Talk to me about revolvers.....

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Trying to make up my mind, and may have come to a partial decision. I want a handgun to carry while hunting, and also just have an itch for a wheel gun. Maybe my J Frame is just that much fun.

Anyway, my ideal hunting pistol is a 10mm Glock, but the price of those puts them out of reach, and I have seen some S&W stainless revolvers (former dept guns) for $350-400. Being able to shoot 38spl makes the 357 a bit more tempting as well. If I get one, I will be shooting it in matches from time to time, so that's a nice cost savings.

Here's my questions....

What models to look at or avoid? the only full size revolver I have owned was a Colt trooper Mk 3. Are Taurus Revolvers worth looking at?

I want the revolver to be DAO, whether by design or by it being made that way after the fact, whats that cost?

What else to consider? Like I said, revolvers are an un-explored area for me, so use small words. How often do they break, or do they? seems like I was told once that they break more often than Semi's do.

Riich

Well-Known Fanatic
What is your budget and what kind of games do you want to shoot?

Most competitive revolver shooters end up shooting some S&W model because of the after market parts, it is easier to get a good action on them and the push motion on the cylinder release enables faster reloads. Rugers are more robust but there is not as much after market support and I've been told it is not as easy to get a good DA triggers on them.

Regarding competions, if you are shooting only USPSA, a 5" S&W 625 is the gun of choice for most. It is set up to shoot .45 ACP rounds in a moon clip. The runner ups are S&W 610 (10mm) using .40 and model 25. The LE trade in guns can be shot in USPSA but you will be slightly behind in the equipment race.

If your interest is more towards IDPA, keep in mind that they have a 4" maximum barrel length requirement but they have two revolver divisions. ESR for revolvers set up to shoot with moon clips (and major power factor). SSR for speed loader guns like the S&W K/L frames that you most often see as LE trade in guns.

If you are fortunate enough to be close to an ICORE club, you can get into it pretty economically with a LE trade in gun in their Classic Division (No dots, comps or moonlips).

Hope this helps narrow down your choices.

No.343

Well-Known Fanatic
Kevin, Come to USSA this Saturday and squad with Roger Davis. He forgot more about revolvers than most of us know. He will be able to answer your questions, particularly about competing with a revolver. There will probably be a few more revolver shooters that will help you. Hurry and talk to Roger before he forgets everything.

ldp4570

Well-Known Fanatic
#343 is right on the money about Roger. I always have a blast shooting with him. He's a member of our club in McAlester, and until it got cold, we got to shoot every Wednesday, and the second Saturday of the month. Great guy, and always ready to help out, plus give advice!!!

dennishoddy

Well, you said you wanted a revo to carry while hunting.
I'll agree with the above that the S&W's are a great choice for all the right reasons. Ruger as has been said has some trigger issues, but they aren't insurmountable.

When I'm hunting with my pistols, (revo's) I carry a Ruger, as they will take a full power .44 magnum hand load and never look back. My S&W's only get factory loads. Big difference in the two loads.

Hunting with a Semi, Its .45ACP +P in 180 grain. I've taken several deer with both.

Latest posts