The "I'll take it" people

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
If I am reading this right, I'm not sure if I agree with you here Jesse. If you post something for sale and decide to keep it that is fine but do it before someone says "I'll take it".

Also, get a spell checker on that iPhone

You dont have to agree with me because you're not selling my stuff.

It's my stuff and I'll sell it when, where and most importantly to whomever I want to. If at anytime I decide my stuff needs to stay my stuff I can keep it just like on eBay or gun broker. If I post something up for sale now I wait before answering any PM's or I'll take it's. That gives me the option to choose who I deal with. If my buddy's or someone down the street wants the item he's gonna get it before the guy that wants to meet half way between here and Kansas just because he posted I'll take it first.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I give buyers 2 business days to have payment on it's way or schedule a meet. I give them one chance to reschedule because I understand weather and general things can really screw up a schedule. After that I'm done and tell them to keep their money. I send one PM a day for two days to buyers that say they'll take it and if they don't reply I sell it to somebody else. I only accept USPS Money Order or cash FTF. I ship USPS with insurance if item is over $100 and always delivery confirmation. If meeting FTF and I'm the seller, I make the buyer drive over halfway to meet. If I'm the buyer, I driver over halfway to meet. If I put something up for sale and change my mind and want to keep it, tough titty. I put it up for sale so I'm going to sell it. I always keep an order to PM's received and go down the line if deals fall through. If the item I sell isn't as advertised, I will try to refund the money. Had this happen because I mislabeled a VFG and the guy was upset. Tried to give him his $10 back and get my grip back but he quit replying to my emails. I tried. I very rarely leave negative feedback. It would take a completely flubbed deal to make me leave negative feedback. Be fair. Be honest. Don't screw anybody.

bsmith918

Well-Known Fanatic
I once had a guy offer me a beat to hell upper that that he later listed for sale for $300 for my brand new $300 dollar .22 handgun and he also wanted me to pay $300 on top of that. I thought he was joking, but he replied with a link showing that the upper was worth $600 new. Granted, he didn't list the upper for sale until after I laughed him. He was a regular and well thought of member at another site.

jtischauser

Here's one for you. I had a real nice $1600 Betetta AL391 Teknys Gold Sporting for sale on a local classifieds section. I also had it for sale on gunbroker at the same time. After several weeks on both listing I get a local buyer interested in my gun. I get several low ball offers from the local buyer and we finally come to an agreeable price. Since I just sold the gun locally I went to remove the gun from gun broker and see that two days prior somebody met my reserve and the gun was already sold. So who's I'll take it do you honor there? I'll let you guys give your input on what you would do before I say what I did.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Fair enough. I kind of look at it like a business, even though it really isn't. If I went to Guthrie and wanted to buy a bunch of plants and said "I'll take those" then you said, sorry I decided to keep them, I wouldn't be too happy. But I will agree that have a right to do that.

I think you are right, this sounds like a "General Discussion" topic

You dont have to agree with me because you're not selling my stuff.

It's my stuff and I'll sell it when, where and most importantly to whomever I want to. If at anytime I decide my stuff needs to stay my stuff I can keep it just like on eBay or gun broker. If I post something up for sale now I wait before answering any PM's or I'll take it's. That gives me the option to choose who I deal with. If my buddy's or someone down the street wants the item he's gonna get it before the guy that wants to meet half way between here and Kansas just because he posted I'll take it first.

Glocktogo

Well-Known Fanatic
Here's one for you. I had a real nice $1600 Betetta AL391 Teknys Gold Sporting for sale on a local classifieds section. I also had it for sale on gunbroker at the same time. After several weeks on both listing I get a local buyer interested in my gun. I get several low ball offers from the local buyer and we finally come to an agreeable price. Since I just sold the gun locally I went to remove the gun from gun broker and see that two days prior somebody met my reserve and the gun was already sold. So who's I'll take it do you honor there? I'll let you guys give your input on what you would do before I say what I did.

I would've told the local lowballer that the gun was his for his agreed to offer, but only after my GB listing closed without meeting the reserve. If he didn't want to chance loosing out, he could agree to the reserve price and I would pull the GB ad. I'd also check my GB listing BEFORE I agreed to a final sale to someone else.

