Things I learned today taking a USPSA class from a Pro shooter

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
Took a 1 on 1 USPSA class today With Shannon Smith, who is a Pro shooter, runs Universal Shooting Academy in Frostproof (with Manny Bragg and a few others) and is local to me.

First thing I learned was that no matter what you think you are doing right, you may be completely wrong. I thought my grip and trigger manipulation were good, and I started out wanting to work on other things that I was having issues with. But grip and trigger manipulation turned out to be my main problems. Once he corrected those things, the other things I had wanted to work on started to fall into place much easier.

Main thing I learned was never to get cocky and think you have the fundementals down so much that you never actively practice them.

I also realized that 3gun has made me sloppy. 2 on paper anywhere has made me to were I didn't focus on the right part of the target. I was just getting 2 on paper as fast as I could and moving on. I was doing more of a double tap then a controlled pair. Going back to USPSA, I was getting a lot of low Alpha's and then a Charlie or Delta. By just shifting focus higher, I was getting a lot more Alpha's.

I learned a lot more, but these were what really stuck out to me.

I wish I had taken a class sooner, I be a lot better of a shooter by now if I had.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Anyone that is serious about competitive shooting no matter the discipline should take a pistol class with a top USPSA GM. Those guys are really good at seeing sights, pulling triggers and movement between positions and targets.

Latest posts