Taran Tactical Rifle?

Dan Haught

Fanatic
Anybody here tried one or own one?

I've been looking at getting a new AR to use for some 3 gun matches and thought this rifle looked like a nice piece.

I'm just wondering if anybody here has bought or shot one and if it's all it's supposed to be. I know there are some decent factory 3 gun rifles out now but I figure Stag's got Jesse and Kalani, Colt's got Upchurch, and everybody has shot a JP so why not look at something a little different.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
The Stag 3g rifle is probably the best bang for buck if you want a factory rifle as opposed to building one yourself.

I haven't seen the Taran rifle yet.
You got a link with the specs?

Dan Haught

Fanatic
No, they don't advertise it on their website.
From talking to them it's got:

JD lower
JP trigger
Vltor upper
16" or 14.7" Criterion barrel with custom gas block and muzzle brake
KMR handguard
Custom Bolt
Vltor Stock

Supposed to be the same thing Taran shoots, you know how that goes. Flattest shooting, softest recoiling, most accurate AR on the planet. They claim 1/4" groups @ 100y. with good ammo. Complete rifle is $1800.

I looked at a Stag 3g a year or so ago before I really got interested in going to 3 gun matches. Looks like a nice piece for the money. I'm interested to know how accurate they are.

Obviously anything sub MOA is an awesome AR but I haven't found one yet. I had a LaRue PredatAR on order for a year and a half and it wouldn't shoot a 5 shot group under 1.125" with match ammo and with X-Tac, PMC Bronze, and Federal 55 grain it was more like 2.5-3". I know this isn't bench rest shooting but I want to start out as good as possible to help me out.

jeffhughes

Well-Known Fanatic
I can tell you that for sure Taran's personal lower is a Bushmaster. It's what he has run every 3GN match this year.

Nobody gets closer to the 3GN pros rifles than me and the other 4 ROs.

Dan Haught said:
No, they don't advertise it on their website.
From talking to them it's got:

JD lower
JP trigger
Vltor upper
16" or 14.7" Criterion barrel with custom gas block and muzzle brake
KMR handguard
Custom Bolt
Vltor Stock

Supposed to be the same thing Taran shoots, you know how that goes. Flattest shooting, softest recoiling, most accurate AR on the planet. They claim 1/4" groups @ 100y. with good ammo. Complete rifle is $1800.

I looked at a Stag 3g a year or so ago before I really got interested in going to 3 gun matches. Looks like a nice piece for the money. I'm interested to know how accurate they are.

Obviously anything sub MOA is an awesome AR but I haven't found one yet. I had a LaRue PredatAR on order for a year and a half and it wouldn't shoot a 5 shot group under 1.125" with match ammo and with X-Tac, PMC Bronze, and Federal 55 grain it was more like 2.5-3". I know this isn't bench rest shooting but I want to start out as good as possible to help me out.
you could give me a delton, have me swap out the barrel for one of tonys or doc jj's satern barrels and youll be killing flies at 200yds.
get a stag

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
you could give me a delton, have me swap out the barrel for one of tonys or doc jj's satern barrels and youll be killing flies at 200yds.
get a stag What Mike said I have had a stag since the first left hand rifles came out. Still running the factory 16" barrel and it will shoot under a minute with almost any ammo as long as I do my part. It loves 69 grain SMK Though. If I bought another 3 gun rifle it would be a stag 3G without hesitation then just swap the comp out.

gondo

Well-Known Fanatic
id build your own and get exactly what you want the first time, im with these guys... its all about the barrell, i have the nordic 18" on the upper i built and its stupid accurate compared to the other ARs i have, with that being said i would have got the fluted satern barrel from doctor jj if it would have been in stock when i built my upper and actually im building another upper and plan to use that barrel this time just to try something else...

Dan Haught

Fanatic
I actually had a build planned out but wasn't sure if I should count on taking my first home built AR to matches and expecting it to run awesome. That and the way I figured the cost it would be similar to the TTI rifle.

I don't know anything about Satern barrels but had considered using an 18" Criterion SPR or maybe a Noveske.
I've already got a seekins forged lower I could build.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
both the Satern & the Nordic barrels are great, but the Satern is much lighter.

FlashAndPoof

Active Fanatic
Any chance of a TR1 owner here? Thinking of picking one up during their next 15% off promotion. Not sure to go with the Ultimate or Ultralight.

wav3rhythm

Well-Known Fanatic
Gunnut 23 said:
go with whichever has more writing and logos plastered all over it. those are the good ones
Does it count if you have only afford a cheap AR-15 and have to put stickers on it? I'm saving up for a real laser engraving job from Tony one of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Matt Rigsby said:
All my guns have stickers that say
CYRWUS RACE ENGINES, and Hooker Headers, that way everyone will know I'm ready to burn this stage down really fast.
Like that has ever happened

posted via Tapatalk

Latest posts