Taurus to buy Freedom Group

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
(maybe)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-01-17/gun-ban-no-obstacle-to-taurus-bid-for-freedom-corporate-brazil.html
Brazilian gunmaker Forjas Taurus SA (FJTA4) is emerging as a likely bidder for Freedom Group Inc. as analysts bet that proposed U.S. gun controls will fail to deter demand in the world’s largest consumer firearms market.

Taurus, the acquirer of U.S. revolver maker Heritage Manufacturing Inc. last year, would be a good suitor for all or part of Freedom Group, according to brokerage Coinvalores and Wedbush Morgan Securities. Taurus, which said in November that it’s “analyzing acquisition opportunities” for 2013, declined to comment on speculation of a bid.
so can we please shut up about George Soros now kthx

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
StealthESW said:
Did people think George Soros had some ownership in Freedom Group? :nono:
Freedom Group is owned by Cerberus, who's currently trying to sell it.

The conspiracy theory was that George Soros, the owner of Cerberus (except not really), was planning on running all these gun companies into the ground because...I forget, but the theory probably involved the UN, the New World Order, and chemtrails.

I think people just couldn't handle seeing Remington's QC go so far downhill so they invented a conspiracy theory to explain it.

StealthESW

Well-Known Fanatic
poopgiggle said:
Freedom Group is owned by Cerberus, who's currently trying to sell it.

The conspiracy theory was that George Soros, the owner of Cerberus (except not really), was planning on running all these gun companies into the ground because...I forget, but the theory probably involved the UN, the New World Order, and chemtrails.
People thought it was an attempt to close down manufacturers, and it was all bogus.

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
Mitch Gibson said:
What an embarrassment. I wonder if boxes of ammo will go down to $3.99 and only work 40% of the time.
So with this statement I assume you have no problem standing in front of a Taurus revolver that has already gone bang 3 times?

You have nothing good to contribute so shut up.

steak

Well-Known Fanatic
Far from a butthurt Taurus owner. Blanket statements like that are retarded and serve no purpose. It is at least a company stepping up to keep all these others from just going out of business. Lets face it someone was going to buy it. Having a firearms company that is already in business buy it is probably a good thing. Plus Taurus has a long history of taking other designs for guns and recreating them at a cost that most can afford while still maintaining a reliable level of quality. They did this with the Beretta 92 and the Smith & Wesson Revolvers and have been quite successful. We just have to remind them that if we want a Taurus price we will buy a Taurus and expect some parts to be cheaper made and maybe not so "polished" and if we buy a Remington we expect to pay a Remington price and Remington quality.

drmitchgibson

The white Morgan Freeman
I wonder how profitable they are. Since it's privately owned, they typically only release revenue figures and keep expenditures private. I wouldn't be surprised if the margin wasn't high enough, and that's the reason for the sale. Maybe their margin is good, or even outstanding, but their organic growth rate is too low, or non-existent.

Several years ago we were looking at selling off the appliances business because it was only bringing in $500M per year. The margin was good. <---- Do you see that? That's not actually a problem, only making $500M from one of your businesses, and with a good margin.

Wall Street problems are fake problems.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Of course they didn't want to dump freedom group during the good times of record profits over the past 4 years. Hypocritical!

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Do you think that right now they aren't making record profits? And Mr. Steak....the 3.98 and the 40% was what most think of as humor....and last I checked ALWAYS has a place on Boomers, might tuck that away for the future.

Brandi

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm no fan of Taurus or their guns so I really hope someone else buys Freedom but if it means these companies will stay afloat Taurus is better than nothing.

kdf9511

Well-Known Fanatic
I have shot Taurus pistols in the past and just recently bought a Taurus .380 as a carry weapon. I have never had any issues with any of thier guns. If they do buy Freedom Group I just hope that they at a minimum maintain the quality of products currently being produced and keep as much production as possible in the United States.

HackerF15E

Well-Known Fanatic
My only beef is that Taurus just isn't an American company.

I'd rather have them owned on our own shores, but I'd also have them operating rather than out of business.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I saw a story on channel 5 news out of OKC last night that one of our State legislators is trying to entice Remington to move to OK since they are currently in NY where their products are now illegal. The story was brief but said they were offering no property taxes for 5 years and other tax benefits if they came to OK. I say bring it on!

Latest posts