timney worth $100 over jp trigger?

brotherhef

Well-Known Fanatic
so far the research ive done and the reviews ive read says jp and timney are both great. The jp is a great trigger for the money. This will be used for 3 gun and target shooting at the range. Is the timney worth the extra $100? If you know any help would be much appreciated. Im looking at the 3 lb on both.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
I have the Timney 3lb and I like it a lot - that being said if you compare apples to apples you would be looking at the JP EZ Trigger which comes with the speed hammer and everything $259. The $120 JP doesn't have a hammer with it. Also - look around - I only paid 184 for my Timney

Chris_Andersen

Certified
so far the research ive done and the reviews ive read says jp and timney are both great. The jp is a great trigger for the money. This will be used for 3 gun and target shooting at the range. Is the timney worth the extra $100? If you know any help would be much appreciated. Im looking at the 3 lb on both.

Get the JP.

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
Listen to Chris - he knows more than I do by far - I'm just lazy and the drop-in was a hell of a lot easier to install. That being said all the big names shoot the JP.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Well first off J.P. is not a "great trigger for the money"!! IT IS A GREAT TRIGGER FOR ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY!!! It just happens to be the best value also! Now here is the cool part! If you want a great J.P. trigger but don't think you can install it yourself, you can send your lower to J.P. and for an extra $35.00 they will instll it set it up exactly right and you will have a nice 2 1/2# to 3# trigger in about a week or two. they also offer a stripped lower with their safety AND trigger already installed for like $285.00....you won't see anything like that from ANYONE else!! Get J.P.!
It is the chosen trigger of the U.S. IPSC standard Limited team!

brotherhef

Well-Known Fanatic
I assume you guys are saying just get the cheaper jp and not the more expensive $250 jp that comes with hammer?

Also how hard is the jp to install?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass

Chambers

actual GM
You don't need the JP speed hammer.

I'm using a regular old milspec hammer with mine. If you want you can cut the spur off the back with a dremel to reduce the weight and lock-time.

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
The Geisselle is more of a "duty type" 2 stage trigger. The JP is a single stage trigger. Both are excellent, but they fill different roles. If you want to spend more money on a trigger for 3-gun, then you want the new Geisselle S3G or SD3G trigger. These are a hybrid between a traditional 2-stage and a single stage with a short reset. I haven't used one yet, but it's a derivative of their SSF, which I have on my RR M-16. That trigger is superb.

Seriously, the JP is a great trigger for a game gun and an excellent value. I'm not sure the S3G series will buy you much unless you're a really good rifleman.

KillShot

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I'm not a 3-gun guy but I'm looking for a good precision trigger for my rifle and I'm unsure of what to get.
unsure.gif

jtischauser

For precision shooting lighter is better isn't it? Try a JP at 3 lbs. If it's not light enough Hank it out and sell it for $5-10 less than you bought it for then go onto the next more expensive one. If you don't like the JP I'll be suprised.

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I'm not a 3-gun guy but I'm looking for a good precision trigger for my rifle and I'm unsure of what to get.
unsure.gif

The JP will work just fine for the rig you have. If I were going to pony up for a Geisselle on the setup you have, it would be their DMR trigger.

brotherhef

Well-Known Fanatic
Get this http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPFC-1 and this http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPSH-1A and this http://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPAW-1 and your in under $180. If you can't install it yourself there are several members here that can help you or Mike at Accurate Iron can do it for a small fee. The one I have in my DPMS lower that I sent to JP to have installed is sweet.

well I went to go and buy this and I saw this warning that their triggers have had some problems which scare me...thoughts

We are constantly reevaluating our products from both the safety and reliability standpoint, and it has come to our attention that the thread locker product used to secure the button-head screws in the JP Anti-Walk Pins installed in JP assembled rifles and lowers may not be properly curing. This could allow the retaining screws to vibrate out of the pins during live fire. This applies to any JP-15â"¢, JP-15â"¢/VTAC, CTR-02â"¢ or LRP-07â"¢ assembledâ€"or custom trigger installation performedâ€"with the second-generation anti-walk pins installed with button-head screws.

Loss of a retaining screw due to the effects of live fire could result in the trigger or hammer pins becoming unsecured in the receiver. If the unsecured trigger or hammer pins back out of the receiver and the pin drops one side into the receiver, misalignment of fire control components could cause serious malfunctions such as failure to fire or accidental discharge. Either case can result in injury or death.

It is extremely important to test the screws on your receivers by placing a 1/16" hex driver on both sides and attempting to turn counterclockwise to determine if the screws are properly secured. If either side backs out with little or no force applied, remove the screws and thoroughly degrease the threaded hole and the screw using a solvent such as lacquer thinner. Apply an appropriate thread locker product and allow it to cure as instructed by the manufacturer before further use. Check all screws again after the thread locker sets up. Note that it is only necessary to check to see if the screws will not move with light force applied to the keys. There is no need to apply enough force to actually remove the screws, only to test the retention of the thread locker product.

If you have installed a JPFCP kit or AW pins, also test the screws to ensure that your thread locker has cured and that the screws are secured. In any case, if you are not able to secure the screws properly, please contact us to send in your lower assembly for service in the JP custom shop with a one-week turnaround. Upon request, JP Enterprises will supply new screws pre-coated with a thread locker at no charge to replace these screws.

Email or call us with questions or if you need replacement screws.

jtischauser

They had a bad batch of thread locker. My Dpms receiver had the bad stuff. I simply unscrewed the screws in the anti walk pins and dropped some red picture in them and the crisis was over.

Rustyzx9

Founding Member
I've got the JP setup in my rifle with KNS anti rotation pins that are "kept" (already had these), and have had zero problems. Wall and Jesse are correct, proper application of good loctite will take care of things. As fars a the JP trigger goes, it's effing outstanding! I love the single stage and mine breaks at 3.25 pounds.

Latest posts