Swamp People

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
Have any of you seen this show on the History Channel? It is primarily about alligator hunting season in Louisiana.They buy tags for them and basically put out baited hooks and lines in the swamp. However, once they get one on a line they pull them in and dispatch the critter.

The surprising thing is what they use for that. I don't know if it is the only allowable weapon
but they primarily have .22LR rifles. Some bring out the big guns- .22 Magnums! They shoot them in a small spot right behind the eyes where their hide is vulnerable. Messing around with those monsters in this fashion takes some SERIOUS cajones!!! :eek:

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
Pretty amazing though, taking out up to 12 footers with .22s. I can understand not messing up the hides with bigger firearms. However, I wonder if they are really restricted to only .22LR or .22 Magnum rifles and pistols. Plenty of hunting and history in those swamps down there- one of the few decent shows to watch these days.

DuraCoat29483

Fanatic
I was able to go gator hunting here locally, and got 2. The first one was 7'9" and tagged him w/ a Mini-14. The second I got in a 16" John Boat, with a fishing pole. He dragged me 1/4" mile before I was able to go backward to wrestle him on shore. Shot him 6 time in the head w/ a 22 lr. Total time was 45 mins from hook to landing. Measured 10'4". Those boys from LA make it look WAY EASIER than I found it to be, that or I am just not as good, OR great editing on the part of the producers! I dont know how to post images, but they are on eastcoastgunshop.com website.

mcdaniel

Well-Known Fanatic
DuraCoat29483 said:
I was able to go gator hunting here locally, and got 2. The first one was 7'9" and tagged him w/ a Mini-14. The second I got in a 16" John Boat, with a fishing pole. He dragged me 1/4" mile before I was able to go backward to wrestle him on shore. Shot him 6 time in the head w/ a 22 lr. Total time was 45 mins from hook to landing. Measured 10'4". Those boys from LA make it look WAY EASIER than I found it to be, that or I am just not as good, OR great editing on the part of the producers! I dont know how to post images, but they are on eastcoastgunshop.com website.

Might not want to tell anyone about that, Bang stick or Pistol only in South Carolina. I could be wrong and I didn't look up the law before posting this, but I think I am right.

Midnight Raver

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone been watching Season 2 lately? A native american father/son team were using a .17 HMR rifle to off their gators, don't know who makes theirs though. The most popular gator hunter named Troy Landry wound up getting a new hired gun named Liz. She's been doing this stuff since she was little with her father and is a pretty good shot. Uses her daddy's .22 magnum, looks like an old Marlin bolt action. Another guy who hunts them with his dad borrowed somebody's .22 Magnum single action revolver- might be a Ruger. He likes that pistol, it does a pretty good job on them gators and is better than a rifle- especially when you are doing it alone! Only a few shows left now, it's on at 9:00 tonight up here!

I must remember to check on the rules and regs on Gator season in Louisiana to see what firearms are allowed!

Halfcocked

Well-Known Fanatic
mcdaniel said:
DuraCoat29483 said:

Might not want to tell anyone about that, Bang stick or Pistol only in South Carolina. I could be wrong and I didn't look up the law before posting this, but I think I am right.

On public and WMA hunts your right, but on private property hunts which is what he was on, it's not an issue. I introduced to him to a very good friend of mine thats been harvesting gators on some of the local plantations for the last 15 to 20 years. Until the price of hides bottomed out he was buying 40 to 50 tags a year, and using them. My son caught a 11 foot 4 inch gator on a penn reel and 100lb test spider wire when he was 15 and my daughter caught a 10 foot 6 inch when she was 18.
michaelsgator.jpg

KricketandGator.jpg

e03b.jpg

Skinning.jpg

Glockrunner

Well-Known Fanatic
From DNR. SC.gov "Alligators must be secured and brought to shore or alongside boat before dispatch. No shooting of free swimming or basking alligators is allowed in this program. No rifles are allowed, but handguns and bangsticks are permitted for dispatch. No bait, baited hooks, set hooks, or pole hunting is allowed (see regulations for more information about methods)."

Halfcocked

Well-Known Fanatic
Glockrunner said:
From DNR. SC.gov "Alligators must be secured and brought to shore or alongside boat before dispatch. No shooting of free swimming or basking alligators is allowed in this program. No rifles are allowed, but handguns and bangsticks are permitted for dispatch. No bait, baited hooks, set hooks, or pole hunting is allowed (see regulations for more information about methods)."

The key words there are "this program", this program refers to the lottery hunts. We hunt under the depredation program, the same kind that let farmers kill deer at night. Been doing it for the last 15 years under the supervision of the SCDNR and their Biologist. The public harvest has stricter guidelines because of the public areas that are hunted on, We manage the gator population of three different plantations ranging from 1500 acres to 9000 acres.

SuperChuck

Well-Known Fanatic
Probably one of the main reasons they use .22 caliber weapons is they are cheap.. cheap to shoot, cheap to practie with, cheap to maintain, and - because any gun thats stored in a boat a lot risks getting lost or ruined from prolonged exposure to water - cheap to replace. The noise level is not so annoying, and ammunition is readily available.

Way back when, my dad had an old Ted Williams 22 Pump he bought from Sears, kept it stored in his boat, it was literally a "boat gun".. It was cheap and effective, a 22 well placed shot can take anything in SC.. from squirrels to hogs... It's not IDEAL, but in the right hands it is capable of doing the job..

He capsized the boat and lost all the gear.. tackle, rods, and gun... back when river boats were strip cypress boats with 5-10 HP motors on them, it wasn't uncommon to capsize from time to time, for various reasons. The replacement truck/boat gun was a Marlin .22.. Simple, reliable.

If its not a legal restriction, I'm sure its simple economics.. A $6-8.00 box of High Velocity CCI .22 rounds goes a long way.

SC

BTW, after growing up hearing all the tales of the things he did with that "lost .22" me and my brothers located a High Standard Pump 22, the manufacturer of the Ted Williams Sears Models, and suprised him with it for Fathers Day.. I think we all have that twinge of nostagia for our "favorite" guns whether we still own them or not. My personal favorite is a Ruger 10/22 that I've probably shot 15,000-20,000 rounds through, and instinctively points like its part of my hand..

mcdaniel

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for setting me straight. I learn something new everyday. I didn't really know there were hunts outside of the lottery.