The best self defense ammo in the WORLD!

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
I know it's subjective and depends on the caliber. I just bought a 1911 that I'm in love with and will be carrying around. I'm just curious what everyone uses as defense ammo and thier reasons for doing so.

I've always used the Hornady Critical or duty ammo. I ran across the G2 Research RIP ammo and thinking about getting some despite the price...

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Adam Striegel said:
I know it's subjective and depends on the caliber. I just bought a 1911 that I'm in love with and will be carrying around. I'm just curious what everyone uses as defense ammo and thier reasons for doing so.
In my 1911 I have 230gr Winchester PDX-1 because that's what Wal-Mart had that day. In my M&P harem I have Winchester Ranger SXT 147gr because sgammo had a bunch of .gov contract overrun stuff for a good price.

I used to spend a lot of time researching different defense ammo, and I reached the conclusion that all the major manufacturers (Winchester, Hornady, Speer, Federal, etc) have figured out how to make defensive ammo that works well. I don't spend any time fretting about which brand is best anymore.

I ran across the G2 Research RIP ammo and thinking about getting some despite the price...
No. Stop. Bad.

E: 230gr in 45 because I like how 230gr 45 shoots more than lighter bullets. 147gr in 9mm for similar reasons, but also because I've seen that heavy-for-caliber bullets lose less velocity out of short barrels.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
The R.I.P. ammo looks wicked, but with the wild style bullet and the super gay name, it just seems like it's more of a marketing tool for the tactical ninja crowd.
I'm really kind of surprised it isn't painted zombie green.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
Matt Rigsby said:
The R.I.P. ammo looks wicked, but with the wild style bullet and the super gay name, it just seems like it's more of a marketing tool for the tactical ninja crowd.
People who have done actual ballistics gel tests with it have found it to be a total shitshow.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
dr poopgiggle said:
People who have done actual ballistics gel tests with it have found it to be a total shitshow.
So you're saying it has everything a mall ninja needs.
Stupid design with lots of sharp edges, inferior materials, a "scary" name, and poor performance.
Awesome, I'll take a case.

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
What started the zombie craze anyway? Was it the walking dead series?

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Any have any experience with the Federal Guard Dog rounds?

The YouTube videos I watched made them look good.

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Also, any in the metro sell Liberty Civil Defense in. 45acp?

Thats another type I want to play with and see how it shoots. Always looking for excuses to shoot jugs full of water. Heh

Fyrtwuck

Well-Known Fanatic
For carry, I use pretty much any quality manufactured factory ammo. Everything else I reload myself.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I ask what was good defense ammo for a 45 to a couple of my older shooting buddies and was told quickly that it's a 45! ANYTHING that goes boom should be fine lol not saying one bullet is better than the other but many feel to plain old ball ammo back in the day. Later,

Kirk

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I got some Hornady American Gunner from Academy a couple weeks ago. Runs fine.

RigPig

Well-Known Fanatic
In my G19 I like the 124gr Hornady Critical Duty and in my M&P40 I carry 180gr Speer Gold Dot. When it comes to self defense ammo, I don't want to chance the snake oil rounds. They cost much more and deliver poor performance, generally. I'll stick to known good loads. There's no reason to play around with carry ammo.

Latest posts