As for the "I'll take it", that means you're going to PM agreeing to pay full price and arrange a meet. If you're going to offer less than asking price, you do not post "I'll take it" in the ad listing. Doing so is bad form and I consider it an attempt to drive away other potential buyers. If you do that to me, I'll offer to let you buy it at full price, immediately edit your posting to say "offer or PM sent", or I'll contact a mod to have your post removed and I'll put you on my ignore list.

If you arrive at a meet and offer less than you said you'd pay, I'll offer to let you pay full price. If I agree to the lowball last minute offer, it will come with the caveat that I'll be posting negative feedback on you for not honoring your word and I'll never do business with you again. The one exception would be if we both agreed that my description of the item for sale didn't match the actual condition of the item, which has never happened (and never will). If you make an honest mistake, don't try to play it off. Do something to make it right and apologize for the miscommunication.

It really comes down to honoring your word. Nothing I offer to buy or sell is worth my integrity.

jtischauser

Fair enough. I kind of look at it like a business, even though it really isn't. If I went to Guthrie and wanted to buy a bunch of plants and said "I'll take those" then you said, sorry I decided to keep them, I wouldn't be too happy. But I will agree that have a right to do that.

That's not the same situation. Our products at Guthrie Greenhouse are produced to sell. We would never decide to keep them. We are a manufacturer/producer.

Let's use a larger scale example. My wife is selling here Mercedes CLK500 for $25k. She plans to get another car once it sells. Say for instance she secures financing for a new lamborgini so she agrees to sell Mercedes to an online buyer. The bank then calls and said she can't afford a lambo so she ain't getting the loan. Is she obligated to sell her $25k car and walk to work? I think not. Situations and feelings change.

People get emotionally attached to a purchase because they really want something. If I find something I really want and think I'm buying it and that changes I get upset but that doesn't mean the seller us at fault because I got my hopes up ahead of time.

I think you are right, this sounds like a "General Discussion" topic

I moved this out of the non firearm forum into the firearm forum because I figured everyone would have an opinion on buying and selling guns in the classifieds. If you guys don't want to see this sorta thing let me know and I'll move it back.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
My wife is selling here Mercedes CLK500 for $25k. She plans to get another car once it sells. Say for instance she secures financing for a new Lamborghini so she agrees to sell Mercedes to an online buyer. The bank then calls and said she can't afford a lambo so she ain't getting the loan. Is she obligated to sell her $25k car and walk to work? I think not. Situations and feelings change.

The underlined part above is the part I don't agree with. If you agree to sell, that's a commitment. I would say to her (in a very sweet and loving voice) "you should have waited on the financing before you agreed to sell your car to someone else." Then I would RUN!
smile.gif

I guess we just see this one different, but that's OK. Everything doesn't have to be right or wrong. Just different views.

pyplynr

Well-Known Fanatic
I sold a rifle to a guy in Alabama not to long after the big oil spill in the gulf. He told me that he was working for a company that was helping the cleanup for the spill so it might be a week before he could get home to send the $$$. I told him "no problem. That I understood how working out of town was, since I did it all the time." Well after a week I wrote him a PM asking if the money was sent. Got a PM back 3 days later saying that they were working 6-12 hour days and it would be another week. I've been there and done that. It's hectic working out of town 6 or 7 days a week. The only day you get off you end up doing laundry and going shopping for the next week and doing the other things that have to get done before the workweek. I told him since I've been in his shoes that I would wait another week. After that week was up he told me that they went to 7-12 hour days, but they were getting 4 days off the next week and he would send it then. After that time period he kept putting it off and saying that he didn't get relieved of his position at work and he wasn't able to get home. After 5 weeks he told me to go ahead and sell the item to someone else and what the difference was from his agreed price and what I got for it that he would pay me the difference for my troubles. I told him to not worry about it that I wasn't going to hold my breath and wait for him to pay the difference in prices. That I'd given up hope of him paying after the first 2 weeks. Since then I have told myself that 1 week is the cutoff unless I have done business with them before.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
whenever anyone of ya'll puts something up for sale i am going to PM ya'll "i will take it for 50% of the sale price" :)

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic
I do take my "I"ll take it" in order. With me it is first come, first serve, unless the first person seems shaddy after I talk to them. I think it is only fair to sell to someone who jumped to buy iy first, but thats just me.

dugby

Active Fanatic
First one with the money gets the deal. I won't agree to "hold" something for someone I don't know.

