The best TEOTWAWKI 22LR rifle is....?

Tigerstripe

Well-Known Fanatic
there is a drop in stock for the 10/22 to give it the M1 carbine look.

that might be tacticool looking.

LiveFreeorDie

Well-Known Fanatic
Lafayette- the "practically" ancient .22 I said needed replacing IS an old Glenfield/Marlin 60. It's been shot so many times that whatever the silver coated plastic looking internals (especially the feed ramp) are made of are worn so badly that even when spotlessly cleaned will not feed and eject reliably. I've liked my Model 60 and it will still be around the house.

Regarding my most recent post, I went to my supplier to inquire about an AAC Element and was talked into a Liberty Essence instead. I think I was also talked into a S&W 15/22 instead of the Ruger. The point made to me that training with the S&W in the AR platform will be infinitely more valuable when transitioning to my other AR's in 5.56 and 300BLK. The Nikon Prostaff Rimfire is looking like the way to go on optics.

And, for those who inquired, the S&W 15/22 was redesigned from the ground up and is designed such that uppers and lowers in other calibers are NOT interchangeable with this weapon. With the polymer lower, the 15/22 is very, very light.

LiveFreeorDie

Well-Known Fanatic
I won't presume that anyone is interested, but since I started the question, I think it's only decent to post the result of my decision making process, since many of you read and/or replied to the question--so,

As the last post suggested, I finally went with the S&W M&P 15/22 and bought a Liberty Essence suppressor (....waiting, waiting, as the BATFE is Fast and Furiously processing my application paperwork. Funny how they waste NO time cashing my check!). It appears to be a quality built .22, is reputed to be very accurate and dependable, and the barrel is already threaded for the suppressor. Perhaps the best argument for it is that it has exactly the same functionality as "full sized" AR's, so training and transition will be superior to that of different platforms.

For those in the Upstate, I cannot say enough good things about Dexter at Freedom. He literally spent hours with me working on setting it up before I left the shop, fitting a Magpul AFG, the right scope mount, and other accessories so that the gun was 100% ready to go. For anyone who has not seen an M&P 15/22 or heard one fired suppressed, there is a nice video at Liberty Suppressors. Thanks again to all who took the time to respond.

Enjay

Well-Known Fanatic
Congratulations on your new rifle, it sure looks like a nice one :)
I'll have to make sure my daughter doesn't see it or she'll add another to her already long list LOL

Latest posts