teaching conceal carry/ firearm defense classes

tbird63b

Well-Known Fanatic
When I get back from the Stan. I am thinking about getting certified to become a conceal carry/ personal defense instructor. Does anyone know what website to go to to get info on the legal aspect? Do I have to take NRA courses??

Prdator

Keepers Concealment
When I get back from the Stan. I am thinking about getting certified to become a conceal carry/ personal defense instructor. Does anyone know what website to go to to get info on the legal aspect? Do I have to take NRA courses??

Thanks for your Service!!

You will have to have either the NRA or a class like this (http://www.boomershooter.com/forums/index.php?/topic/4109-rangemster-three-day-firearms-instructor-class-oct-28-30-at-the-okc-gun-club/) I HIGHLY recommend the Givens class!!!!!!! if you can pass this class you have really done something.
As for the NRA handgun class, well if my Lab had thumbs he could pass it!!

A few things you will want to consider though, were will you teach the class room potion and were will you do the range portion? Have that figured out if you really want to make money on this.

If you need help when you get back let me know.

Rodshoot

Well-Known Fanatic
You will have to have either the NRA or a class like this (http://www.boomersho...e-okc-gun-club/) I HIGHLY recommend the Givens class!!!!!!! if you can pass this class you have really done something.
As for the NRA handgun class, well if my Lab had thumbs he could pass it!!

And my experience with the Givens course is that it is largely irrelevant to the skills needed for teaching the OK CHL class.
I appreciate your enthusiasm for the macho shooting class, but I don't appreciate your pointless bashing of the NRA instructor classes, which emphasizes learning how to teach basics to beginners.

Remember the OK required curriculum is safety, laws, and firng at targets at 5 and 7 yards. The targets are not scored.
Most of the CHL students are inept, and many arrive with new or borrowed guns they have never fired before.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
And my experience with the Givens course is that it is largely irrelevant to the skills needed for teaching the OK CHL class.
I appreciate your enthusiasm for the macho shooting class, but I don't appreciate your pointless bashing of the NRA instructor classes, which emphasizes learning how to teach basics to beginners.

Remember the OK required curriculum is safety, laws, and firng at targets at 5 and 7 yards. The targets are not scored.
Most of the CHL students are inept, and many arrive with new or borrowed guns they have never fired before.

That's a good point about the CHL classes. They are pretty much useless. I would love to see that class contain just a little more pistol instruction.

Prdator

Keepers Concealment

Rod,
Man I'm sorry that you take offense to my dislike of the NRA Instructor class, Im judging it on just two classes I was in, I'm sure there are much better ones out there.

Which of the Givens Instructor classes were you in?

Im sure you had a much better NRA class than I did. The Pistol instructor class (NRA) that I was in did nothing for teaching me how to teach. The Givens class does teach how to teach and helps build those skills of teaching the Basics to Beginners. I can't see how that is a bad thing, having and instructor that can shoot well should produce a better class for the student.
People always say, yea the SDA class is worthless, BUT it's the most important class the students will get as it's typically the ONLY class they get!! So having the ability to given the student more than the sate requirement is a Great thing IHMO.

The sda class is not a training class, it is a legal hurdle.
If I were nuts enough to want to teach a sda class, I would teach only the required curriculum, and not one nugget more.

Jefpainthorse

Fill in the Blank
The sda class is not a training class, it is a legal hurdle.
If I were nuts enough to want to teach a sda class, I would teach only the required curriculum, and not one nugget more.

MC hit it on the head.....The biggest danger in "teaching" any state mandated class is "dispensing" an opinion that will be taken as fact.

I went through an NRA based (the instructor was approved and NRA materials were used) but that state had a little higher standard for the shooting portion than we see in OK. We had to shoot single shots, double and triple tap strings and a couple of low light strings of fire- but it was still only a 50 round course of fire. That state also required a refresher course for renewal.(2 years)

If I was a SDA instructor, I'd think of the SDA as a "price leader" and hope a market for secondary instruction would be were the money is made (as far as marketing goes). As a student, one becomes painfully aware that the SDA is not enough...as far as training goes.

tbird63b

Well-Known Fanatic
I mainly just want to teach conceal carry to members of the Guard, and also for a little bit of extra money. I can see where the givens course would be nice, but now that I think about it. That really isn't something that would be needed just to teach CCL classes. I've been a martial arts instructor for 11 years. And been an NCO, and taught countless classes about marksmanship, and other things. So i really think all i'm really wanting is to get the minimum requirements to be a certified instructor.

gotcha.

Emphasize to your students that they know jack and that they need to take further training, not just pop off a few at the gun range occasionally.

Latest posts