after drinking one, than I was before. Now after the activity is over is another matter entirely.

Squirrel

Well-Known Fanatic
When you are thinking about the kind of sugars (glucose) to eat at a match stay away from sucrose (white table sugar) and high fructose corn syrup; lean towards fructose (fruits) and maltose (grains).

Biggs

GunZoo
Right or wrong, I'm usually armed with a couple Clif bars and a Camelbak full of H2O. Peanut butter crunch is tasty.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
When you are thinking about the kind of sugars (glucose) to eat at a match stay away from sucrose (white table sugar) and high fructose corn syrup; lean towards fructose (fruits) and maltose (grains).

well depends.. i think you take grains early on because it is more of a "slow release", but if at a deficit and need a quick fix, anything will do.. my main point is eating protein rich during the match will not help...

Squirrel

Well-Known Fanatic
well depends.. i think you take grains early on because it is more of a "slow release", but if at a deficit and need a quick fix, anything will do.. my main point is eating protein rich during the match will not help...

True, I was thinking about that. I usually mix up my own trail mix minus the M&M's (Kashi Cinnamon Crunch, various dried fruits and nuts) and then have my water.

Latest posts