tip for success at long matches

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
(just stick with me it will make sense at the end)

Studies have shown that difficult cognitive activity and/or self control depletes glucose levels in a similar way that working out does. In a study, they took people and had them watch a video with words going across the screen that they had to ignore (hence self control, so basically very similar to focusing on a target while ignoring everything else in a match). They then split them up into 2 groups and had them both drink lemonade, one had glucose (sugar) and the other had splenda (which doesn't affect glucose levels). Both groups were given a test where the answers were intuitive responses (which is exactly what shooting is, an intuitive exercise). The second group had many more errors than the first group.

So if throughout a long match you are not eating/drinking anything that will up your glucose levels, you will experience depletion effect which is a scientific proven effect that will affect performance.

imacgyver

Founding Member
I thought this was a post on how to shoot out to 300+ in a match :( But still great information - you know me, I have a one track mind

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
So, according to this study, what is the preferred food/drink that will maintain or increase the glucose levels?

well they didn't get into that, but it is the same approach that runners take, meaning everything from carb gel, to just basic gatorade (but once again not the "diet" gatorade) or something like orange juice.... even a candy bar is better than a protein heavy snack...

dennishoddy

Well, I like gatorade, but prefer the G2 version to maintain my "athletic form" :85:

Seriously, I'd like to see the study if you have a link.

imacgyver

Founding Member
I dont like the way bananas taste after shooting. I'd want something to knock out in a bite or two

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
At Area 4 this year on Saturday, we were all making silly mistakes towards the end of the day on my squad. I had 4 or 5 liters of gatoraid and 6 or 7 bottled waters plus some snacks and lunch. The heat will just suck it out of you. Still had a headache at the end of the day. That cool shower felt really really good back at the hotel before dinner and a brew.

TroyF

TheBearcat
Here is some helpful, and scary, information about heat related illness.

http://www.littleleague.org/Assets/forms_pubs/tournaments/Heat_and_Humidity_Danger.pdf

TroyF

TheBearcat
Take a look at that chart. I'd say we spend a good deal of our time shooting in the red zone. There is a little info on sugars, but not much. I'll talk to some folks in the next few days and get some examples of some good stuff to eat/drink during periods of heat/activity.

I use this type of information all of the time when i'm conducting DT training for my department.

dennishoddy

Take a look at that chart. I'd say we spend a good deal of our time shooting in the red zone. There is a little info on sugars, but not much. I'll talk to some folks in the next few days and get some examples of some good stuff to eat/drink during periods of heat/activity.

I use this type of information all of the time when i'm conducting DT training for my department.

Good post. I work at a power plant where the temps can reach 150 degrees in areas, and don't have any requirment other than drink a ton of water while working in these areas. We do have to have a person available to help, and each person has a radio to call for help if necessary. I know after cycling in and out of the area at 30 minute intervals, the brain is struggling to retain any information.

Latest posts