The Bank is Going to Hate us...

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
So, the wife's car has had it, we are tired of putting money into it. The heater core went out, 7 hours labor to fix... They would have to take the whole dash out. NEVER will own a Chrysler again. Oil light comes on often, check engine light stays on... Who the F puts the battery in the tire well?

We have been saving ones and change for 3 years, I have a bit more change saved. So, we have a little over 30#s of rolled change, and enough ones to make a whole club of strippers excited. :D So the poor teller that gets us has to count a LOT of ones and rolled change.

I am a more Dave Ramsey pay cash guy for my car, but going to finance this one to make the wife happy. Just rambling a bit, been a stressful couple of weeks trying to find something she likes that is in our budget. Screw it, we raised the debt ceiling on this one. :cool:

2019 Ford Escape with 26K miles on it.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
So, the wife's car has had it, we are tired of putting money into it. The heater core went out, 7 hours labor to fix... They would have to take the whole dash out. NEVER will own a Chrysler again. Oil light comes on often, check engine light stays on... Who the F puts the battery in the tire well?

We have been saving ones and change for 3 years, I have a bit more change saved. So, we have a little over 30#s of rolled change, and enough ones to make a whole club of strippers excited. :D So the poor teller that gets us has to count a LOT of ones and rolled change.

I am a more Dave Ramsey pay cash guy for my car, but going to finance this one to make the wife happy. Just rambling a bit, been a stressful couple of weeks trying to find something she likes that is in our budget. Screw it, we raised the debt ceiling on this one. :cool:

2019 Ford Escape with 26K miles on it.
Great job sir. I totaled my car out a few weeks ago. The prices are so awful around where I live it is unbelievable. I'm with Dave Ramsey too, but I'm going to have to finance the next one too. I'm getting older, and this may be the last one I buy. I hate car shopping so much I'd rather have a root canal!

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Mine are both 10+ years old now and it's coming tine to do it again. Boy, do I HATE again. And now is the worst time. Sucks!
Agreed. I bought a 2005 Grand Marquis in 2015, I absolutely loved the thing. That was the absolute best car I've ever owned. I really miss it, and now trying to replace it is going to drive me to drink, and I haven't done that for a year and a half! The search continues.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
The last car I bought from the dealer I was going to use cash & expected a cash discount. o_O
The sales girl said: No sir we don't like it when you pay cash, we can't bend you over the Finance it forever log.
No discount until I said I was leaving & going to their competition, LOL.

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Actually, they were very nice. They laughed with us as we were shoving all that change through a 8"x3" hole at the window. The teller's fellow workers came by and looked, laughed at bit at her getting the crazy change people. Took about 15 mins. Wife drove her Valentines Day present home.

Wait until I take the 60 pounds or so of pennies I have! My bank has one of those change counting things, no fee's if you have an account.

Shadetree

Fanatic
Being a Dave Ramsey follower too, I had a bunch of quarters rolled up, enough to fill a gun case and the teller looked at me quite funny when I laid the case up on her counter! They counted it that day but later on got one of those 'counting machines' and that suits me.

dennishoddy

When my FIL passed away a couple years ago, we were inventorying the house before it sold, finding shoe box after shoe box of loose change. Apparently, he dumped his pockets daily of loose change for many years.
There was enough that I had to use a two-wheeler to roll the change into the bank so they could count in with one of the machines. We got in there at 1pm, and the count wasn't finished until the next business day, after a stop when the bank closed for the night. Over 20 grand in loose change.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm still driving a '98 F-150 , ( bought it new ) and been looking at new trucks for the last year. I can afford to buy anything on the market, but still haven't found a new truck I want to own. Why ? They don't make a truck that has what I want..if they offer a model I want, dealers tell me they don't have any in stock / can't get them. Every dealer in my area has an assortment of crew-cab trucks on their lots..with a short bed. No one has what used to be called an extended cab model..with a 6.5' bed. If you can find one, it is a 4X4..haven't found a 2wd one. Had a 4x4 once ( bought a new '85 CJ-7) kept if until I bought my F-150. I actually needed to use the 4 wheel drive exactly 1 X..(got stuck in some mud) in all the yrs I owned it. Decided maybe I should just order what I want..not like I need it right now. Became even more frustrated. Used to be able to order options on a new vehicle separately.. not anymore.
Want a certain motor in your new truck ?.. it's only available in a 4X4 truck. Want trailer tow pkg ? only available on certain "option pkgs" which include a bunch of unwanted / unneeded options to drive up the price. Same with cruise control..can't order it..it's part of an "option pkg" that includes a bunch of unwanted electronic accessories. Lastly....try and buy / or order a truck with a manual transmission (I still like / prefer to shift for myself) Few brands / models that offer one..and around my area, it'd be a special order truck. Even went to a Toyota dealer..a little better, but have to get a 4X4 Tacoma to get a manual trans..

