Swarovski Z8i

Jesse Tischauser said:
you're affinity to sucking.
thats exactly how you got all your infinities!
Bill Dickinson said:
Hahaha nope, I went to quads.
at a certain point, youll have to shoot a match to be able to still call yourself a threegunner

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
mike cyrwus said:
thats exactly how you got all your infinities!

at a certain point, youll have to shoot a match to be able to still call yourself a threegunner
Yea so, maybe I didn't shoot last year. I'm coming to your house, with scotch and bartering for a rental rifle.
By bartering I'm going to beg, like a non man. Please don't tell anyone.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
mike cyrwus said:
dont make me break out my burk memes
Yea, let's leave this one be, it's bad enough when I at the sex offender list to make sure no one around me is scum Burk gets an Honorable Mention.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Just a short interruption, but I've had a look at the Z8i.
Initial impression is that the Z6i is marginally better at 1x, the Z8i is also less forgiving on eye placement. And it also have what's called pulse width modulation in flash light terms. Meaning the dot flickers. The Z6i only have this on the night setting, but the Z8i have it on both.
If you don't know what I'm talking about put your Z6i on night mode, look through it and move it around sideways or in a circle, you'll see the dot create a dot pattern as it travels around. The Leica Magnus also have this on both settings, which is one of the reasons why people chose the Z6i over it even though the Leica is just as good on other optical qualities.

I'll try to get a better look at it later, this was just on an outdoors fair, so conditions weren't optimal.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I've never noticed my dot flicker on any of my three Z6i scopes. I figured 1-8x would be less forgiving. I'll probably get one to use for those matches with lots of long range from 300-600 like fallen brethren.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
You have to move it around without looking at the dot to see the flicker, but yes. ideal setup for me would be a Z8i for just the matches where a slightly slower optic with more magnification is the optimal option. And then use the Z6i for everything else.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
I've looked at it more and so have a lot of guys over here. The production model is better than the one I looked at in April, they have increased the frequency of the dot light so it doesn't flicker, and optically it's as good as the Z6i, but still slightly less forgiving on eye placement. There's a thread on a Norwegian shooting forum about it, some people notice it, some don't. Some people think it has better edge clarity and other's dont. And one guy still thought the Zeiss V8 was so much better he sold his Z6is and Z8i and replaced them all with V8s.
So I guess the conclusion is that Z8i and V8 are the two top 1-8 optics at the moment. For me the V8 is perfect for all kinds of matches, both hosing and more technical matches.

jtischauser

What reticle are they using in the V8? They all looked like crap to me. They only reason to need or want a 1-8 over a 1-6 is if the reticle is as good or better then the BRT IMHO. That reticle is the best or a close second best out there for 3-gun/action rifle shooting.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Virtually no one in Europe use BDC reticles. For Swaro it's the LD-I reticle and the V8 only comes in reticle 60 yet I think (http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_de/hunting/riflescopes/victory-riflescopes/victory-v8-riflescopes.html#reticles)

I don't understand how a bdcreticle can be of any use at all personally, the marks never match your ammo for anything useful anyway, but I guess it's what your used to, and probably maybe some differences between IPSC rifle and 3gun.
The Zeiss V8 comes with an optional target turret with different rings to match your ammo, the number 4 ring matches my ammo exactly from 0 to 400 meters, and it's marked in 100 meter increments, so you always know exactly where you're going to hit.

jtischauser

slemmo said:
Virtually no one in Europe use BDC reticles. For Swaro it's the LD-I reticle and the V8 only comes in reticle 60 yet I think (http://www.zeiss.com/sports-optics/en_de/hunting/riflescopes/victory-riflescopes/victory-v8-riflescopes.html#reticles)

I don't understand how a bdcreticle can be of any use at all personally, the marks never match your ammo for anything useful anyway, but I guess it's what your used to, and probably maybe some differences between IPSC rifle and 3gun.
The Zeiss V8 comes with an optional target turret with different rings to match your ammo, the number 4 ring matches my ammo exactly from 0 to 400 meters, and it's marked in 100 meter increments, so you always know exactly where you're going to hit.
So you hold over with the cross hairs or dot on every target? Or do you mean you guys don't use a reticle that built around a specific load but you do use a mil dot type reticle?

What's the max distance you guys shoot? What size targets are you shooting at 100+ meters?

Latest posts