The 1911 Trap....

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
I have been accused of "overthinking" things, so please forgive me, but here it goes.

I have what I would call a nice 1911, for my purposes. If you haven't seen it in my other threads it a Colt 1991 Commander. I primarily wanted one to carry occasionally, take deer hunting as a secondary, shoot in matches every once in a while, and just be a "working" pistol. The reason I call it a "1911 Trap" is that, like with many things that re easy to customize, there is a draw to try and go crazy changing stuff out to make the gun "better". It seems to me that there is a fine line between some reasonable changes or custom work, and when you start changing it just to change it. I didn't want to bug a gunsmith with "what do you suggest" type phone calls, and having any work done will probably not happen till after the first of the year.

Here is what I think would be practical to change on my 1911. (remember this gun was a gift, so please don't say sell it and buy one that already has the features you want...)

It has a GI style beaver tail, which tends to bite when carrying IWB and isn't the most comfortable in the web of my hand. So I would like to put on a beaver tail, and probably one with a memory pad. I haven't had an issue of not depressing the grip safety, but it seems like a good idea as an ounce of prevention.

Ambi safety. I like the idea of having an ambi safety, so long as the lever on the off side of the gun is fairly low profile.

Maybe swap out the sights. Mine aren't bad, but could be better.

Possibly swap the trigger for a medium or short one, depending on what I decide after shooting it for the next several months.

Undercut the trigger guard. Maybe have it stippled or checkered, but that's a big chunk of $$$.

Bobtail the frame, I like the way it looks, and it seems functional as well for reducing printing, but would be an optional thing based on money.

Obviously after having this work done, the gun would need to be re parked or finished in some way.

So, that is what I would like to do, what I need is help narrowing down what is reasonable, and maybe what work could/should be done to promote reliability. I say "promote" because this gun has been very reliable so far. 1 malfunction with the last round from a sub par magazine. Again, this is also not work I plan to do soon, it would be with a Christmas bonus, or tax return. Until then I plan to spend as much as I can on ammo, nice mags and just running the gun.

45recoil

likes to party
I had plans on buying that same kind of gun for my carry but when it was time to lay down the money i couldnt afford it.

If it were me, grip safety and sights would be the only thing id change on it.

The ambi, stipple/checkering, trigger, bobbed, undercut etc etc are nice, no doubt about it, but really for me its just dumping money in and not necessarily making it reliable.

Just one opinion.

Someone may chime in that carries a 1911 and have a better persepective of "upgrades"

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Jared Carpenter said:
I had plans on buying that same kind of gun for my carry but when it was time to lay down the money i couldnt afford it.

If it were me, grip safety and sights would be the only thing id change on it.

The ambi, stipple/checkering, trigger, bobbed, undercut etc etc are nice, no doubt about it, but really for me its just dumping money in and not necessarily making it reliable.

Just one opinion.

Someone may chime in that carries a 1911 and have a better persepective of "upgrades"
Yeah, those two are kind of top of my list as well, but the sights can be crazy expensive if they have to be re cut.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I carry a 1911. I went overboard with the modifications but that was a choice. Not because I "needed" to.

The ONLY thing you HAVE to do is make sure its reliable. That can be done with a small safety, a GI hammer or any other stock part. If its reliable that's the only mod you need.

That being said, a bigger grip safety was something I felt I needed. There was more than one occasion that my initial grip failed to disengage the safety. Not cool.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I think I have decided what I want, after handling a few.

Beavertail, undercut, medium trigger, and then a re-finish. The optional things would be the magwell and sights, because the sights on it aren't bad and the ones I want are a lot of money. Kinda the same with the magwell, I would love a new one, but seems like that would be something I could add later myself.

So, without the magwell and sights, what kind of ballpark do you think I would be in?

Parts: Ed Brown Beavertail, $37 http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...y-groove-beavertail-grip-safety-prod1356.aspx
Cylinder and slide medium trigger, $27 http://www.brownells.com/handgun-pa...y-groove-beavertail-grip-safety-prod1356.aspx

So, only about $70 for parts, without sights. So it's just the labor to fit those two parts, plus the labor for the undercut, and then the refinish. Probably a Cerakote two tone finish.

Best guesses on cost?

With sights, I like the Novaks, and I would want plain black rear, fiber optic front. So, about $75, if i have Novak install them (dovetailing and milling the front and back) it's $115. Guess I will just have to see if a local gunsmith could do it cheaper.

Y

yousa

If you carry and use a Wilson "ducktail" sort of upswept gripsafety a little bit, you'll never be without one again. Ditto a speed lever on the thumb safety. You can stipple it yourself, and just use Gunkote. neither parkerizing nor blueing last long on the raised surfaces of checkering or stippling, if you use the gun much. Any serious use gun needs luminous night sights. A trigger stop will help your high speed accuracy. A 1 step heavier recoil spring (and matching firing pin spring) will help with the relability(unless you use light loads).

Latest posts