Suggestions on a good entry level competition shotgun

jhenke

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm trying not to break the bank here but I'd like to try a 3 gun match out here and I'm looking for something to get me started. What is my best bang for my buck? Pun totally intended.

P.E. Kelley

Well-Known Fanatic
Kurt has said he likes the CZ712 as an inexpensive alternative. I wouldn't argue with that. (the dude knows shotguns)

However I did just pick up a Stoeger M3000 (newest offering) and put a case of shells though it in about 30 minutes. (I had some help)
It runs! It is inertia driven. It looks to be solidly made. It takes Super Nova extensions.

I am going to "port it" for loading and have it on hand as a loner / beater and see if it holds up.
An article will be along somewhere in the process.

Oh and under $500

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
The CZ 712 Utility has a 20" barrel. A +3 tube extension sticks out past the barrel about an inch and gives you 8+1 capacity. You can get the shotgun for around $450 or so. Tony at Make Ready Pro Shop has the tube extensions for $76, fiber optic front sight for $30 and mushroom button safety for $26. A Nordic bolt handle would complete the package but everyone has been out and they haven't made any in months. For about $600 you can be ready to roll with a 712.

Freedom Shooter

Well-Known Fanatic
I know where a SLP MARK 1 Tactical is right now it has a plus 4 tube on it and a 2 shell holder plus a xl large lever. Sooner State Pawn its my old one has less then 8 matchs on it

jhenke

Well-Known Fanatic
That's a hell of a drive. And the FN is out of my price point. Thanks for the info guys. I'm comfortable shooting my AR and pistol but have little experience with a shotgun. But I would love to shoot the local 3 gun in july. Gotta start somewhere, right?

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
jhenke said:
That's a hell of a drive. And the FN is out of my price point. Thanks for the info guys. I'm comfortable shooting my AR and pistol but have little experience with a shotgun. But I would love to shoot the local 3 gun in july. Gotta start somewhere, right?
Unloading the shotgun is easy. Loading it is the hard part. Practice it at home wih some dummy rounds. Check out the AP Customs, TACCOM or Carbon Arms load two setups. They are very easy to be fast with.

Latest posts