Those old war stories..........

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes Sir......exactly why I posted it.
A dear friend worked the Habu. He was badly burned in '89 and removed from the program.

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
That's a great story I have heard it before.

My Grandfather worked at Lockheed at the time they were building those planes and had final inspection on the landing landing gear assembly before it was mounted to the plane.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Here's one that is close to my heart.

The story of the Boeing Dash 80 barrel roll by Tex Johnson.
The Dash 80 was created from the Kc-135a design. The 1st Tanker rolled out of the hangar in 1954, the newest models are from 1964. Many are still flying today, most of the ones I worked were 1960 or 1961 models. The -80 is a comercialized version of the -135 and was developed into the Boeing 707.

The KC135 is what I flew on for most of my USAF career as a Flying Crew Chief. I worked many of the numerous models to include the CENTCOM Command CINC's aircraft, the last I crewed until I promoted myself into a desk.

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
Looking back, one of my most memorable experiences was flying with "Mr P-3", Jay Beasley, Lockheed's senior test pilot and trainer for the P-3 program. He came out to Hawaii to fly with the P-3 squadron's NATOPS Officers. He put me through a bunch of his favorite pilot evaluation exercises and then announced that "since you seem to have a pretty good handle on knowing and flying this aircraft, we're going to do a few things that aren't in the booK." Suffice to say that flying the P-3 with 3 out of 4 engines shut down and reversing the props prior to touching down on a landing weren't "in the book". I learned a heck of a lot from that gent but had to swear that I would never do those things with anyone else in the co-pilots seat. One month later I was designated as the 7th Fleet Flight Examiner for P-3 pilots and aircrew. I'm sure that Jay had a good bit to do with that. Jay passed away in the early 90's with more than 20,000 hours of flying Lockheed's aircraft. One hell of a guy.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I've heard of Mr Beasley, he was a A&P as well as a pilot. I think he was United or American's Sr Mechanic before he went to work for Lockheed. A very well respected and extremely talented individual

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
Jay was , indeed, qualified in A&P (airframe & power plants inspection for those not familiar) in addition to his other accomplishments. You can "Google up" his history if you're interested.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I think I'll do that.......not much of a pilot guy, but I love to learn about old school A&P

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
Do it! I'm the same way. My father was triple qual'ed as a private pilot as well as A&P - but not at Jay's level. However, he was the Curtis Wright Tech Rep and parts expediter for the RAF for two years during WWII. Some of the most rewarding jobs that I had in the Navy were in the aviation maintenance field. Not enough recognition went to the guys who kept 'em flying - very often working 12 to 14 hours a day.

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
He was a very remarkable person and I was truly honored to fly with him. Not many Naval aviators can say that. Hint. We don't refer to ourselves as pilots in the Navy. But that's another story. :0)

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
This is the most badass thread I've ever stumbled upon on any forum! I love aviation and an slowly working on getting my pilots license. I would be the Cessna pilot from the beginning of the first clip. ;)

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
FW'

Here's a true story for ya.
A short time ago, some of us from the other forum were invited to Arkansas for a tour of the Nighthawk facility. Mr Stone invited us to his home for a shoot at his range and a BBQ the following afternoon.

After the shoot, we were all up at the house looking out the back porch across the horse pasture. It was a typical pasture for the area, a bit of a slow rolling meadow, wonderfully beautiful.

On the other side of Pangari1, Mr. Doug Turnbull was standing. Oh, did I fail to mention that Doug Turnbull was there for the shoot and BBQ? He flew his PA12-180 in for some business in the area. Seems it's rather common for him to stay the night at Mr Stone's.

Anyrate, he kinda stated to himself, but aloud, "If the horses weren't there, I could do it.....I could land there".

So after eating we ended up at the same table and we started chatting about aviation and his Super Cub as a pilot and an A&P will do. Must have talked aircraft for an hour and a half. He's an adventurous spirit, has a great deal of experience in that plane.
Mr Turnbull's Super Cub is rather awesome, it's a 1946? with more than a few mods. It has the high tires, 31".

An adventurous spirit, we spoke a lot that night. He's a heck of a shooter and a fine gentleman. Below is a rather rare pics of Doug sans his iconic Bowler.

E8979495-AC2D-47E6-B6CB-58E81046AC50.jpeg
C9A1741E-84CC-497A-A7EC-AE62E25E35F5.jpeg

Last edited: