The jury has spoken

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
The kid died from the secondary barrage of gunshots being unloaded into his torso, by the way. It's interesting that these little facts seem to be so elusive.

Yeah cause the head shot that left brain matter on the ground didnt have anything to do with it. The head shot killed him the second group of shots may have hurried it along but he was dead either way,

Deathtrap

Semi-Pro/Beep that SH!T
I hope he gets off on appeal and sues the kids families for his legal expenses

dennishoddy

I think what really hurt him was the fact that in court they showed he lied about A LOT of stuff, not the types of lies you tell women when you say "you don't look fat in that", but lying to police officers and lying about being in a war.... what i am saying is that they were able to "draw" a picture of a non-trustworthy guy (not saying it is right or wrong just stating facts), instead of a humble honest person that was just caught up in the moment......

This, in my opinion is what ended up in his conviction.

In OKC, LEO's are not required to be interviewed until 48 hours have passed.
Steve S has posted the reason why.

Anything you say in the moments, minutes, hours, and days later will all be taken into consideration if anything goes to trial.

I'm not a lawyer nor an LEO, but if you are ever involved in anything like this, no matter what the Castle Doctrine, or concealed carry laws say, call 911, stay on the phone with them to describe who you are when the leo's show up, and keep your mouth shut about the incident.
Follow all directions from the LEO, and do not make a statment until consulting with a lawyer. You will probably have to give up your weapon, and maybe spend a day or so behind bars. Keep your mouth shut.
This video is 48 minutes long, but if your a Concealed Weapons carrier, it may be the best 48 minutes of the rest of your life if you watch this all the way to the end. If you don't.............you might end up like Jerome.
The first half of the video is a trial lawyer. The second half is a presentation from an LEO that will show you how a stupid statment will send you to the big house. Watch the WHOLE THING!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
None of us were in the jury, so we don't know everything about the case. If I want to believe in our justice system then I have to accept the verdict. It is pointless to post a story like this and then take a poll if one believes a defendant should be found guilty or not.

Our justice system is not perfect, but it is the best one we have now and as law abiding citizens I think we should continue to trust in it.

There are no "winners" in a case like this. It is a tragic waste of human lives and potential, for both victim and defendant. Both people had choices and they both chose badly in their actions.

K

brandt9913

Well-Known Fanatic

Anything you say in the moments, minutes, hours, and days later will all be taken into consideration if anything goes to trial.

I'm not a lawyer nor an LEO, but if you are ever involved in anything like this, no matter what the Castle Doctrine, or concealed carry laws say, call 911, stay on the phone with them to describe who you are when the leo's show up, and keep your mouth shut about the incident.
Follow all directions from the LEO, and do not make a statment until consulting with a lawyer. You will probably have to give up your weapon, and maybe spend a day or so behind bars. Keep your mouth shut.
This video is 48 minutes long, but if your a Concealed Weapons carrier, it may be the best 48 minutes of the rest of your life if you watch this all the way to the end. If you don't.............you might end up like Jerome.
The first half of the video is a trial lawyer. The second half is a presentation from an LEO that will show you how a stupid statment will send you to the big house. Watch the WHOLE THING!

I haven't watched that video, but completely agree that he should have kept his mouth shut and thought out what he said for a couple days. I definitely do not think he should have even been charged with first degree murder, but it would be hard for me to argue against charging him with manslaughter to begin with. The verdict surprised the he'll out of me. I've done a lot of stupid stuff in matches (forgetting targets, etc.) after the buzzer goes off and I can't believe the jury could convict on premeditated murder under that kind of stress. If he kept his mouth shut and not gone all over the news bragging about what he had done, I think we would have a different outcome today.

TroyF

TheBearcat
Guys, we are blurring the line between what we feel is morally right and what is legally acceptable. Fact is you have the right to shoot until the threat is no longer a rthreat. We shoot to stop, whatever happens after that is up to God. If he was unconscious after the first shot, which the M.E.'S Office says is the case, then the threat was stopped. The additional shots, moments later were judged to be excessive. That is where his major problem is.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
Guys, we are blurring the line between what we feel is morally right and what is legally acceptable. Fact is you have the right to shoot until the threat is no longer a rthreat. We shoot to stop, whatever happens after that is up to God. If he was unconscious after the first shot, which the M.E.'S Office says is the case, then the threat was stopped. The additional shots, moments later were judged to be excessive. That is where his major problem is.
you are right, but i guess what alot of people are feeling is kind of what jesse said, if a timer goes off in my ear and i am shooting at paper and that makes me crazy it is tough to condemn a man to prison for LIFE, 5 years ago i would have jumped all over this guy for how wrong he is, but the older i get (along with the more mistakes i make), it is tough to just say "sorry you are wrong, enjoy life in prison".... i think most everyone here knows that he was wrong...

SteveS

Well-Known Fanatic

I do not disagree. With that being said I teach in my classes and seminars to state the basic facts and absolutely keep your opinions and assumptions to yourself. If you are attacked by an unknown person and you are scared and use the minimum force necessary to defend yourself state that and nothing more. Keep in mind that there is one thing that MUST be present in all self defense scenarios "you were scared"

I am not an attorney. But as an officer for 16 years I never arrested someone in the above situation. Everyone talked.

Bonobo

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm torn on this one. But like was said earlier, no winners in that race.

But I will say this, I'm glad I wasn't there, because I can't say what I would have done in his situation.

Latest posts