My '98 F150 is an ext. cab, manual trans (5 speed), with trailer pkg, ( HD radiator /bigger brakes & wheels/ receiver hitch & .3.55 axle ratio (w/ ltd. slip )
Recently turned over 77K miles .. but after 25yrs. the body's starting to rust..despite my care. Runs & drives great, but the mileage isn't great..
usually around 16 mpg, not that good for a 4.2L v-6..with around 200h.p. " I shoulda got a V-8"

Need to talk to a Nissan dealer, see what they have to offer..not wanting to go foreign, but most new vehicles are "world" vehicles anyway.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm still driving a '98 F-150 , ( bought it new ) and been looking at new trucks for the last year. I can afford to buy anything on the market, but still haven't found a new truck I want to own. Why ? They don't make a truck that has what I want..if they offer a model I want, dealers tell me they don't have any in stock / can't get them. Every dealer in my area has an assortment of crew-cab trucks on their lots..with a short bed. No one has what used to be called an extended cab model..with a 6.5' bed. If you can find one, it is a 4X4..haven't found a 2wd one. Had a 4x4 once ( bought a new '85 CJ-7) kept if until I bought my F-150. I actually needed to use the 4 wheel drive exactly 1 X..(got stuck in some mud) in all the yrs I owned it. Decided maybe I should just order what I want..not like I need it right now. Became even more frustrated. Used to be able to order options on a new vehicle separately.. not anymore.
Want a certain motor in your new truck ?.. it's only available in a 4X4 truck. Want trailer tow pkg ? only available on certain "option pkgs" which include a bunch of unwanted / unneeded options to drive up the price. Same with cruise control..can't order it..it's part of an "option pkg" that includes a bunch of unwanted electronic accessories. Lastly....try and buy / or order a truck with a manual transmission (I still like / prefer to shift for myself) Few brands / models that offer one..and around my area, it'd be a special order truck. Even went to a Toyota dealer..a little better, but have to get a 4X4 Tacoma to get a manual trans..

My '98 F150 is an ext. cab, manual trans (5 speed), with trailer pkg, ( HD radiator /bigger brakes & wheels/ receiver hitch & .3.55 axle ratio (w/ ltd. slip )
Recently turned over 77K miles .. but after 25yrs. the body's starting to rust..despite my care. Runs & drives great, but the mileage isn't great..
usually around 16 mpg, not that good for a 4.2L v-6..with around 200h.p. " I shoulda got a V-8"

Need to talk to a Nissan dealer, see what they have to offer..not wanting to go foreign, but most new vehicles are "world" vehicles anyway.
A really lousy time to look for ANY vehicle. I spent 3weeks trying to find a used car to replace my 05 Grand Marquis that I totaled out when I hit black ice. I spent hours on the computer trying to find something to replace it with. Actually did the research this time, and ended up with a real nice 2011 Honda Accord Cross something??? It's a Honda Accord with a hatchback. Real nice car, and I like it so far. Prices are awful, and the dealers do not want to deal. I went to my c/u for a loan, got it pre approved, and told them at the time I was going to pay it of asap. They don't know that I have the money to do it when I make the first payment. I took it out of my retirement fund. I applied for a loan because I didn't know how much I'd need, and I wanted to get the car, and be done with it. I hate car shopping. I invariably leads to arguments, and discord. Glad It's done.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
"World Vehicles". Thats a good way to put it. None are USA made. Maybe just assembled if you're lucky. Even Harly Davidson capitulated and came out with an eclectic motorcycle. If you really what to call that POS a motorcycle. Were Toast.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I read a pop-up article online a week or so ago about the 10 cars with the most American- made parts.
The vehicles with the highest % of American -made parts was a Lincoln Corsair... with 76% of it's parts made in the USA.
What was surprising is that 3 or 4 of the top 10 models were Teslas..The Corvette was up around 3rd or 4th on the list with 74%

Just did a google search, to see if I could find the same article, ( couldn't ) did find slightly different results in the same search,
but all included the vehicles I mentioned .

Fred_G

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Used vehicles are crazy high, and not much selection. We got a 2019 Ford Escape with under 30K miles on it. Not cheap, but I won't have to worry about the wife breaking down for a while. Heated seats, right and left side climate control, I feel like Jed Clampett. Wheee Doggies! image_2023-02-21_223221845.png

dennishoddy

We require a tow vehicle since we pull a fifth wheel that weighs a tad over 14,000 lbs 6-7 months out of the year.
Bought a new F-250 in 2020 with the local dealer saying they couldn't come off the MSRP a dime, so I told him that we need to build a vehicle on paper with the options I wanted.
7.3 liter gasser running 430hp with 4:30 gears in the front and rear end. Leather, and all the bells and whistles.
When getting a price from him, I took the document and emailed it to every Ford Dealership in the 4 states surrounding Oklahoma, to start a bidding war. When finally getting almost $5000 off the MSRP, I went back to my dealer and showed him the lowest bid. He accepted it immediately saying he would match it.
No way. You have to beat the low bid, not match it, so he knocked off another $500 without batting an eye.
Deal made, and driving it now.