The Teacher and the Glock

KyleFarnham

Well-Known Fanatic
I have had my CCW permit for almost two years, but have been severly limited on my ability to carry daily because of my place of work. As I am told, the only time a loaded weapon is allowed on school property is if the person is picking up their child from school. People are not allowed in the building or to park on school property. Just get your kid and get moving.

In order to carry daily, I am forced to go home after work (NW OKC to Yukon), gear up, and then run my errands. This is mildly annoying to say the least and often makes it so I just don't carry my concealed weapon. It becomes easier to take care of my business near work before going home rather than go home get my concealed weapon and then drive back into OKC. (extra miles and time) :(

I've thought of/been told of various solutions, but some just don't work or I am not sure how legal it is. For example...
-Park off of school property and just leave the conealed weapon in my car. This doesn't work because my school site is in a neighborhood and the only extra parking is on neighborhood streets. (also, I am not sure how I feel about leaving a loaded gun in my car unattended for hours on end.)
-Is it possible to leave the weapon in the school parking lot during the day if it is field stripped? (i.e. put the magazine in the glove box, frame under the seat, and throw the slide in my bag.) This would be awesome because I could reassemble it as soon as I leave school property and have it with me during the rest of my day.
-I was once told that a teacher can carry a concealed weapon on school property if they get a letter from the district/school administration authorizing them the do so. Has anyone else heard of this one? Is it even a real option?
-A few have even suggested just carry/keep it in my car regardless of how the law is interpreted, but I really like teaching and a felony charge would end that career choice REAL quick! ....plus, I'm too pretty to go to prison. ;)

The quote below is what got me thinking about this again. It was left as a comment by a mom on a news site and I thought it summed up my thoughts on the issue as well.
"A teacher stands in as a parent in my absence. In that case, they'd better be throwing themselves in front of my children and stopping bullets with their own bodies, as I would do for my children, to save their students.
This happened both at Columbine and in Virginia, where teachers gave their lives saving their students. Why should they be helpless? They certainly should not. Shame on anyone who thinks that a teacher, who would give their lives for their students, shouldn't be allowed to defend them with a gun."

So...with the open cary bills that have been proposed lately, have their been any changes to the CCW law regarding my situation? ...or am I just out of luck because of where I work?

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/01/21/107192/texas-gun-rights-activists-want.html#storylink=cpy​

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
You can't leave a weapon unattended on school property, stripped or no. You're only option is to park off school property and leave it in your car.

They have little lock boxes that have a nice cable you can attach to your car seat or something and lock your gun in it. If someone does break into your car, they'd need a power drill or some heavy bolt cutters to get your gun.

Also, is it a public school, a university, or vo-tech? I read they did/are changing the laws so you can carry on vo-tech type schools. Otherwise, you're SOL.

dennishoddy

The law about carrying on Votech parking lots has been passed and signed into law by the Governor.
It is legal to keep a weapon in a locked vehicle on votech parking lots only.
There is a current bill making its way through the state legislature to also allow ammunition to be kept in locked vehicles on employer and votech parking lots in locked vehicles. The original bill left that language out.

Vash1023

Active Fanatic
this ones easy.... :)

seperate the slide and lower while your at work.

leave the lower and mags in the car. and throw the slide in a small sunglasses case and put it in your laptop bag.

KyleFarnham

Well-Known Fanatic
this ones easy.... :)
seperate the slide and lower while your at work.
leave the lower and mags in the car. and throw the slide in a small sunglasses case and put it in your laptop bag.

This is a solution I thought might work, but I'm just not so sure the District Attorney/Police/school administration would interpret the law the same way I do. :(
hmmm... is there a way to ask the DA for their view on this situation?

dennishoddy

Just call them and ask. They are elected officials. They take phone calls, and will meet with you personally if their schedule permits. Personally, I'd write or email them, so that you have a hard copy of their response.

I do know that DA's in the same county interperate the law differently, even though its a law when one takes over from another. Their desire to be re-elected and please what they think is their voting base can cloud their judgement and make them procecute an offense when the DA that preceeded them would decline.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
I don't know the answer, but i will say, be careful about trying to "get around the rules". There is always a horror story of someone that didn't think it would be a big deal and they were unlucky and an overagressive cop/judge got a hold of them. I wouldn't risk your future (if you had gun charges, your future would change drastically..) over something like this... people with gun charges on their record don't get many job offers, especially at schools!!

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Last I heard a gun wasn't allowed on school property at all unless being worn by a uniformed officer on duty. I could be wrong on it, but I don't want to risk it myself.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
taking it apart doesn't get around the rules.
The ATF considers the serialized portion a "Gun" regardless of whether or not the rest is there.
This is the reason you have to fill out a 4473 on an AR Lower.
So, while technically you only have gun parts, anyone that wanted to prove something would have a pretty easy time with it.

Your best bet would be to seperate the parts & leave the lower (serialized portion) & ammo off of school grounds.

For the record, I'm not an attorney or a prosecutor & you should consider this opinion as valuable as what it cost you, NOTHING.

KyleFarnham

Well-Known Fanatic
I do know that DA's in the same county interperate the law differently, even though its a law when one takes over from another. Their desire to be re-elected and please what they think is their voting base can cloud their judgement and make them procecute an offense when the DA that preceeded them would decline.

I've thought of this too. It would be real annoying to go through the trouble of getting a favorable interpretation of the law from one DA only to have another one elected and decide that they don't agree.

I don't know the answer, but i will say, be careful about trying to "get around the rules". There is always a horror story of someone that didn't think it would be a big deal and they were unlucky and an overagressive cop/judge got a hold of them. I wouldn't risk your future (if you had gun charges, your future would change drastically..) over something like this... people with gun charges on their record don't get many job offers, especially at schools!!

...this is soo true and the main reason I don't try anything iffy on the interpretation. I find that when you play in the gray area of an issue it usually turns out bad for you when the fecal matter hits the rotating oscillator. :)

KyleFarnham

Well-Known Fanatic
Your best bet would be to seperate the parts & leave the lower (serialized portion) & ammo off of school grounds.

Things would be so much simpler if my school wasn't located in a neighborhood... with a horse farm next door.
The lack of off-campus public parking really limits my options and unfortunately means I have to leave my concealed weapon at home. :(
Oh well.... I guess i'll have to scare the bad guys with my intimidating size and a scary growl! **headed off to practice in front of a mirror**

dennishoddy

Your absolutely correct. Anything can be a weapon at close range. A tightly rolled up newspaper to the Adam's apple will put a person down in a heartbeat.

I see an ad in some of the gun rags that says to shoot them in the eyes with a fire extinguisher and then hit them over the head with it. Good advice.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
We were discussing this the other day...just say you were leaving a school and got pulled over. Do you declare your armed status? (per SDA statutes)

If the officer noticed you leaving the building... you just admitted to a felony.

Drop off only ..SDA is clear about that.