I will be considerate of other peoples time, but I don't like wasting mine either. Some people just ain't in a hurry or are not sure what they want to do. Happens to Sellers and Buyers both. Things change.

jtischauser

Sounds like the lesson to be learned in this thread is every transaction is going to be different as you would expect when dealing with individual sellers. So buyer and seller beware.

JoeBobOutfitters.com

Well-Known Fanatic
We see that all the time....

I got "into it" with an LEO from Arkansas the other day who started the phone conversation off by "I'm ready to wheel and deal with ya" :rolleyes: .

He claimed he could get the scope ($190 MSRP, $170 our price, which is the manufacturer's retail Minimum Advertised Price) for $145 from Sportman's Guide by the time he used coupon codes, free shipping offers, etc. I told him that was a great deal and he should jump all over it. He then asked me if I could price-match. I told him I couldn't, because we're already a good deal, but could give him a 5% LEO discount, and our Free Hoody offer he qualified for along with the free shipping & free sunshade, and have it shipped the same day. I asked why he didn't just hop on the deal at Sportsman's Guide and his reply was "Well, they said it could be up to 7 weeks to get to me because the drop-ship them and we're currently back-ordered at the manufacturer so it could be a while". I said, "Well, I have 18 on hand of that particular model, so I suppose it's a good thing we stock up for our customer base". He then...replied that he got an offer from another dealer for $6 cheaper than what I was offering. I told him I wasn't in business to negotiate on all items, everyday of the week, so if he wanted to buy from me, we'd love his business, otherwise find the cheapest price and hopefully you'll get good service....

Following a long pause, he then agreed we had a good deal and he'd like the free hoody offer as well as the offer I previously offered.

I don't know why, but sometimes it seems buyers have all the negotiating power in the world. Unless it's a situation where a customer is a big repeat customer, or is ordering BULK at one time, saving shipping costs, etc...then most retailers really don't care about cutting their own throat to move a piece of inventory unless the situation on that item is they want it gone. We're some of the easiest people to get along with, but still get people that try to nickle and dime all day long, when we are always reasonably priced and try to expedite each package into transit if possible.

The same hold true for selling items on a classifieds section. This is part of the reason I really hate selling used stuff in this manner. There are always half a dozen window shoppers who want to try out their 'haggling' to negotiate on an item they realistically won't buy anyways. Whenever I've ever used the "I'll take it" line, that means I've agreed to the contract as presented (The price produced for the item in question) and I want dibs. I suppose not everyone sees it that way...

tacticalj

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I agree that if someone says I'll take it, then the negotiating is over and it sells at whatever the price is at that time. It is frustrating to have people say they'll do something and then not do it or not communicate. I do understand the whole work thing and that most people can't live on forums. I think that a person is entitled to control the sales of their items. I don't agree with not wanting to sell to one person just "because". I personally sell to whoever has the money. I do agree with not saying if you don't think everything is on the up and up though.

Personally if I want something, then I'm buying something, so if I post I'll take it then I am agreeing to pay whatever is listed. If I want to make a reasonable offer then that's what pms are for. I hate lowball and I don't believe in doing that. I don't believe in telling somebody that I can get it here for x cheaper then you have it. If that's the case go buy it there and that's what I will tell ya. I may however research it to make sure my price is fair, i rarely make money on anything anyhow!

I guess it's all about your integrity and how important it is to you as the buyer or the seller. As far as I'm concerned my integrity is worth more to me than any amount of money or feedback.

Badgesig

Founding Member
If I ever post "I'll take it" its done.

Yep, this is us. We have only been stung one time. The guy had 3 posts but because he was military and out of the country (he said) GC told him we would hang onto it for him. Well, his come home date came and went. Only after GC sent him a couple of PMs did he say "Opps, my bad".

However, I gave Jeffsoward a shotgun at Wes' Steel Challenge last year sometime and said "Try it out when you can. If you like it we can deal, if not you can just give it back to me." Never even crossed my mind to worry about it. Even with all the stuff going on in his life right now he got back with me, we made a deal and everyone is happy.

Now when we say we will only deal with established members we mean it.