The "I'll take it" people

jamie_s_72

Well-Known Fanatic
Ever sale anything on the classifieds and have someone post I'll take it and then they decide it's time to negotiate? To me when I say I'll take it, it means I'm accepting the asking price. What gives why do people do this?

bsmith918

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree with you. I also get angry with extreme lowball offers or people that try to trade you their cheap or overvalued piece of crap for a nice or new gun worth several times as much. :angry:

jamie_s_72

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree with you. I also get angry with extreme lowball offers or people that try to trade you their cheap or overvalued piece of crap for a nice or new gun worth several times as much. :angry:

Really, we must deal with the same people

redneck1861

No, I didn't get arrested
I don't understand the lowball offers either. If someone is selling something I want, and their price is too high I normally just move on, I am not the type to try and get something cheaper than what they are asking.

I get mad whenever I am selling something, and I have a cash price. Then people responding that they can get it for cheaper somewhere else. I usually just say "Good, go buy it from there then"

bsmith918

Well-Known Fanatic
It's usually the same people over and over again. I don't even respond to the known offenders on TOS anymore.

bsmith918

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll always listen to realistic offers and try to price items using buds, impact, gunbroker as a gauge for their new value. I take the online price and discount according to wear. I am sometimes amazed at the values some people put on their guns. I also shake my head when someone lives out in the boonies, yet refuses to try to meet halfway. Oh well, its their guns/money and they can do with it as they please.

maxim240sx

Active Fanatic
I feel the same way. Its not my fault some guy went to the local shop and paid $200 more for the gun then the average price on gunbroker. But I also anticipate the lowball offers, so I usually increase my beginning price so it leaves me room to negotiate when the offers people throw at me. Its just a part of gun sales. But I'm also a reasonable person when it comes to selling guns since I'm on GB and other forums everyday so I know what the going rate of the average gun is worth and I don't try to make a bundle off of every gun I sell.

cudajimmy

Well-Known Fanatic
I think "I'll take it" should rule all. If you are already in "negotiations" for something you have posted, and someone posts an I'll take it, that trumps all negotiations. I've lost a few deals where I posted "I'll take it", but the seller was negotiating with someone else. I've had them hit me up after the deal fell through, and I don't even reply. YOU HAD YOUR CHANCE.

ChickenGlock

Well-Known Fanatic
in most cases I will agree with Jimmy on this subject but there are exceptions.

I am more annoyed by people who are trying to squeeze every dollar they could ever get out of something to turn a profit or recoup losses when they overpaid. If I can go by the same thing new at that cost or within 50 bucks I won't even make an offer.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I think people take all the chit chat on pm's too seriously. I told a guy I had decided to keep an item once. He got pissed and asked like because I had put it for sale and hexsaid he would take it that it was his now. He left me negative feedback for deciding to keep my own item. Thatceas the craziest thing I had ever heard. To make it all the more stupid it was a $30 item I was selling for $25. If people had robust their real names and pay to be in the OSA classifieds it would be a much better place.

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic
If I say, "I will take it" I buy it. I did buy a gun that after I said I'll take it, then he told me of a couple of problems that was not mentioned in the ad. I bought it, but was not too happy about it. I lost a deal the other day, because the seller posted the gun and price, I said< I'll take it 3 minutes later. I did not hear from him for about 3 hours, when he let me know that another guy had offered more money for it. He wanted me to up my offer. I said no.
I get sick of the GB has this for $20.00 cheaper then yours. They don't count the transfer fee, shipping, and taxes in the deal. I have priced a few things that I found I was a little too high on. Sometimes I can be wrong. When I do post something, I am always open to offers, if I posted something for too much, then I don't mind someone letting me know. If someone is an ass about it, I won't sell it to them for full price. I have a Winchester 30-06 I have been thinking about selling for awhile, but I am having a hard time finding an honest value on it. I don't want to over price it, but I don't want to give it away at the same time.

foghorn918

Consistently Inconsistent
The worst "I'll Take It" offenders I had were two different guys told me they would take the two different items. I updated posts to show SPF, then neither one ever contacted me again. I pm'd, I emailed many many times to each of them. Never a word back. I pm'd and emailed both that if they changed their minds that was cool, just let me know so I could bump the items again. That's what gets me, people won't even have the courtesy to give me an answer. At that point they are no longer trustworthy and I will not deal with them on any transaction.

At least feedback may help others

jtischauser

The worst "I'll Take It" offenders I had were two different guys told me they would take the two different items. I updated posts to show SPF, then neither one ever contacted me again. I pm'd, I emailed many many times to each of them. Never a word back. I pm'd and emailed both that if they changed their minds that was cool, just let me know so I could bump the items again. That's what gets me, people won't even have the courtesy to give me an answer. At that point they are no longer trustworthy and I will not deal with them on any transaction.

That is actually one of my biggest dislikes. I hate the wait especially when it never ends. I pride myself in being available if I'm buying or selling something. Waiting one day is too long to get or give a response.

Biggsly

Well-Known Fanatic

I agree. I have had this happen. It leaves you wondering what to do. If you sell it, then they are going to call in a few days and be mad at you for not holding it forever. On the same hand, I had a guy say he would buy something, and then that night he called me and said that he had a flat on his car and had to spend the money on a new tire. I have no problem with that. I know things happen. I will work with anyone, but don't just leave me hanging.

JRSherman

Well-Known Fanatic
Honest to God, I can stand all of that pre-FTF stuff. What really miffs me is when you finally set up a FTF with someone, and THEN they want to negotiate a lower price. WTF??????? Or when someone doesn't come prepared with exact change. I didn't stop by the bank teller and ask her for a 50,20,10,5, and 5 ones just in case you weren't prepared man.

I've only had that turn out alright one time, but I still have 4 boxes of 410 shells that I'm going to hold on to just in case I ever FTF with that guy again, just as I promised.

Chris_Andersen

Certified
One of the first PM's I got on the welder I recently sold on the classifieds was an I'll take it. Then the guy tells me he will come down from Tulsa after the snow clears, which was fine with me. EXCEPT when I PM him a week later about coming down he says he definately wants it "pending inspection" and it will probably be at least another week or so before he can get loose. I am in sales, and that sort of stuff ruins your opportunities to sell to real buyers. Not to mention, I am sure it is done occasionally to try and get the item cheaper because all of the good buyers dry up. Frustrating and unfortunate. Fortuntately I sold the thing to another guy a couple of days later.

jtischauser

One of the first PM's I got on the welder I recently sold on the classifieds was an I'll take it. Then the guy tells me he will come down from Tulsa after the snow clears, which was fine with me. EXCEPT when I PM him a week later about coming down he says he definately wants it "pending inspection" and it will probably be at least another week or so before he can get loose. I am in sales, and that sort of stuff ruins your opportunities to sell to real buyers. Not to mention, I am sure it is done occasionally to try and get the item cheaper because all of the good buyers dry up. Frustrating and unfortunate. Fortuntately I sold the thing to another guy a couple of days later.

What's even worse is when your buddy does this and low balls you on top of it.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I think people take all the chit chat on pm's too seriously. I told a guy I had decided to keep an item once. He got pissed and asked like because I had put it for sale and hexsaid he would take it that it was his now. He left me negative feedback for deciding to keep my own item. Thatceas the craziest thing I had ever heard. To make it all the more stupid it was a $30 item I was selling for $25. If people had robust their real names and pay to be in the OSA classifieds it would be a much better place.

If I am reading this right, I'm not sure if I agree with you here Jesse. If you post something for sale and decide to keep it that is fine but do it before someone says "I'll take it".

Also, get a spell checker on that iPhone

Latest posts