Stupid Shotgun question about 3-Gun

ez bake

Well-Known Fanatic
Are you required to have a shotgun that is capable of shooting 3" mags or will a 2 3/4" gun work?

Reason I ask is that I've seen a couple of really good deals on 1100s lately and I have looked into some of the mods required to make the 1100 a reasonably decent gun for a few thousand rounds (I'm not particularly into shooting shotguns for practical/tactical matches, but I want to give 3-gun a try and I don't have a ton of money for an SLP or m1 at the moment). I get enough shotgun shooting in with the little bit of skeet and duck/upland hunting I do each year.

I figure a trip to Steve Baldwin and a few of the mods I've looked at will get me through at least a year or two of 3-gun (since I doubt I put more than 1000 or so rounds through it per year), but I don't know if I'd need an 11-87 or just stick with an 1100 on one of these good deals I've been seeing lately.

I've finally gotten enough strength back that I've been doing some shooting (and I've recently found out that I have nerve-damage in my right arm, but physical therapy is actually helping somewhat, so carbines are getting easier again).

All in all, I hope to attend either the Jan or Feb Practical Carbine match in Tulsa, but I'd like to at least give a 3-gun match or two a try.

So - do I need 3" of shotgun shell capability or will a puny 2 3/4" do?

Chambers

actual GM
How cheap are you talking? A used M1 for six or seven hundred is the better route, IMO.

Nobody shoots 3" anything in 3-gun. It's not fast enough. :)

ez bake

Well-Known Fanatic
How cheap are you talking? A used M1 for six or seven hundred is the better route, IMO.

Nobody shoots 3" anything in 3-gun. It's not fast enough. :)

I've seen plenty of 1100s (fixed mod choke, non-vent-ribbed barrel) for $200-$300.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I've seen plenty of 1100s (fixed mod choke, non-vent-ribbed barrel) for $200-$300.

JP Enterprises used to pimp out an 1100 for 3 gun so an 1100 is useable. It requirtes maintenance and TLC and tehre is some weird loading deal yo ahve to buy for it. I'm not familiar with it but it can work just be ready to make it work.

If you can afford to I would spend the $600-700 on a used Benelli then give Mike Cyrwus $400-500 more to make it race ready. You would have the best of the best. If you can't shoot 3 gun or don;t like it you could turn around and sell it for exactly waht you got in it or more to any one of the guys wanting to get into 3 gun.

Spending $1000-1200 on a race ready shotgun is a lot of moeny but its about the cost of a decent AR or a decent 1911 or less than a 2011.

My take on the competition guns is buy right the first time so you don't have to buy the 2nd time.

folly

Active Fanatic
There are a couple of things that make an 1100 usable in 3gun, assuming you are willing to accept the occasional malf. I shot an 1100 for a year in 3gun before buying an M1. The 1100 is softer shooting because of the gas system, but it also requires a lot more maintenance. There are a few modifications that make it work, though. It's almost all gas system work except for the EZ Loader. Without that you'll never load an 1100 with any speed.

Like I said, you can certainly run an 1100, but you have to run good ammo, keep it immaculately clean and dripping wet with oil. And you still may have the occasional FTE. It happens. It's a gas gun. It's a good starter, but if you want to get in the race, look for an M1 or M2.

If you need any info or help with an 1100, let me know. Oh, and don't get a fixed choke unless it's a vent rib and you have the cash to get the barrel cut and threaded for chokes.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
There are a couple of things that make an 1100 usable in 3gun, assuming you are willing to accept the occasional malf. I shot an 1100 for a year in 3gun before buying an M1. The 1100 is softer shooting because of the gas system, but it also requires a lot more maintenance. There are a few modifications that make it work, though. It's almost all gas system work except for the EZ Loader. Without that you'll never load an 1100 with any speed.

Like I said, you can certainly run an 1100, but you have to run good ammo, keep it immaculately clean and dripping wet with oil. And you still may have the occasional FTE. It happens. It's a gas gun. It's a good starter, but if you want to get in the race, look for an M1 or M2.

If you need any info or help with an 1100, let me know.

Hey Sean is here! Great to se you buddy. i was hoping you would help us out with the 1100 questions.

stay away from 1100's . For 3g, anyway.

They look like something from rube goldbergs workshop when you open em up.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
What Mike said!

Hey Sean, somebody better tell Eric Miller he can't load fast without the EZloader. I don't think he knows about that! :)

folly

Active Fanatic
I'll let him know, and while I'm at it I'll make sure he knows that he *can't* be competitive in 3gun with his shotgun.

:)

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Not sure anyone said that they weren't competitive, but alrighty then..

If you have an 1100, shoot it. If you are looking to buy a relatively cheap gun to get into 3-gun, find a used one or borrow one of ours until you decide what works. I haven't cleaned my M1 Benelli since before the 3-gun nationals in September and have run at least 3 flats of shells through it since. Running like a top. The 1100's will run, but as mentioned before take quite a bit of oiling, ring replacements, and kind thoughts.
The new Mossberg looks like it might be an alternative to the 1100. It isn't quite as soft as the 1100 and will require either cutting the barrel or special ordering one without the ports, unless you want to shoot open.

You will get a million opinions on this subject, but one thing is for sure. Shoot what you can and shoot it often. Shotgun is only 1/3 of the game (and not even that much, really)..

Mike

Latest posts