Switching Pistols

Baby Seal Club

Active Fanatic
So being brand spanking new to competitive shooting sports, I was wondering when do you upgrade from a factory gun you have to one designed for competition?

Do you wait until you find your current gun is the limiting factor (instead of your competition experience) and there are no more upgrades to get it where you want it?

Or do you go ahead and get a new pistol designed for competition and start generating experience with it?

Or do you use some other criteria all together?

Curious what everyone's perspectives are on the matter and really couldn't find a post that covered the topic.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
You will always be the limiting factor in the equation but shooting a $5000 infinity is about 25% easier then a $500 stock Glock.

Make the easy upgrades (sights & trigger) then dry fire and live fire practice until you wear out the gun or the fun. The more matches you can shoot the faster you'll get better at the game too.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
It also depends on the factory pistol. If I remember right you've been shooting a Beretta M92?
It might not be a bad idea to move to a Glock or an M&P for match purposes.

If I had a coulda shoulda moment and could go back in time I would've started with a G34 or G35 and shot it until I knew exactly what I wanted to do from there. Upgrades are cheap"er". You may stick with a Glock or other forever many do and have a blast beating up on shooters with more expensive hardware.
Take TDSA AP1 class sooner rather than later and have fun no matter what you do

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Wall said:
It also depends on the factory pistol. If I remember right you've been shooting a Beretta M92?
It might not be a bad idea to move to a Glock or an M&P for match purposes.
Yeah the Glock/M&P lines are much easier and cheaper to get race ready.

Baby Seal Club

Active Fanatic
Went out on vacation for a bit so sorry for the delayed response. I've been shooting a Sig 229 9mm.

My particular situation is that I've not really shot competitively, but have shot tactically and been through a few multi-week courses in that regard. I have also shot tens of thousands of rounds with the M11 which operates pretty much the same as my 229. That's only to say I am really comfortable with the firearm and don't notice the DA/SA and can work the weapon through failures without thinking about it. That is not to say I can't use more advice/trigger time/classes. Classes are good to correct bad habits that may creep in. ;-) and I am a complete newbie when it comes to shooting competitively so I welcome any and all advice or training in that regard. And trigger time is always good. Can't get enough, ever.

So specifically in my regard, was curious how experience with a firearm stacked up to upgrading that firearm to something more designed with competition in mind.

Appreciate all the advice already given.

Baby Seal Club

Active Fanatic
Jason Grant said:
If I had a coulda shoulda moment and could go back in time I would've started with a G34 or G35 and shot it until I knew exactly what I wanted to do from there. Upgrades are cheap"er". You may stick with a Glock or other forever many do and have a blast beating up on shooters with more expensive hardware.
Take TDSA AP1 class sooner rather than later and have fun no matter what you do
Thanks. What did you start with and what drove you to switch (not switch) to what you shoot today?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Baby Seal Club

Active Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
Yeah the Glock/M&P lines are much easier and cheaper to get race ready.
Cool. Understand I might be starting a Ford/Chevy stream, but in your opinion what do you see as the tradeoffs between the two? Is it in where they start out of the box and once you get to customizing it really doesn't matter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry a Glock, having said that I have both a 9mm and a .40 S&W M&P Pro. The trigger in my .40 is untouchable by any Glock. It was done at Accurate Iron several years ago. Ymmv but, I'm sending a vote for the M&P for USPSA purposes.

FortyMikeMike

Well-Known Fanatic
If it were me in your situation I would stick with the SIG that you already have a ton of trigger time/training with and shoot production (or whatever sport/division tickles your fancy).

Sounds like you are very comfortable with the SIG platform that you have. To me being able to "work the weapon through failures without thinking about it" is more valuable than being able to put the latest wiz-bang mod on my gun because that's what everyone else is shooting.

If you get bored shooting a factory gun in production THEN switch to something else.

Latest posts