This forum is dead.

SGW Gunsmith

Well-Known Fanatic
No. If your not happy with this forum, just quit posting on it. It's really that simple.
Man, there ain't no way that this arena should ever even be wounded. Not if I can help it. I'm fairly new with my postings here but I have truly found this forum to be one of thee MOST civil firearms forums in existence.
Hell, I wouldn't even mind being of some help as a "moderator here", and that's sayin' a whole lot from my view of the other forums I've been affiliated with in the past on the inter-web!

SGW Gunsmith

Well-Known Fanatic
First of all I would like to reintroduce myself. My name is Lee (dancer4life) and I originally joined the forum in 2014. I'm 56 years old and live in Yukon, OK. I want to thank Blackbeard for reaching our to me and I assume a lot of the old inactive members. I joined this forum about 6 years ago because I was really interested in competition shooing. I got lots of great information at the time but unfortunately due to my job and life, I have never gotten give it a try.

With this forum being a great Niche for competitive shooters, it didn't really offer much for the average gun enthusiast such as myself. I was made to feel that way as well by some of the members. So I left. Not mad or upset but I just went a looked for other forums that would make me feel welcome for just being a gun enthusiast.
I am and have been a member and moderator of a number of other forums and have really enjoyed them.

I love all firearms. I love watching competitive shooters on video, I love collecting guns, I love target practice, I love defensive training, I love anything that has to do with guns. I own all types of guns, from Glock's (my passion) to 1911's to AR's to AK's to deer rifles (lever action and bolt action) to shotguns.

I am coming back to BoomerShooter mainly because I just like to support all things guns and especially the local forums. Heck, I still have two BoomerShooter shooting jerseys I got here through I think it was called the "Contingency Program". I may be wrong but for some reason that sounds right. I really would hate if this forum dies. It has a great niche for competitive shooters but I really do think it needs to really try to focus on other areas of the gun world as well to bring in/back members that are not just competitive shooters.

I apologize for being long winded. Good luck to the Admins and I hope nothing but the best for the BoomerShooter forum. I will continue to support however I can.

Thanks guys.

I'm sort of a "newbie" here, but I have ventured onto many other on-line firearms forums with the attitude that I would like to "contribute" some of my knowledge involved with .22 rimfire, including resurrection, restoration and getting those .22 rimfire firearms that languish in the closet, back to sharing in some fun again.
My hopes also include what others are contributing to the forums they've gotten involved with, and even what some will label as "lurkers" who just want to sit behind the curtains and read some helpful STUFF.
A "sour-grapes" attitude does nothing to get peoples attention as it only drives some folks away, especially because the negative attitudes serve no REALLY useful purpose. It's like sitting in an airplane with a whiny 3 year old in the seat behind you, and there are no windows to open. :rolleyes:

SGW Gunsmith

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't think forum participation has much to do with being a "niche" forum. Sure, having a broad base helps. I think it had to do with those who compete in competitions and is how the site came to be as there was another forum in Oklahoma who wasn't so friendly to those who compete as I remember it and we came here to learn from each other. The way I see it, participation began to dwindle as more and more people went to facebook as well as seeing those who were active posters become less involved in shooting competitions. Get those types of people back and I would be happy to join in the discussions again, if you want to make it more like the forum we already have in Oklahoma, I don't want any part of that.

Attracting folks to any forum depends somewhat (mostly?) on the subject matter that 'joiners' hope to read about. I'm not aware of any forum called "Complainers R Us" but there just might be one out there somewhere.
As for me, I'm unable to understand why anybody would hang on a forum and whine about said forum for over a year. I'm just not that patient, at least without first trying to help get the ball rolling with some posts that inform or ask questions to see if any interest develops from that inquisition. So, I would venture to suggest that if any forum drives you to whiskey, try a forum that at least has whiskey taste testers to share your questions with.

dennishoddy

I'm sort of a "newbie" here, but I have ventured onto many other on-line firearms forums with the attitude that I would like to "contribute" some of my knowledge involved with .22 rimfire, including resurrection, restoration and getting those .22 rimfire firearms that languish in the closet, back to sharing in some fun again.
My hopes also include what others are contributing to the forums they've gotten involved with, and even what some will label as "lurkers" who just want to sit behind the curtains and read some helpful STUFF.

A "sour-grapes" attitude does nothing to get peoples attention as it only drives some folks away, especially because the negative attitudes serve no REALLY useful purpose. It's like sitting in an airplane with a whiny 3 year old in the seat behind you, and there are no windows to open
n. :rolleyes:

dennishoddy

Speaking of some .22 that has languished in the closet, I recently acquired 7 firearms, with three being .22 from a FIL that passed away.
He was originally from East Tennessee in the hollars. Moonshine and poaching was a way of life when he was a kid.
I have the rifle he grew up with that has all the scars and redneck "gunsmithing" intact.
He said his dad would give him three or four rounds. If he didn't come in with something for the table, there was hell to pay.
I'll get some pics and get them posted.

dennishoddy

Model 69 Winchester. You can see the amazing backwoods gunsmithing.

Attachments

• C6C79DC2-73D6-4353-BE87-C0DCCC47B2E2.jpeg
    C6C79DC2-73D6-4353-BE87-C0DCCC47B2E2.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • 6E5E0FC9-A374-42C5-A046-85EB98C5A236.jpeg
    6E5E0FC9-A374-42C5-A046-85EB98C5A236.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
  • 512347CC-8C4D-409E-8693-9412024539D1.jpeg
    512347CC-8C4D-409E-8693-9412024539D1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2
  • 6ACA8419-D3FF-4A00-A792-258AE2113657.jpeg
    6ACA8419-D3FF-4A00-A792-258AE2113657.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

dennishoddy

Click on the pics for a better look. ^^^^^ Lots of bad brazing the scope mount to the barrel.
Surprisingly enough, it's pretty accurate at the 20 yards I've shot it at, Long rifle, longs and shorts.

SGW Gunsmith

Well-Known Fanatic
^^^^ Fair, and very "civil" question. Knowing the extent of any of the members/posters here, and their "skill level", requires actually knowing that person posting, and then knowing what they're capable of doing. :)

Over the years, I've tried my hand at doing some gunstock work, including hand-cut checkering. Some day I just might get there.

Attachments

• M98-7mm.jpg
    M98-7mm.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 2
  • VZ24Forearm.jpg
    VZ24Forearm.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 2

dennishoddy

I can only imagine. I know of a gun maker here in Ok that does checkering. Learned his craft in Belgium as an apprentice, finally gaining his title of gun maker. The engraving on receivers is also a craft that would really take patience.

Latest posts