Swarovski Z8i

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
So you hold over with the cross hairs or dot on every target? Or do you mean you guys don't use a reticle that built around a specific load but you do use a mil dot type reticle?

What's the max distance you guys shoot? What size targets are you shooting at 100+ meters?
Well, the entire Norwegian national team shoot V8s with no bdc reticle now. Usually I will click to whatever setting that I can shoot center on each target for the entire stage if possible. For about like 80% of a typical IPSC match this is going to be possible, because you only have 1-3 long range stages, and for stages where you shoot targets 200-250 and closer you're almost always going to find a zero that works for all targets. Basically, a bdc reticle is not neccessary anyway. If I have a stage with plates at 150 meters, paper at 200 and maybe 30, 70 or whatever I click to 150 to be poa on the 150 meter plates, and just shoot center on the other stuff too. If theres a stage where you can't find an exact setting that works for every target I'll just memorize the targets where I have to aim high or low. Which is basically what I do when shooting anyway, normal stage prep for me is to visualize poa on every target in the stage.

At the nordic championship this summer there was one stage with 380 meter paper targets, for that stage all of us clicked to 380, shot center, then clicked to 200 and shot the rest of the stage centerish poa. Except for the 380 meter paper it had targets from 250 to 70 meters, so 200 zero for the rest of the stage was pretty spot on. For the rest of the match I just clicked the turret to the most appropriate setting for the stage and just shot it. For the few occasions where you have to click mid stage the turret is big enough so you can turn it while running almost as fast as adjusting zoom. And it's probably only going to be needed maybe once or twice in an entire match.

All IPSC targets are typically used for 100+ meters. Standard and mini IPSC targets, standard and mini poppers + large and small plates.

The ring I'm using now corresponds with 55grs S&B in my 20" barrel. 1=100 meters, 2=200 and so on.

MikeF said:
I don't use the reticle, just the dot. Both Swaro and Zeiss have plenty daylight bright dots.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
slemmo said:
Well, the entire Norwegian national team shoot V8s with no bdc reticle now. Usually I will click to whatever setting that I can shoot center on each target for the entire stage if possible. For about like 80% of a typical IPSC match this is going to be possible, because you only have 1-3 long range stages, and for stages where you shoot targets 200-250 and closer you're almost always going to find a zero that works for all targets. Basically, a bdc reticle is not neccessary anyway. If I have a stage with plates at 150 meters, paper at 200 and maybe 30, 70 or whatever I click to 150 to be poa on the 150 meter plates, and just shoot center on the other stuff too. If theres a stage where you can't find an exact setting that works for every target I'll just memorize the targets where I have to aim high or low. Which is basically what I do when shooting anyway, normal stage prep for me is to visualize poa on every target in the stage.

At the nordic championship this summer there was one stage with 380 meter paper targets, for that stage all of us clicked to 380, shot center, then clicked to 200 and shot the rest of the stage centerish poa. Except for the 380 meter paper it had targets from 250 to 70 meters, so 200 zero for the rest of the stage was pretty spot on. For the rest of the match I just clicked the turret to the most appropriate setting for the stage and just shot it. For the few occasions where you have to click mid stage the turret is big enough so you can turn it while running almost as fast as adjusting zoom. And it's probably only going to be needed maybe once or twice in an entire match.

All IPSC targets are typically used for 100+ meters. Standard and mini IPSC targets, standard and mini poppers + large and small plates.

The ring I'm using now corresponds with 55grs S&B in my 20" barrel. 1=100 meters, 2=200 and so on.

I don't use the reticle, just the dot. Both Swaro and Zeiss have plenty daylight bright dots.

Hmmm...that is very interesting. Dialing dope on the clock sounds super slow to me. I think the big difference between 3-gun and IPSC is the hit factor scoring versus a hit to neutralize the target. We never shoot paper past about 50 yards. The A zone of the ipsc target is roughly 6"x13". That's more then half as narrow as the standard 15" circle with 5" square on top MGM Flash target we see at 200-350 yards. At 350+ yards we usually see full size uspsa silhouttes targets with strobes or at least C zone steel flash targets. With hit factor scoring you have to hit two alpha because your hit factors are so low accuracy is paramount. In 3-gun first shot hits and target transition speed wins.

But in the big scheme of things we are both just memorizing our dope. Your just changing yours dependent on the stage. Whereas I know my BDC marks are 55/180, 305, 400, 485, 550

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Right, the long range stages in IPSC are usually low hf, so dialing once on those is not going to kill you. The high hf stages are always the shorter range ones. But we don't shoot just As, the A percentage for top shooters are somwhere between 70 and maybe a bit over 80 maybe. If you push for speed a few Cs here and there doesn't matter, but shooting Ds is a big no no of course.

This is the 380 meter stage I was talking about. This is not me, and the guy on the video didn't dial. But most guys on the supersquad dialed when jumping down from the table after shooting the 380m targets, and shot it 10-20 seconds faster. So not a lot of time was lost doing it anyway.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7oOwmuXLmA[/media]

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
slemmo said:
Right, the long range stages in IPSC are usually low hf, so dialing once on those is not going to kill you. The high hf stages are always the shorter range ones. But we don't shoot just As, the A percentage for top shooters are somwhere between 70 and maybe a bit over 80 maybe. If you push for speed a few Cs here and there doesn't matter, but shooting Ds is a big no no of course.

This is the 380 meter stage I was talking about. This is not me, and the guy on the video didn't dial. But most guys on the supersquad dialed when jumping down from the table after shooting the 380m targets, and shot it 10-20 seconds faster. So not a lot of time was lost doing it anyway.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7oOwmuXLmA[/media]
wow those points are really low compared to big pistol matches. Those guys strive to shoot 90-95% of the points.

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse Tischauser said:
wow those points are really low compared to big pistol matches. Those guys strive to shoot 90-95% of the points.
The winner at the nationals this year had 74%, I came fourth with 70%. Teemu Rintala who won the nordic championship won it with 70,2%.

Latest posts