Target Transitions

Scott_S

Well-Known Fanatic
Is a normal transition time between targets about a tenth over your shot to shot split on the same target?

If it's faster what are some transition drills I can work on to improve?

Airic

I shoot.
Depends on the difficulty of the targets and space between them but optimum is to have transitions and splits equal.

Try this drill: Put three targets edge to edge. Draw and shoot two alphas on each at a comfortable "match" pace. Use the time on the timer as your par time for this drill and set that par time in your timer.

Space the targets out an equal distance, I use half rhe width of a target. Run the three targets again under the new par time 5-10 times. Then space them out again and run it again. Keep doing this until you cannot stay under the par time and shoot alphas.

Then do it strong hand, then weak hand. Record your results. Works equally well in drydire or live fire.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I don't worry about splits I always think about transitions. If your sights are there you splits will be were the should be.

For instance On four paper targets at say 15 yards with 1-3 yards in between targets your cadence should sound like 8 shots equally spaced out. Your splits will match your transitions. The farther away the array the faster your transitions will be compared to your splits. On closer targets your splits will tend to be faster than your transitions.

Chambers

actual GM
Most of the shooting time is "between the targets" so learning how to use recoil to drive the gun from target to target is key for picking up speed.

Like JT mentioned one of the best ways to do it is to shoot at a cadence. That is, to make your transitions the same as your splits. If the shots in an array are all about the same difficulty, I will always shoot at a cadence. The more you shoot the faster your cadence will become.

Here's a quick example, the first array on this stage in particular.

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
Most of the shooting time is "between the targets" so learning how to use recoil to drive the gun from target to target is key for picking up speed.

Like JT mentioned one of the best ways to do it is to shoot at a cadence. That is, to make your transitions the same as your splits. If the shots in an array are all about the same difficulty, I will always shoot at a cadence. The more you shoot the faster your cadence will become.

Here's a quick example, the first array on this stage in particular.

Man that's some fast shooting...

I believe I read somewhere when doing the transitions, the twisting movement should happen at the knees, and not so much at the waist. Asking the semi-pros, what is your take, use your knees, waist or a little of both?

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
I believe I read somewhere when doing the transitions, the twisting movement should happen at the knees, and not so much at the waist. Asking the semi-pros, what is your take, use your knees, waist or a little of both?

Ok then, I'm asking anyone else that might be able offer some advice the question at hand, either the semi-pros have left the building, don't know who they are, or are are afraid offering me any more advice migth start landing them in second place. :you: (<-- I don't know what that guys doing, but it looks funny)

Airic

I shoot.
Ive never been ordained a "semi pro" but Ill give it a shot:

For me all the action in transitions is happening at the upper abdominals and above. Of courst there is some twisting motion at the waist because you cant help it. Everything below the upper abs is usually dealing with shock and movement. I like to think of it as an abrams tank....turrent is smooth and free to move to fire shots while the bottom is doing all the work to support that

jtischauser

If its a big transition you use everything you got. Your weight will shift from one foot to the other and your torso will twist. The more muscles you get involved the more explosive and fast your transitions will be. Make sure your eyes beat your body to the punch or you will sweep right buy that target.

Some guys like chambers shoot standing pretty tall. Watch max Michel shoot he is in a 1/4 squat all the time. Try both and see which is faster for your physique.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Most of my transitions happen through my knees and at the balls of my feet. For me, I think that's because I also shoot rifle and shotgun. Transitions with a pistol can be done through arms, shoulders, waist, knees, or feet, but for a long gun I think the knees and feet are where you want to move. I have noticed that I'm more rigid than even a lot of the 3 gunners.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
You aren't nearly as rigid as I am...now go eat your Lima Beans and straight to bed NOW, NOW, NOW!

Troy

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks guys, I think I read about using more of your knees for transitions in the Blue Press for shooting the IDPA classifiers and my knees haven't felt all that great lately and I can feel it more when doing the transitions and I was hoping there was another thought about it. I think I'll take Jesse's advice and find which variation works best for me. I do practice looking at the target before I get there, but I still find myself going past the target a bit and having to come back. I don't know if it's too much momentum or not the right amount of eye contact with the target or both. I keep telling myself take it slow and speed will come.

jtischauser

If you find yourself sweeping past the target bring the gun in first then press it out at the targets as your torso squares up with the next target.

Latest posts