Taxidermy Nightmare!

westforkarmory

Fanatic
This past Winter while hunting in West Texas I shot my first fox. He was so pretty (leave me alone I am a girl and I can say he was pretty). He was even considered large for Texas according to my Taxidermist. I had used this guy before for a bobcat mount for my husband as well as his buck from the previous season. We dropped off my fox in early December and was told April it would be ready since I wanted a full body mount. Then on the last day of deer season my husband shoots a huge 10 point with a 22 inch neck at a place he has hunted his entire lift, public property. So we take the buck in to the same guy. He tells us on the deer about November since it was so late in the season. In May I still had not heard from the Taxidermist.... We kept calling but no call back. Then June... then yesterday my husband goes there while I am at work. I had already told him that something happened to my fox and he didn’t want to tell me.
SURE ENOUGH!!! The guys Freezer system went out! MY FOX WAS RUINED! AS WELL AS MY HUSBANDS BUCK!!
Needless to say not happy. Thank god I wasn’t there, I would have had him mounted to my wall!!

So long story short. The Taxidermist has not told any of his customers and is trying to buy replacement hides for everyone! INCLUDING MY FOX AND HIS BUCK! The guy was never going to call us and tell us anything had happened!!! Thankfully the guy did give us our money back. But I am still so fn pissed. He wasnt going to tell us if my husband hadn't gone up there!

Now I feel obligated to call the cops on this guy and report him for fraud! I mean, yes it was only a fox and a buck... but what if anyone in there has like something crazy like a mountain lion or hell, a lion?! I would sue his a$$ so fast!

I still think I might call the cops... or the game warden...... or someone lol. I just honestly wouldn’t know who to call. Ghost busters maybe?

Attachments

• 154665_712953069515_34403877_38938001_3116463_n.jpg
    154665_712953069515_34403877_38938001_3116463_n.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 49
  • 34832_1765085691483_1369374789_31920143_3520994_n.jpg
    34832_1765085691483_1369374789_31920143_3520994_n.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 50

dennishoddy

Bad situation for sure. But he was still good for giving you a refund.
My first two mounts took over a year to get back, and honestly, I'd almost forgot about them.

As I understand it, there are only a few tanneries open in the US because of the EPA regs for disposal of the chemicals.
Unless a taxidermist tans their own, they are at the mercy of the gubberment.

I think the taxidermist should have called everybody, and informed them of the problem. Had they done that, I'm betting we would not see this post.

westforkarmory

Fanatic
If he had just called I would have been mad but not to the extent I am now. Right now I am watching my husband mount the rack to a plaque mount.... just sad. Now the other deer will be lonely on the wall

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
The buck I wouldn't even think twice about. A good taxidermist should have acces to a source for capes, even large capes. A friend of mine that does taxidermy often gets capes from Missouri for his customers that need large capes that have been ruined for whatever reason (it's never been his freezer that went out). As for the fox, that sucks. Each one is different and unique enough that it may not look like the "pretty one" you were able to take. Sounds like your guy is trying to make it as right as he can. Obviously he didn't want his freezer to go out. And he wishes that he could go back and prevent it. I'm sure that cost him a lot of money.

westforkarmory

Fanatic
The buck I wouldn't even think twice about. A good taxidermist should have acces to a source for capes, even large capes. A friend of mine that does taxidermy often gets capes from Missouri for his customers that need large capes that have been ruined for whatever reason (it's never been his freezer that went out). As for the fox, that sucks. Each one is different and unique enough that it may not look like the "pretty one" you were able to take. Sounds like your guy is trying to make it as right as he can. Obviously he didn't want his freezer to go out. And he wishes that he could go back and prevent it. I'm sure that cost him a lot of money.

Your friend that can get large capes from Missouri... Do you think you could find out how much a large one would cost??? :) I would be very very interested in buying one!!

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
I just talked to him, he said he could provide a cape with a 20-21" neck for no extra charge if you let him do the mount. Bigger than that and he may have to charge a little extra. I forgot to ask him what he's getting these days but I think it's $275. He is really good. Wins awards all over the place for his mounts.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
freezers are know to break down, especially on Friday afternoons at 5:00 pm.

I have a good taxidermist from hell story which I will share with you guys at a later date.

Latest posts